Tell me, where have all the good times gone? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tell me, where have all the good times gone?

Ma & Pa look back on all the things they used to do, never had no money and they always told the truth... Sing along, you know the rest.

A little off topic, but had to share this guys. My 16yr old is hanging out in the driveway with a few buddies on Saturday. I come pulling up in the 66, and the guys are kind of thinking "cool", look at the shiny red paint.

So, I say hey, lets check out the best part and open the hood-- Here is how that conversation went:

Me- What do ya guys think?
Boys- mmm, grunt, ya, ok
Me- Anyone know how cubic inches this thing is? (look at the pic below)
Boy #1 - Umm, 34?
Me - Cmon now, try again
Boy #1 - hesitation... 455??
Me- Yes!
Boy #2 - Wow, how did you know that?
Boy #1 - Ahh, it says right there (as he points to the air cleaner)
Boy #2 - Ohhh
Me - Do you know how many cylinders this eninge has?
Boy #3 - 4?
Me - With all of that time playing video games, dont you guys at least play NASCAR once in a while ?

Man, it was killing me! I could have been driving a rusty Honda, and they would have been about just as excited.

I guess the times they are a changing!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	engineLR.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	359.1 KB
ID:	21042  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 06:57 PM

Garage
That's funny! My son is 26 and he loves my car. He's been driving it since he got his drivers license 10 years ago. He doesn't know all the specs but he knows it's fun to drive. I'm sure he can tell you how many levels are in Call of Duty and I can't.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 07:01 PM

Different times,different generations and different interests. Funny how things change.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 08:51 PM

lemmeouddahere

I have most parts compiled for my time machine. Closing in on the correct frequency. Only lacking a couple of components, and when I find 'em, I'm outta here! I find absolutely NOTHING about any of this even remotely amusing.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 08:59 PM

rad

Leeklm, is that a 3 or 4 core radiator in that baby?
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 04:48 AM

Hey gjones do you have an extra seat in that time machine? I'll bring lunch.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Was at the local ice cream shop thursday cruise in last year with my 19 YO daughter who helped me with the build and a guy walks up while i am getting cones. looks at the badges and say it's just a 326 to his son. My daughter corrects him and says..."no it's a bored and stroked to 473 with 6X heads". Needless to say she has already claimed the car as hers, i take her to the Metro park to let her drive it around, still leary of letting her take it on the open road, but happy to say she has earned it with her interest.

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Written and recorded by Ray Davies, of The Kinks. What do I win?

When the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
Written and recorded by Ray Davies, of The Kinks. What do I win?
I have always been a little partial to the Van Halen version myself It was just playing in the shop on my ipod the other day, which made me think of it for this story!

By the way, not sure how many cores in the Rad, it came with the car, and I never really paid close attention to it! I am thinking it may just be one wide core, but will check it out.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 09:06 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Garage
It is always about the times and what interests Dad's instill on their children. I took my daughter out in the '68 Lemans the summer I got the 400 rebuilt and in. Now its nothing special to look at as it is in light grey primer, I was interested in getting it mechanically rebuilt, running, and driving. She was 15 and lives 800 miles away. I was burning tires, chirping gears, and giving her that pushed back in the seat feeling along with rapid shifts and the howl of the dynamax mufflers. She loved it. Next summer I flew her in for a visit. She was 16, had her learners permit and I put her in the seat. Took her up a quite 4-lane, told her to slow down a bit, then told her to downshift and mash the pedal and hit the next gear. Opened it up several times and spun the belt off the alternator. In subsequent visits, I was informed to have the Lemans ready and running as she wanted to drive it. I would let her take it out by herself and have fun. She of course now claims the car should I kick the bucket. I told her by the time I kick the bucket, I will be 105 and she will be 74, so it will be a long wait. She is now 22 and has a 2005 Honda V6/5speed and I get to hear all the guys she races and beats on the "avenue". All her speed shifting has busted a halfshaft already and worn out a couple of the syncro's on her transmission which she wants to rebuild because she can't shift it fast enough now. Yeah, times are different, cars are different, but the spirit remains the same. Let your kid have the wheel with you in the passenger seat and his buddies in the back seat, tell them all to keep the drive a secret, and find a quite deserted road and show how an "old car" really hauls on a straight stretch. If that doesn't fire him up, you probably won't have to give him that "man to man talk about sex" because he simply doesn't have any testosterone or adrenaline.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in