Starting Problem - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Starting Problem

I have a 1967 GTO with 400/turbo 400. The wiring under the hood is not all factory correct and the engine was rebuilt around 15 years ago. I have had the car about 12 years. It has basically sat in a garage for the past 9 years. Driven but not the "extra" care a car that old needs.
For the past few years I have had a very difficult time starting the car after the engine has warmed up. It acts like a weak battery. Even with a new battery it still does it, and gets worse as the battery becomes weaker. I usually have to let it sit, allow the engine to cool down, then it will start right up. However if the battery is weak, it will not start at all. When I jump it, it will start and continue to run.
What is going on? Does the heat of the engine cause the battery cable to get too hot? Starter getting hot? Battery not strong enough? (Due to economics, I have only put an advanced silver battery.)
I really need to get this problem fixed. I finially have the time to start enjoying my car again. Thanks in advance for any help.
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 07:44 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
It sounds like it's the dreaded starter heat soak. You could either replace the starter or try a heat shield between the starter and the exhaust.
Check your cables too.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 08:22 AM

Garage
Could also be your tune. An engine runs differently cold than hot, when it's cold you have high idle and choke, that can affect how it starts compared to when it's warm. When it's warm the carb is operating differently and if you are a bit out of time, or if the mixture is not great it can really change your ability to get it started. I agree that since it sounds/acts like battery that it could easily be starter/solenoid/battery cable but remember a car that sits needs regular starts and adjustments, you will get buildup in your carburetor, and fuel lines and crap on your plugs. Check everything since she's been sitting, cleaning and re-gapping your plugs, check the timing, take her for a cruse on the highway at 65-70 blow that crap out of her systems. It will do a world of good.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Make sure your ground straps are all intact. Many times the heat soak issue is a ground problem. If the motor's been out, the straps may not have been reinstalled. Ask me how I know...

When the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I will start with the easiest and work my way up. It did it again. I went out the other night to pick up some food, and needed to be jumped. The next morning I went out and it fired right up.
The starter on the car is an Advanced starter. Could the cheaper starter be doing it? Also, I am not sure about the ground straps. Where could I find out where the attach to? I am not very familiar with this but I do have the ability to fix it if I know what I am looking for.
Lastly, did the 67 GTO come from the factory with a heat shield around the starter?
Brian
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 08:45 AM

Garage
This might help. They are just braided straps that run from the block or heads to the frame or firewall ... or all of the above. Read this thread it will give you some pictures too.
Happy to help a brother out.
https://www.gtoforum.com/f12/turn-sig...34/index2.html
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 10:05 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
WVmtnman: you have a high resistance problem in your starting circuit. It could be in the wiring (probably is) or starter, or switch, or all of the above. I would replace the underhood wiring harness with a new one from the vendors (I just did my own '67's...what a difference) and I would check out the grounds and battery cables very carefully. resistance increases with temperature, so when it gets hot, it won't start. I had this very same problem in my '67 for years, but not anymore. I replaced the bad wire at my ignition switch (purple wire) and the underhood harness took care of the rest. Be sure that your starter and battery wires/cables are well insulated and are running thru the metal tube at the rear of the exhaust, and make sure the tube is not touching the exhaust manifold, too.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvmtnman View Post
Thanks for the help. I will start with the easiest and work my way up. It did it again. I went out the other night to pick up some food, and needed to be jumped. The next morning I went out and it fired right up.
The starter on the car is an Advanced starter. Could the cheaper starter be doing it? Also, I am not sure about the ground straps. Where could I find out where the attach to? I am not very familiar with this but I do have the ability to fix it if I know what I am looking for.
Lastly, did the 67 GTO come from the factory with a heat shield around the starter?
Brian
its not ground straps. the starter is grounded directly to the ground cable. yes it could be the starter. make sure you have a hi torque starter and its not dragging.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 03:00 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
I've never seen a ground cable connected to the starter on any GTO. Mine have all been grounded at the fender to rh wheel well, the firewall to back of the head, and the back of the engine to firewall...along with the negative batt cable to the head bolt. The starter gets its ground thru its mounting to the block, and the block and chassis need to be grounded to each other to work properly. That said, it very well could be a bad starter.....I would replace the already mentioned spliced/worn wiring, and while that was being done, remove the starter and take it to an old time rebuilder for a check out. This is a 44 year old car....to be reliable, it has to be repaired/checked thoroughly....
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
I've never seen a ground cable connected to the starter on any GTO. Mine have all been grounded at the fender to rh wheel well, the firewall to back of the head, and the back of the engine to firewall...along with the negative batt cable to the head bolt. The starter gets its ground thru its mounting to the block, and the block and chassis need to be grounded to each other to work properly. That said, it very well could be a bad starter.....I would replace the already mentioned spliced/worn wiring, and while that was being done, remove the starter and take it to an old time rebuilder for a check out. This is a 44 year old car....to be reliable, it has to be repaired/checked thoroughly....
part of electrical trouble shooting is thinking it through. the starter is directly connected to the block which is directly connected to the ground cable that is bolted to the head bolt. the positive cable is directly connected to the starter. when the starter is engaged it makes a complete circuit. the body ground straps do not come into the equation so we can eliminate that as the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in