Starting Issues - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Starting Issues

I have a 67 GTO convertible with a 400 4bbl engine. It has been finicky to start since I had the car (about 2 yrs). If I use it constantly, there are little issues. If it sits for a couple of days, it is hard to start, some times requiring starting fluid. Always get it to start with that. Now it was finicky and would not start. I went to try again, turned the key and nothing. Dead silence. The dash lights and radio come on but no cranking at all. Could be wiring to starter or something else. Anyone run into this issue (and solved it).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Garage
Start diagnostics with the basics. Clean both battery connections, check grounds at battery and engine to the firewall.

Report back battery voltage. Charge if needed. If suspect, then take it to corner parts store they can load test it.

Do the "headlight test" = if the battery is fully charged, turn on headlights and crank engine. The light should NOT dim too much.
If they do not dim at all - then the ign switch or starter may be bad. If lights dim a whole bunch (and you already determined the battery is good and connections are OK) - then the starter is probably bad. These are not the easiest to remove - but you can test this at the corner store also - if you take it out.

DK

<)))>><

"Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you." - Saint Augustine
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 03:09 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Have run into this issue on several GTO's I've owned, including my current '67 I've had for 36 years now. Your initial problem is fuel evaporation...the fuels of today will evaporate out of the float bowl on a Q-jet in 3-4 days if it's hot out. The no crank when you turn the key is 95% the purple S wire that runs from the ignition switch to the solenoid. Mine was bad about 1" from the switch. To verify this, turn the key to 'on', get under the car, and jump between the purple S wire on the solenoid and the B+ wire. If it cranks, you've found your issue. 95% of the Pontiac people I've run into with this issue over the years always seem to think a mini starter, Ford solenoid, or heat shield will fix this issue. Almost always, it's the purple S wire. I've had 9 GTO's....and have worked on many more. Never needed more than a stock starter. But the circuit (S wire) has to be GOOD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in