User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
64-67 Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Tripower VS Quadrajet

I'm beginning a new thread in hopes of generating a discussion and getting some input. I have heard that a well set-up Q-Jet on a stock intake manifold can be made to outperform a Tripower setup on a stock intake. This debate has gone on for decades, but I'm trying to verify the facts. Here's what I know: all things being equal, in my personal experience, the tripower produces more power. I ran the stock Qjet and intake on my '67 GTO (stock 400 with 9:1 compression) and it ran fine. I installed a '66 tripower setup on it and it ran much stronger....felt like a 50 hp gain. I then re-installed the correct intake and carb, and it's been that way ever since. I recently read an old article in HPP where a gent with a '68 GTO with a 428 and a TH400 ran 13.40 or so in the 1/4 mile with his stock Q jet and intake. He made 3 runs, all in the 13.40 range. He then bolted on a '66 tripower, and making no other changes, proceeded to run off three consecutive 12.8's or so. He picked up a full half second. This was on the same day, under the same exact conditions. In my opinion, the tripower flows for cfm, and gets a denser charge of fuel to the cylinders due to the shorter runner lengths on the intake....you have a carb close to every cylinder. I think the confusion comes in because in '67, after the tripower was banned, the magazines were saying that a 4v 400 could beat a 6v 389. They wanted to sell GTO's, and wanted the public to know that the GTO was in no way diminished. It wasn
't: the '67 400 had more cubic inches and far superior cylinder heads and exhaust manifolds. It could beat a 6v 389 with a single 4v. BUT: what if the tripower were bolted on to that '67 400?? The 428 in the test showed a huge improvement. My own '67 showed a huge improvement, though it was a "seat of the pants" measurement, as I did not run the car at the track. It seems that the real racers out there are running a big 4 barrel carb. But, what I want to know is, can a Q-Jet on a stock intake be made to run stronger than a tripower? I'm open to all answers!!! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 03:13 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
erm, sure if the Tri-Power is not set up correctly, but for the most part a Tri-Power set-up flows more air then a 4bbl.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 03:32 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Unless this is a hypothetical question, the first thing that came to my mind is, will the gains of a tri-power outweigh the additional maintenance of a tri-power? I'm assuming a q-jet would be easier to maintain even if it cannot be built to outrun a tri .. Especially, if you're not planning on running it on a track..

SOLD.....
462ci, 4spd
Performer Intake, Mild Cam
Pertronix Ignitor III
Accel Super Coil, Accel 8.8mm Wires

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
64-67 Expert

No, GG. This is a "hands on" question. I want to know what other people have experienced/what they're doing. In my experience, I've rebuilt the q-jet on my '67 twice in 120,000 miles and 28 years (original carb, has 242k on it) and I've rebuilt the tripower 0 times in 60,000 miles and 29 years. The tripower is a low maintainence unit, in my experience. I guess what I'm asking is, can a Q-Jet be "worked" to beat a "worked" tripower? (Jets, metering rods, etc.) My experience has been that the tripower produces more power than a q-jet, all else being equal. A buddy just finished the restoration of an HO spec '67 GTO, and he's running a '66 Tripower on it instead of the Q-jet he used to run. He too says it's faster than it wver was with the stock Q-jet.....this should be interesting.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Well now, that's an interesting question. I've always been in the "Qjets are faster" camp, but mostly because "other people" I tend to believe have said so. "They say" that tripowers have fuel distribution problems due to the relatively large area the carbs are spread over and the resulting unequal length intake runners.

Ack-shully though, I 'spose the only way to get a definitive answer would be to run both on the same car at the same track on the same day, with both setups optimized as much as possible for the car, and just see what the clocks have to say about it.

Anybody out there in a position to do that? Or have results from it having been done?

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
64-67 Expert

Bear, I think I would need to ship you my '66 Tripower so you could dyno that 461 of yours and see what comes up!!! Seriously, though, I'm curious. I'll try to dig up the HPP article and post the actual numbers...I read it again last week. I think a true Q-Jet Guru would know a lot about making power with a Q-Jet as opposed to myself. I know they are excellent, and can move a bunch of mixture. I think a definitive test like you mentioned would answer a few questions, too. (same car, same conditions, just a manifold/carb swap) and run the numbers. Thanks.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In the early 80's with my 68 GTO 400 I got a H-O Power Kit which included instuctions on how to modify my Qudrajet and different springs, jets, rods, etc. This also included a kit for the distributer. I did this to my engine and was very happy with the results. A friend of mine had a tri power intake set up that he was not using. I took off my quad set up and installed the tri set up. What a big difference in power the tri set up had over the quad. I ran it that way for about a year and changed back because I could not afford the fuel it was consuming. At full throttle you can see the gauge drop.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
I guess what I'm asking is, can a Q-Jet be "worked" to beat a "worked" tripower? (Jets, metering rods, etc.) .
it boils down to this.a qjet flows about 750cfm. a tripower flows about 900cfm.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 10:28 PM

Garage
You guys made me think about this, and yes a tri power of equal CFM will outperform a single carb. The middle cylinders are richer than the outers with a single carb set up, as the runners are shorter in the middle, thus compromising both. Now, most cars don't have TBIs, they have MPFI, injector for every cylinder, making every cylinder equal and optimizing power by not compromising anything. Now, the DI-direct injected motor is computer controlled to inject the fuel at the correct time, not just squirting fuel and waiting for the valve to open. GM is getting 305 BHP out of it's stock DI motors, so HP is really in the 400 range, question really answers itself.. Technology is pretty cool.

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang

Last edited by jetstang; 02-13-2011 at 06:29 PM.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 12:02 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't know for sure if you can get better performance out of a tripower or a quadrajet. I do know that the guys with f.a.s.t (factory appearing stock tire) racing lay down some fast lap times with well turned quadrajets. Check out this guy running 11.62's in a Firebird with bias ply tires in the stock class.

F.A.S.T. - Factory Appearing Stock Tire - hide FAST Racers - FS Rick Mahoney
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in