Pontiac GTO Forum banner

start up problem...

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Eric Animal 
#1 ·
This is so weird never seen this before. I havent started my car in 2 weeks and its been really cold lately, I decided to try and start it up today since it was pretty warm here in jersey and the battery was completely dead so i was like well its ok ill just charge it up.... As soon as i plug the battery charger and turn it on the car starts making all these weird noises. Im not cranking or anything the key isnt even in the ignition. Its like the batteryy is giving power to the car and just keep giving it and going like eeeeeeekkkkkkshhh. Anyone know whats going on?

#5 ·
You have a short to ground somewhere. That's why the battery went dead. Voltage is getting used up at all times (closed circuit). You need to hook the battery up, get a fire extinguisher handy, and see what's making the racket. You can isolate it by disconnecting power or pulling fuses until the noise stops. Possibles MSD (was fine until you installed it), ignition switch, starter, etc.

#7 ·
Could even be a stuck solenoid or relay trying to energize something. 1) disconnect the battery cables 2) charge and check, or replace the battery. 3) Install new battery, but leave the + cable off. 4) attach a test light to the + terminal of the battery and the clip to the positive clamp on the cable. 5) if the light bulb in the test light comes on, you have a draw somewhere. The brighter the light the bigger the drawer.......find the draw using process of elimination. :willy: Eric

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.