User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to ksucatz
Suspension Bushings

Hi all. New to this board and had a quick question. I picked up a slightly used 1972 Lemans Sport with a 350/TH350. So far, I have replaced front brakes, shocks all around, and installed a better radio. I drive this car a lot, and what little rubber suspension bushings that are left are making terrible noises. I am looking at a complete front end kit from PST and wondered if the Polygraphite were better than polyurethane? Any comments on either would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 06:39 PM

I think you'd be happy with either of them. They are for the most part the same thing.

Or you can use the "if it costs more it's better" and buy the more costly one, which usually is true. But i don't have any real input from 1st hand experience.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 07:06 PM

Last spring I refitted my '67 with Prothane urethane bushings in the A-arms, front swaybar, rear control arms, and installed a full body bushing kit, plus I put KYB's all the way around. Man what a difference the new bushings made, especially the body bushings. They got rid of all the annoying squeaks and rattles and buzzes that come with an old car. But be aware that the urethane bushings are stiffer than stock rubber bushings, so it will firm up the ride some. Personally I love the tighter feel, it doesn't feel like the body is rolling and wallowing around on the frame.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I replaced my front and rear upper and lower control arm bushings, upper and lower ball joints and the bushing and links on the front sway bar. I used Energy Suspension which is polyurethane.

Randy

Last edited by 05GTO; 01-06-2007 at 08:01 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 07:36 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I restore and build a lot of musclecars, and I've done a lot of suspension rebuilds. I use stock rubber bushings in everything I build, and they hold up great. They don't squeak, they don't come loose, and they feel great. Fact is, you cannot get enough traction on a street tire to compress a stock rubber bushing to the point that you can feel the difference in the alignment under extreme cornering. The poly bushings are a marketing gimmick made popular by racers who have enough driving exerience and traction to be able to tell the difference. For a street car, the stock rubber is great stuff, and it's very reliable. Simply replacing the 35-year-old bushings with new bushing of any type will get you an incredible improvement in handling and "feel." The stock stuff does the job remarkably well.

For a complete article on how to pull the suspension apart and rebuild it with new bushings, drop me an e-mail request to:
[email protected]
This paper is specific to the C2 Corvettes, but the cars are the same as a GTO on the front end procedure.
Contact me with any questions.
Lars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in