User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Think a Chevy engine swap is bad?

Saw a feature on the news last night about this guy doing "engine swaps" (actually motor swaps) on classic cars to keep them on the road in the 21st century. Was an interesting feature, but hate to imagine him doing GTO's.

So, which would you rather see somebody desecrating a Pontiac with, a Chevy engine OR an Electic engine? (Maybe from a Tesla!!)

What do you all think?

http://www.zelectricmotors.com/

Last edited by 1968gto421; 03-08-2019 at 12:25 PM. Reason: grammar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 06:06 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968gto421 View Post
Saw a feature on the news last night about this guy doing "engine swaps" (actually motor swaps) on classic cars to keep them on the road in the 21st century. Was an interesting feature, but hate to imagine him doing GTO's. What do you all think?

Yes, very bad idea and the sorry ass way out of keeping a Pontiac engine. It's not like they don't make aftermarket Pontiac blocks or heads IF there never existed another factory Pontiac block on the planet.

Why not a Ford, a Mopar Hemi, Caddy, Olds, Buick, or a turbo-charged front wheeled drive engine/subframe fitted to the chassis?

So here is the real reason why many think Chevy is the way to go - aftermarket Pontiac cylinder heads and intakes are capable of making power far exceeding what the OEM blocks can handle or were ever designed for. So to get to the levels that these parts are capable of, you would want to go with an aftermarket block designed to handle, and take advantage of, what these parts can produce in HP/TQ. This cost dollars$$$. Used LS motors are often cheaply sourced through junkyards, just like any throw away Chevy small block.

People will find ways to keep a "body" of their choice driveable no matter what the driveline, but why it always seems to be the Chevy push is beyond me. Eventually you will not see "classic cars" on the road much as interest in them will die off just as the generation who now enjoys them will die off.

How many "original" cars from the 1920's, 1930's, and 1940's do you see at a car show? Very few. Most of them are modified whether it be the driveline, body, or interior. Very few have original engines and for good reason - try finding parts for a 1930 Frankin. BUT, if there was a big following of the Franklin, then aftermarket would produce most all the parts to keep it running into the 21st century to include engines. With our Pontiac's they do produce most all the parts needed to keep it running into the 21st century - to include several aftermarket block choices. So for anyone to blow smoke up your butt and tell you they are doing a Pontiac to Chevy swap so the car will continue to run into the 21st century is full of himself and flat out ignorant to Pontiac engines, or how to build/rebuild them, and only has the coin to buy a cheap junkyard Chevy.

In my opinion, the Oldsmobile is less desireable than the Pontiac and yet why don't we see all the Chevy swaps going into them? Hmmm, like aftermarket Pontiac, there is a new cast iron block which makes it no excuse to slip in a Chevy. I would re-engine my GTO with an Olds engine before stooping so low as to muck it up with a Chevy - https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-te...iller-casting/
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I saw some boutique place was converting old muscle cars to electric power. They certainly aint cheap.
No thanks.

To me, a GTO is defined by its Pontiac engine. I had my experience with LS engines, Turbo V6s and even early Wankel engines. They each have their place, but not between the fenders of GTO. (Not counting Holdens)
1968gto421 likes this.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
" Think a Chevy engine swap is bad? "

Yes. Very bad !!!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Guess maybe I'm a purest

New here at the forum, but been a Pontiac guy for years. Never understood why someone would swap a Chevy engine into a Pontiac, particularly a GTO. OK, back a couple of decades ago, not much "stuff" was available for Pontiac engines, but all that has changed. While it's true, it will cost more to put together a Pontiac engine, the end results are worth it. The bottom end torque of these motors are very street friendly. Yes high RPMs aren't their friend, unless the bottom end is modified, but keep them below 5800 or so and they will surprise a lot of people.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 02:52 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim View Post
Yes, very bad idea and the sorry ass way out of keeping a Pontiac engine. It's not like they don't make aftermarket Pontiac blocks or heads IF there never existed another factory Pontiac block on the planet.

Why not a Ford, a Mopar Hemi, Caddy, Olds, Buick, or a turbo-charged front wheeled drive engine/subframe fitted to the chassis?

So here is the real reason why many think Chevy is the way to go - aftermarket Pontiac cylinder heads and intakes are capable of making power far exceeding what the OEM blocks can handle or were ever designed for. So to get to the levels that these parts are capable of, you would want to go with an aftermarket block designed to handle, and take advantage of, what these parts can produce in HP/TQ. This cost dollars$$$. Used LS motors are often cheaply sourced through junkyards, just like any throw away Chevy small block.

People will find ways to keep a "body" of their choice driveable no matter what the driveline, but why it always seems to be the Chevy push is beyond me. Eventually you will not see "classic cars" on the road much as interest in them will die off just as the generation who now enjoys them will die off.

How many "original" cars from the 1920's, 1930's, and 1940's do you see at a car show? Very few. Most of them are modified whether it be the driveline, body, or interior. Very few have original engines and for good reason - try finding parts for a 1930 Frankin. BUT, if there was a big following of the Franklin, then aftermarket would produce most all the parts to keep it running into the 21st century to include engines. With our Pontiac's they do produce most all the parts needed to keep it running into the 21st century - to include several aftermarket block choices. So for anyone to blow smoke up your butt and tell you they are doing a Pontiac to Chevy swap so the car will continue to run into the 21st century is full of himself and flat out ignorant to Pontiac engines, or how to build/rebuild them, and only has the coin to buy a cheap junkyard Chevy.

