Is there any way to do this? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there any way to do this?

I would like to find my father's old GTO. It's a 1969 Pontiac GTO Judge, pretty rare car to find anyways. This was a true Judge, not a clone, that's why I think it might be more possible. My father has no idea that I would like to find his old car, but neither him, my mom, or my brother know the VIN anyways. I do not talk to my family except my brother anyways, so I'm not for sure if the car was sold in Maine or Missouri. Is there any way to find this old car if I know my fathers Name and social? Is there any way to track the title or find out the vin of the car with this information? The reason I would like to find this car is for my own personal reasons and sentimental value (I may not talk to my family, or like my family, but I still love my parents).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 09:41 PM

Sounds like a pretty cool thing to do, but dude, you are gonna need to find the VIN to have any chance of locating it.
There might be a chance that the original selling dealership may have some sort of record, but that's along shot. With vehicle registrations, everything is cataloged by the VIN, so without that, it's gonna be very difficult indeed. You may try and start from the beginning, and find out who the next owner, after your Dad, and work from there.

Best of luck to you with your search.

Russ

21st Century Muscle, The Soul of a Legend!

70 Palladium Silver HT 400/AT *SOLD* Elvis has left the building.
2004 YJ M6
2008 IOM G8 GT
Secretary, Newsletter Editor, Webmaster, Susquehanna Valley GTO Tigers
http://svgto.com
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 10:14 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
If you were lucky enough to find the car you would probably pay between
60 K and 130 K depending on the condition. Without a vin or a record of the sale your chances of finding this car are 1 in 6,725.

Good luck with your search for the Judge.

Randy

Last edited by 05GTO; 09-12-2007 at 08:19 PM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

So, say my father took out a loan for this car in the early 70's, possibly 1972 I think. Would I be able to track the bank that he took the loan out through and then would they still have any record what-so-ever of the VIN/Title of the car?

Oh, and I'm not necessarily trying to mend the relationship with my family, but my dream car is a 1969 Pontiac GTO Judge (PHS, not clone), 400ci Ram Air IV, Hurst shifter 4 speed Muncie, Grabber Orange/Carousal Red, spoiler, the 69 Judge stripe from the front quarter panels to the rear windows, hide away headlights, etc. You might understand, I love this car. I had one, but I was young and stupid and rodded the hell out of it and got rid of the car. I just think it would be neat to own the one my father worked so hard to get because he really wanted the car when it was sitting at the dealership. He traded his 1967 Malibu, his baby, and took out a loan for the rest of the car and took forever to do it. The car, even though I personally never owned it, has a lot of sentimental value to me just from the stories everyone including my father told me when I was a kid about "Skip's Judge" and how he never lost a race except to another 69 Judge that drove all the way from Kansas City down to Springfield, MO just to race my father. Truth be told, if I find this car, I'm going to buy it and I'll probably only drive it on Friday and Saturday nights and it'll sit in my garage the rest.

Last edited by soshannon; 08-28-2007 at 11:19 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 10:51 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There is no central tracking method for VIN numbers/cars. Most States do not share VIN or registration data with each other, and most States will not give out VIN or registration info, even when they have it. Banks are no source for tracking info. Unless you know where the car ended up in advance, chances of finding a specific VIN car are close to nill... In doing this in the past, I have had to contact each individual State's Motor Vehicle Office to see if they will do a search on the VIN (you cannot do anything at all without a VIN). A few States will do it if you talk to the right person, some States will do it for a fee (I've had to pay up to $50 for a VIN search with some States), and other States won't do a VIN search at all. Some States will do the search and verify that the car is registered in the State, but State privacy laws prevent them from telling you who the owner is or where it's located, unless you are a law enforcement agency.

69 Ram Air IV 4-speed Judges (real ones) are in the $100K range now, so be sure your wallet is fat...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 11:19 AM

soshannon,
You could try here:

http://www.judgeregistry.com/

Maybe if you contact these guys and give them as much detail about the car, as in where and when it was sold, maybe you might get lucky and find the person who owns it may just be a member!

Long shot, but hey, what have you got to lose.

Russ

21st Century Muscle, The Soul of a Legend!

70 Palladium Silver HT 400/AT *SOLD* Elvis has left the building.
2004 YJ M6
2008 IOM G8 GT
Secretary, Newsletter Editor, Webmaster, Susquehanna Valley GTO Tigers
http://svgto.com
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 12:31 PM

To do this with any accuracy at all, you're going to need the VIN. Since it's a surprise for your Dad, you should talk to your Mom about contacting the state DMV where you lived when it was bought, registered, etc. For a fee, they may be able to look up your old records. Maybe, just maybe their insurance company -- if it's the same one as they use now. Places like banks? No way.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 07:40 AM

Lot of good info above. Like eveyone said, U need to find the vin. Without that your dead in the water.

If you DO find the vin# , a good place to start would be finding someone you know, a friend who is police officer. They have access to resources that may help.

Still a longshot.

Good Luck!!

Kevin
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 07:37 PM

Just a few ideas for things to look for...old insurance policies that might have the VIN. You might try your state archives and see how far they hold tag/title information. What about the dealership where he bought it? Any chance they might have something.

I agree that the chances are slim to none. Back then there were no computers (other than humongous mainframes) and people kept all their records on paper. After about 5 years, they dumped the paper. But your best chance is with the state or banks.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in