Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Trunk torsion rod install - 70 GTO Judge

6K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  rolm 
#1 ·
Been doing research on the best way to install the trunk torsion bar in a 70 Judge without it snapping off and damaging something or hurting myself. Any suggestions on installing them? I know already which rod goes where but is there a tool or best type of locking pliers to use? Is it best push the center with your foot to bend it a little? Etc...

Mine was installed, both of them, in the last slot, the slot towards the rear of the car.

Thanks in advance.

#5 ·
Trunk Torsion bars installation

To install the trunk torsion bars in my 65, I used two small hose clamps and attached a 3/8" steel bar about 12-14" long to make my own tool. These were attached where the bars first turn down. This gave me leverage to twist the torsion bars down in to the slot position. (vice grips kept slipping off). I also used plastic wire ties to to hold the torsion bars in the upper slot (since they like to jump out during installation) and plastic ties to hold the wheels ( or wheel shaped disk that ride in the trunk hinge) to keep them from falling off during installation. Be sure to wear leather gloves and safety glasses. Have a good plastic hammer handy too. It's frustrating and a bit dangerous, but can be done with patience. Depending on the age of the springs and weight of your trunk lid, it may be necessary to to adjust them to the lowest slot for maximum torque. They do not have t be in the same slot on both sides, but I don't recommend being more than one notch different between the two sides. Don't forget to cut the plastic ties off after you get it all in place. I tied my trunk lid with a rope to the ceiling of my garage so it would not fall on me during the installation. Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.