5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thinking of buying a 70 GTO but I need schooling

Hi all,
Recently I have saved up enough money to afford to buy something. One of the many things that came to mind was to get a new car. So for a couple months I have been browsing the internet at cars from a new Mustangs or a GM muscle car. I don't really like the new Mustangs but their easy to buy and you know exactly what your getting. I really would rather own an old muscle car but their a great distance away from me to go look at and I am not experienced or knowledgeable about what to look for so I know what condition the car is in and what it is worth. I am not looking for a show car but just a Sunday driver that I can take to car shows. So I don't care if the numbers match or the color is original. I just want a solid car that has never had major rust damage and never been wreaked.
I have found a few 70 GTO's I like but I'm not sure how to proceed. I can't travel 100's of miles just to find out it was not as advertised.
Is the old muscle cars market something that should only be played by wealthy collectors? I mean are they only for museums or do people drive them like normal fun. Back in the late 70's early 80's I owned a few muscle cars but I was 20 years old and a poor dumb kid that couldn't afford keep them. Now 40 years later I start thinking of buying one only to find out very few were good cars before they were restored.
Is it possible for me to hire someone to either help me buy one or find one for me without charging me more than I could afford? Or is this something I can do myself because I have wrenched a lot on my previous Chevelle's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
I've seen "places" on the net that advertise providing a "car check out service" for folks in your situation. I have no direct experience with one so keep that in mind. Personally, I do not believe that the muscle car hobby is just for old rich guys --- I'm olde, but I'm a darn long ways from "rich". I wouldn't recommend having one as a daily driver that you have to depend on for most people, but other than that there's no reason to hesitate in my opinion. The 'daily driver' thing is an acknowledgment to the fact that most folks including me like to warm these cars up significantly from their factory state, and l have to admit that does have an effect on reliability, plus when they do "go down" for some reason it tends to take longer to get them up again just from simple parts availability if nothing else.

One thing to consider is insurance. Covering one of these cars is a little different. I recommend getting some sort of classic car coverage that allows you to specify the valuation as opposed to being subject to what some disinterested adjuster "thinks" your car is worth in the event something bad happens. Some of these policies have restrictions on how much and under what conditions you are "allowed" to drive your car so be careful. I personally have my GTO covered through Hagerty. I have no restrictions on where or how much I can drive it, there's a 'rider' on it that will provide long distance towing coverage if I need it, and there's no hassle over value. Several years back I had an engine fire in this car that was emotionally devastating in addition to the damage it did to the car --- and the way they handled the whole incident, with caring and absolutely ZERO friction or conflict, made me their customer for life. There are probably other companies that will take similar care of people.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

No it won't be a daily driver just a pleasure driver. It's more a time capsule for me to go back and have the muscle car I always wanted but was too young dumb & poor to achieve.

glad you mentioned insurance and the different coverage and all. Good information to know for sure thanks. I should find an insurance Co before I go out and buy a car.

I've seen engine fires burn the whole car up. VW beetle engines are made of magnesium and can't be put out with Co2, they just sit and watch the whole beetle bake. Sorry it had to happen to you cause it feels as bad as wreaking your car.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
You might be a candidate for an 05-06 GTO. Have you looked at those at all? I have both a newer 05 and older 68 and each has it's own reasons for enjoyment. Over the years I have owned several different models

I have to admit....the 05 GTO ranks right up there among the most enjoyable cars I have ever owned. There are folks that prefer the classic GTOs and really don't care for the newer versions but I like them both. The 05-06 comes with the LS2 engine and some performance upgrades compared to the 04 model. If you are a car guy, there are a lot of interesting and fun things about these later models.

1970 is cool as well. Just tossing out some alternate ideas for your consideration.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinist View Post
No it won't be a daily driver just a pleasure driver. It's more a time capsule for me to go back and have the muscle car I always wanted but was too young dumb & poor to achieve.

glad you mentioned insurance and the different coverage and all. Good information to know for sure thanks. I should find an insurance Co before I go out and buy a car.
Sounds like a plan! You might just do some general research into companies available to you and compare features, restrictions, coverage, etc. an see if one seems to fit. Most won't cover you until you have a specific car so there won't be a lot you can do in detail. You'll notice I didn't mention price or cost. This kind of insurance is not something you should buy based on price. This is something you buy for when you actually need it and hope to goodness that you never do. Where the rubber meets the road so to speak is how well they treat you if you ever DO need them. That's all that matters, and it's why like I said, I'll be with Hagerty forever.

I've since repaired nearly all the aftermath of that fire. There's still a couple small places in the hood where the paint is slightly bubbled, and you can see some slight warpage if you get it in just the right angle, but it's not horrible. I might go ahead and fix that over this winter - maybe. I'm in Texas near Fort Worth so I can drive it pretty much year 'round though, and I did just finish a fresh engine build so.... who knows?

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
To me, this is a very interesting thread. Makes me think of what I'd do if in the same situation.

My favorite car is a '69 GTO. The only new car I've ever bought was a '69 RA3 4-speed GTO, and I loved it.

But, what would I buy now ? For me, or anybody else looking to own a GTO, I suppose the 1st thing to consider is exactly which year body style you like the best. For me, that happens to be a '69 1st, followed by a '65. But, opinions differ.