In my opinion, the Oldsmobile is less desireable than the Pontiac and yet why don't we see all the Chevy swaps going into them? Hmmm, like aftermarket Pontiac, there is a new cast iron block which makes it no excuse to slip in a Chevy. I would re-engine my GTO with an Olds engine before stooping so low as to muck it up with a Chevy - https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-te...iller-casting/
This pretty much nails it. The only old cars that are consistently kept original that I know of that are plentiful are the Model T and Model A Fords, because virtually all parts are readily available. Not so much with your Franklin of Huppmobile. Chevrolet small blocks and LS engines are cheap and plentiful, and can make good power. For the uninformed and unexperienced, they seem like a logical solution. Funny how I've easily kept my antiquated Pontiac powered GTO's with points ignition and carburetors not only running in the 21st century, but running for the past 40 years. Simple maintenance assures that. The people I see going for different engines and extensive mods are people that have little or no actual 'wheel time' in one of these cars. A well maintained stock vintage Pontiac is a reliable, powerful, comfortable means of transportation. The trend of the future is in modified cars, though, and this can be seen in all makes. Many younger people can't believe an 'old car' can be reliable and usable as-is, and therefore, modify them with generic engine transplants, etc. I drive mine cross-country, and will continue to do so. Well into the 21st century, on Strato-Streak power!
1968gto421 likes this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 01:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Going contrarian on you here. I put a big block Chevy in my red 65 hardtop along with a 12 bolt rear end back in the 1970s. Also a 400 series three speed transmission, but it was a Pontiac case with extra ears welded on to bolt up to the chevy engine. It was a simple case of economics. After changing Pontiac engines a few times and having only one high performance outlet for them (at budget breaking prices), it was an easy choice. I even have a hole drilled in the firewall to change out a head freeze plug, so I did not give up on Poncho engines quickly. Lots of HP for an inexpensive, bolt in swap. Started with an L88 427, went racing a few times (12.15/ 113mph 1/4 mile), sold it for a streetable 396 that I drove through college. Later, I built a 454 and installed 2.73 posi gears in it for a freeway flyer. My son got it out of storage in 2005 to drive to high school a couple of times and promised not to do burnouts in the parking lot. He did anyway, but managed not to do any body damage.

All of the posts bagging on Chevy engines (motors are electric) also point out that any power made is by after market Pontiac blocks and heads, so they are not really driving factory iron. I admire and respect anyone wiling to make the effort to restore one of these cars. I prefer to have an easily identifiable body wrapped around an easily updated drivetrain.

Boo and Hiss at me all you like, but I have owned and driven this car since high school (1971), and have no plans to restore it. In fact, I will be making one change when getting ready to (finally) repaint it. I hated catching a sponge or cloth on the Pontiac emblem on the trunk every time I washed the car, so it is going. Maybe I will have an emblem painted on in its place, maybe not, but that is one piece of chrome I will not miss.
1968gto421 likes this.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in times of great moral crises maintain their neutrality.

-Dante Alighieri
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Thanks, all. I really wasn't trying to get thoughts on Chevy swaps. Heaven knows that rant has been done enugh.

I was trying to see what you all thought about people pulling out their Pontiac engine (or Chevy if they've done that) and CONVERTING THEIR GTO/LEMANS (OR CHEVELLE) TO TOTAL ELECTRIC POWER FOR THE 21ST CENTURY. Here is the link to to news story info that was on the news (forgot to include it in post #1 .

ZELECTRIC MOTORS

Sorry for not being clear.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 11:46 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Knuckledragger, I appreciate your post. My '65 GTO is a 'day two' car with lots of chrome and some mods under the hood from the 1970's....I'm not going to remove/restore that, either. Part of the history of the car. I've had mine about 10 years less than you have had yours. There's a gent on this forum (Alky GTO) who has a blown, alcohol fueled GTO and has had it for years. And we all love the car. As a side note, I hear you on that damn Arrow emblem on the trunk. That, and the Arrow emblem on the hood of my '67 has snagged MANY a rag and California Duster over the years...real PITA. Looking forward to driving the '67 down to the Bakersfield March Meet tomorrow!! Again, thanks for the post. As a hotrodder and a car guy, you are appreciated here.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim View Post

This pretty much nails it. The only old cars that are consistently kept original that I know of that are plentiful are the Model T and Model A Fords, because virtually all parts are readily available. Not so much with your Franklin of Huppmobile. Chevrolet small blocks and LS engines are cheap and plentiful, and can make good power. For the uninformed and unexperienced, they seem like a logical solution. Funny how I've easily kept my antiquated Pontiac powered GTO's with points ignition and carburetors not only running in the 21st century, but running for the past 40 years. Simple maintenance assures that. The people I see going for different engines and extensive mods are people that have little or no actual 'wheel time' in one of these cars. A well maintained stock vintage Pontiac is a reliable, powerful, comfortable means of transportation. The trend of the future is in modified cars, though, and this can be seen in all makes. Many younger people can't believe an 'old car' can be reliable and usable as-is, and therefore, modify them with generic engine transplants, etc. I drive mine cross-country, and will continue to do so. Well into the 21st century, on Strato-Streak power!
Love Pontiac motors but to be fair it's crazy money compared to chevy on hp and torque . As far as olds snd Buick you can't beat their 455 if built correct . Back in early seventies I got whip by many. I sm dtill a purist but have no problem with snd LS swap with a t56 . BUT still love my 400 gto. Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in