Stock 67 GTO not so stock - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Stock 67 GTO not so stock

Did anyone experience the following? I bought a 67 Goat a year ago. It's black with a red racing stripe on the sides; black interior; 4-spd man. transmission. Am trying to keep it as stock as possible. I just received historical info from PHS. Paperwork had the correct VIN#. Car came out of Pontiac MI Ivory on the exterior and red on the interior; Hydramatic transmission. That blew me away. Am now thinking of customizing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 01:25 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Yeah, not uncommon to change the color. That's why you get the PHS before you buy. Mine was painted white when I got it. And who ever painted it white really wanted it white! They removed all the windows, under the package tray was white, all window channels were white. They also removed the vinyl top and threw away the trim, which was almost impossible to find.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukee View Post
Yeah, not uncommon to change the color. That's why you get the PHS before you buy. Mine was painted white when I got it. And who ever painted it white really wanted it white! They removed all the windows, under the package tray was white, all window channels were white. They also removed the vinyl top and threw away the trim, which was almost impossible to find.

Wow. that's crazy.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
CUSTOMIZE IT!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO 004.jpg
Views:	7518
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	25209   Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO 001.jpg
Views:	82303
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	25217  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 09:53 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Not uncommon for semi bland factory colors to be changed, etc. over the decades. Usually, white or gold cars are changed to more eye-catching colors. Why someone would want to paint a Blue Charcoal '65 GTO white is beyond me. I can understand why anybody would change a car to black, though. It's a universally classy color that always looks great if done right. If you want to modify the car, you should do it. It's your car and your choice. Have fun and enjoy it. To put the car back to white/red/automatic would be expensive and wouldn't get you much enjoyment, IMO. But, before modifications, do the research. Most mods affect other related (and even non related!) systems on the car, and it can snowball into a ton of work--very rarely can you do just one modification and have it work out.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 10:02 AM

Build what you want

I had the same choice on my 1966, PHS report shows it was originally Palmetto Green with black interior and a black vinyl top, 389 4V with 2-speed auto trans and console, power steering, but manual drum brakes and A/C.

After a re-do sometime in the 90's and 15 years in a barn the only thing left original is the black interior, which needs to be redone. It now has a 455 with a Turbo 350 auto, no vinyl top (I'm NOT mad about that!), and red paint that has faded to orange.

Since the original drivetrain is long gone and I'm not a fan of Palmetto Green, I decided to build it the way I want to drive it. I'm starting next week on a power 4-wheel disc brake conversion and will be putting in a Muncie 4-speed as soon as I pick up a flywheel and clutch kit. Paint and interior colors are undecided as yet but I will probably pick one of the original colors. No offense to you green lovers but it's just not for me.

Good luck to you whichever way you decide to go, there's good arguments for going stock and original as well. The best thing is that it's YOUR car and YOU get to make the choice!

Randy
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67GTOGIRL View Post
Did anyone experience the following? I bought a 67 Goat a year ago. It's black with a red racing stripe on the sides; black interior; 4-spd man. transmission. Am trying to keep it as stock as possible. I just received historical info from PHS. Paperwork had the correct VIN#. Car came out of Pontiac MI Ivory on the exterior and red on the interior; Hydramatic transmission. That blew me away. Am now thinking of customizing it.
The key question to ask yourself is this one:

Who are you building the car for?

If you're building it for someone else (i.e. trying to maximize resale value) then usually 100% original is the safest route. However, if you're building it for YOU to enjoy, then do whatever you like with it and make no apologies

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in