Since this car, nor one I'd buy, would have to be numbers matching, or anything even close, that opens up the options quite a bit. For example: I like the torque of a 455 or similar size Pontiac engine. Well, neither a '65 nor a '69 came with a 455 engine. But, in this case, that don't matter. You can buy either one today, with the bigger engine, if you don't require numbers matching or period correct. Or, you can buy one with a smaller engine & swap in a bigger engine, keeping the smaller one for possible future use or sale, with the car.

For me, price would be a big concern. Many, if not most nice real GTO's are, to me, WAY overpriced.

Therefore, I'd probably look for a Tempest or Lemans, rather than a real GTO. There are lots of real nice clones out there. Hey, I like many of the non-GTO A-bodies just fine. And, they can run & drive just as good, when properly equipped. I especially like the looks of the '71-'72 Lemans & T-37.

I also like the looks of the rear deck Judge wings, on the '69-'72 A-bodies. Some don't. Color is a big thing to me. Obviously, any car can be painted some other color. BUT, at today's prices, a good quality paint job can cost many thousands of dollars. So, color & paint quality has to be a consideration, when car shopping.

With all this in mind, if I had unlimited funds, I'd look for or have built a Black '69 Judge. Wouldn't have to be a real GTO, just a good clone. But I'd want a good 455+ engine, probably with Edelbrock alum D-port heads, an original 455HO alum intake, a correctly built 800 cfm Q-jet, & a 4-speed Muncie, with a Hurst shifter & T-handle. I'd want a good aftermarket 12-bolt rear, with 3.55 gears.

And, since I'd have unlimited funds, I'd also have a Silver '65 GTO clone, with the same engine, trans, & rear. And, since I love bracket racing, I'd have a Pontiac bracket car set up like I want it, plus a real nice dually truck & alum trailer. But hey, enuff(too much) about me.

Hope some of this will give you some idea to help you decide on what kind of Pontiac YOU want.

Just for kicks, it might help some of the guys here to know what your max budget is for this car. A $25k car & a $50k car can be worlds apart. And there are lots of GTO's advertised for well over $50k. But, in some cases, you'd be paying mostly for the numbers matching, and originality, which doesn't sound like what you're lookin for.

Anyhow, good luck. Hope you find a good deal on exactly the car you want !
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
21'st century GTO's were mentioned.

I'm an old school Pontiac freak. To me, the last Pontiac engine was a 301, & the last decent Pontiac engine was a '79 400.

I'd much prefer a 455 powered X-body '74 GTO, to a late model.

But, if you wanna save lots of money, you can go with '82-up Chevy powered stuff. There were some nice lookin 3rd gen Birds. And some of the 4th gens look real good. You can have a real nice late model Pontiac for 1/2 the price of a real nice REAL '64-'72 GTO, and in many cases you can save a lot more than 1/2.

But, then you won't have a '60's -'70's era Pontiac powered Musclecar.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 07:08 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
A 1970 GTO is a classic year, desired by many. Do your homework and buy the best car you can. You are better off with a western car or southern car that has never been restored, and has always been a 'driver',IMO. It will be a more 'honest' car, without covered up rust or flaws, or shortcut restoration hacks. It is very expensive to restore one of these cars properly, upwards of 60 grand, so you are better off buying a 'survivor' type car for less than half that, or a PROPERLY restored car with DOCUMENTATION. There is an original paint '70 here in town, original owner, with a 4 speed. Car is in solid #3 shape, and is daily driven. Not for sale, but they are out there. I recently (well, 2 years ago) missed the boat on a very clean original loaded '68 GTO that was a one owner car that sold for 12k. You never know. Again, buy the best car you can, and if in doubt, get it inspected by a pro. Money well spent. I have two GTO's, a '65 and a '67, and have driven them for the past 35+ years. They've never been restored. I just got back from a 700 mile weekend trip in the '67. Living the dream!
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the reply post guys, I've just started my research into buying a 1970 GTO and this being the 1st & only forum I feel like I'm making good progress. Which gives me hope that I can make it happen.

To be more specific I have a cash in hand budget of $50K. But I would be willing to do 60K if the car is really great or a solid frame & body that needs restoring. And I am looking for a 70 GTO with Muncie in white, red, silver/gray or blue. I like the 69 GTO's and Chevelle's too. But to be honest with you guys there's a hole in my heart where a 70 GTO once was but I'm sure a 69 would close it up. It don't need to be numbers matching or a winning show car, just needs to be rust & crash free, and a real GTO. The one I use to own was a white Judge.

BTW that video BearGFR really gave me a kick, felt 10 years younger. Awesome that it's recent, meaning it's live now not a long time ago.

I think it's truly amazing when like somebody has owned a car for 30+ years and has kept real good care of it, kudos for being able to not sell it for profit. true dedication and love there gotta respect that.

It'd be real easy for me to go to the dealer and buy a new Mustang GT 350. It so simple compared to finding a good 50 year old muscle car. But its not what I really long for. It doesn't fit my personality , I just never evolved past year 2000. Instead I got stuck. And I'm not alone I have meet other people. For some reason I felt the need to share that. (its been on my mind).
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 01:37 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
For that much money you should be able to get a really nice car. You might consider joining up with the GTOAA (GTO Association of America) - just to start getting the monthly newsletter, The Legend. In the back there's a classified section and there are always cars for sale. - Nice ones too.

https://www.gtoaa.org/

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in