tv show memphis beat 64 gto. - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
tv show memphis beat 64 gto.

while i was surfing i ran across a new tv show on tnt. the lead character drives a baby blue 64 gto. kind of interesting for pontiac fans. the bad thing is the gto was the only thing interesting about the show.

TNT - Memphis Beat: Home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 02:03 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
I've been watching the show, because of the "GTO" and because I'm a Jason Lee and old R&B music fan. Not a great show, but quirky enough to watch. I'm pretty sure the car is a real GTO, due to the engine turned GTO dash I've seen in the interior shots. It has a console shift automatic trans, and is most likely a 4bbl. All of the emblems on the car, including the grille emblem, are missing. The interior is dark blue, and correct for a '64. Not real wild about the wheels, but I do like the car. A point of interest I picked up is that Jason always closes the doors of the car very gently, the sign of a guy who actually respects the car. A lot of the other actors simply slam the door. So far, the car has not been abused or mistreated in the show.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

this trailer has a few shots of the car in it.
Video - Memphis Beat - An Overview - tnt.tv

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 11:47 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
From what I understand, Jason used his personal GTO for the pilot of the show and after it got some damage on it, he said they would have to use a different car. The first season they used a Chevelle, this season they have a Tempest with GTO clonage. That's what I read on the site anyway. Like GeeTee, I watch it for the car and the music, plus Jason has some funny Earl like lines.
There is a 66 or 67 GTO on that new show Falling Sky, and it has a 50 cal mounted on it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 09:15 PM
64-67 Expert

I just caught the most recent episode, and there were TWO GTO's used: the usual hardtop, and a coupe. The coupe was used in the scene where Earl (Jason Lee) gets pulled over for speeding....it's the same color combo as the hardtop, but has a front fender mounted mirror and slightly different tires. I actually like the look of the coupe better. No GTO emblems on either car, tho'.....
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
i noticed the Chevelle (last scene) when they were hyping the show prior to air....theres a guy i see around town that has a 66' malibu painted the same color as my Tempest, never when i have mine yet, but a want to get a shot of the two side by side. Like Jason lee also, may have to set to record some episodes. Another GTO sighting is in the latest Tom Cruise movie...Camron Diaz's character's dad owns a repair shop and she has a 66' tiger gold on gold GTO and they tear it up pretty good in a few scenes.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 02:33 PM

I think Jason Lee's character did reference the GTO in the recent season's opener. I believe he said you go take the GTO and blah blah blah. I may be wrong though.

Dave Harris

1958 Buick Special 2 Door Riviera
1964 Pontiac GTO Post Coupe
2012 Shelby GT500 convertible
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 05:36 PM
64-67 Expert

No, you got it right. He did say "you take the GTO" to detective Whitehead.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 09:34 PM

this is the first time i read this thread. i thought you guys were talking about a show made to compete with the one i saw advertised several months ago about some police with a chevelle. then i clicked on freethinkers link and watched the video and the very last pic is the one i saw on tv.... with the chevelle.

Shane Doss

66 tempest
64 el camino
02 mullis dragster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in