tach - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
tach

my HEI distributor took a crap last week, car has been out of commission all summer and it would be 10 days before a new one would get here. So I bought an OEM from auto zone to get the car back on the road. Everything went smoothly. But afterwards my tach was acting funny, jumping around sticking or increasing at a rate that was impossible (35 mph 3rd gear read 8k at one point). Did this for the first day. The second day it just stopped working, when I start the car I can see the needle move but it never goes above zero. There was no problem before I switched distributors/coil. Checked the fuse its good checked wiring everything appears sound and in proper place. If you have any opinions on what I need to check please let me know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 11:01 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I suppose it's possible that the other dizzy going bad may have taken the tack out. I would disconnect it till your replacement comes.
By the way, I absolutely hate autozone, yes they have cheap parts, but they have cheap parts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

I understand that rukee, there was a pontiac performance shop right down the street from me for years. I buy a pontiac and they close. I just couldnt wait so I went the fast and easy rout. I hope it didnt wipe out the tach its all new internals.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

One more unrelated question for the day then i am done for a bit. I am a Process operator by trade, i run chemical processes, identify and trouble shoot problems, but fixing problems well thats not my problem. So this beast of a car, i am trying to do as much work myself as i can, learn a new trade, a hobby, save money what ever the reason its my car should be my work. with that said i do have help, with the previous pictures i loaded of the broken axle its become apparent that before i bought the car it had a nasty case of wheel hop, fender wells are beat up, axle was broken rims bent yadda yadda yadda. So i put in the new 12 bolt, new rear suspension really got on it today and it hopped in 2nd and in 3rd. Tried to get on her from a stop bad hop there also, between those three times it cost me a set of rear tires, side walls chewed up. Pinion angles are correct everything is mounted correct, can a bored .030 over 428 put out that much torque? Do i need traction bars? stiffer suspension? One day i would like to take the car to the track and see what it will run, but i need to keep the weeks on the ground. Oh replacement HEI came, installed and tach works again, think it may be a lil off right now but it works, weird just plain weird.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 06:22 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
2 words...Drag Bags. :yep:
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 06:34 PM

I agree with Rukee...Autozone parts suck. I take more stuff back there than its worth whatever savings you get. Time is money and have to do things two or here times over because of poor quality parts sucks.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Hei distributor back. Traction bars installed wheels stay planted. Still having issues with tach. As of now it only works after I wash the car. And seems to only work right in the 3k to 4k range. Once past 4500 it jumps straight to 8k. And blow 3k it just dances.wiring problem or bad internals? Internals were replaced about a year ago
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Just to make sure... Your tach is compatible with an HEI, right? The tach from an original points distributor, is not. They can be modified, but out of the box, they're not compatible.

When the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Yes. Last year when I switched to hei I changed the tach
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in