1Likes
  • 1 Post By Brad132132

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 02:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Trying install new alternator in 1969 grand prix with a 400

Im trying swap out my alternator with a new one but the bottom bolt is blocked by the ps pulley..i used an impact to get the ps bolt off but pulley still stuck. Is there a trick to remove the belt and pulley that im missing? Its a 69 400 motor..Once i get the pulley off i can easily removed the bottom alternator bolt..i really dont want to take it to a shop when i always been able to swap out my own alternator..what am i missing?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad132132 View Post
Im trying swap out my alternator with a new one but the bottom bolt is blocked by the ps pulley..i used an impact to get the ps bolt off but pulley still stuck. Is there a trick to remove the belt and pulley that im missing? Its a 69 400 motor..Once i get the pulley off i can easily removed the bottom alternator bolt..i really dont want to take it to a shop when i always been able to swap out my own alternator..what am i missing?

Thanks
Sorry I don't recall exactly how I changed my alternator, but I am happy to go out to the garage and video later this morning.

If I remember correctly, the alternator is held on with two bolts - the upper should be easy to get to and the lower you will need a small closed wrench (ideally ratcheting). I don't recall removing the power steering pulley, but may have loosened the bracket so it could be moved out of the way to get to the lower bolt. Good luck

1965 GTO Convertible 3 speed tri-power drum brakes originally

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 09:40 AM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad132132 View Post

Thanks
If I am reading this correctly, you are trying to pull off the power steering pump pulley to get at the lower ALT bolt?

Never needed to do this on any Pontiac and this is not how you access that bolt. You should have enough adjustment with the PS belt removed on the PS pump to swing it up/over to the side and out of the way. If you are trying to remove the ALT bolt while keeping the PS pump in place without loosing it up, then you are doing it wrong.

There should be a stud/nut on the back of the PS pump holding it to the bracket which needs to be loosened up. Then look at the front of the PS pump and either loosen or even remove the bolt that holds it to the front bracket. These are the same bolts you would normally loosen/tighten to adjust tension on the PS belt. Should give you plenty of room to them get at the ALT bolt. As I recall, with the PS pump moved over to its extreme position, the head of the ALT bolt comes extremely close to the PS pulley when you slide it out for ALT replacement.

BTW: Some PS pulleys use a keyway and most are press fit. If you try to pry the pulley off, you may bend the pulley and then you will have issues with your belts. There is a special puller used to do this that will not damage the pulley.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
There are 3 bolts that have to be loosened to move PS pump out of the way. One on the back two on the front. Then pivot the pump all the way down to the right, this should allow the bottom alt. bolt to be removed.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim View Post
If I am reading this correctly, you are trying to pull off the power steering pump pulley to get at the lower ALT bolt?

Never needed to do this on any Pontiac and this is not how you access that bolt. You should have enough adjustment with the PS belt removed on the PS pump to swing it up/over to the side and out of the way. If you are trying to remove the ALT bolt while keeping the PS pump in place without loosing it up, then you are doing it wrong.

There should be a stud/nut on the back of the PS pump holding it to the bracket which needs to be loosened up. Then look at the front of the PS pump and either loosen or even remove the bolt that holds it to the front bracket. These are the same bolts you would normally loosen/tighten to adjust tension on the PS belt. Should give you plenty of room to them get at the ALT bolt. As I recall, with the PS pump moved over to its extreme position, the head of the ALT bolt comes extremely close to the PS pulley when you slide it out for ALT replacement.

BTW: Some PS pulleys use a keyway and most are press fit. If you try to pry the pulley off, you may bend the pulley and then you will have issues with your belts. There is a special puller used to do this that will not damage the pulley.
I did exactly what you explained and it worked and i got the alternator in. Thank you.
PontiacJim likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in