• 1 Post By GTOJUNIOR
  • 1 Post By PontiacJim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
unable to open driver's door. '67 GTO convt.

My car was put up on a hoist to swap a motor mount, when it came down I was not able to open the LHS door. It had been fine before the lift. It will open about a 1/4 inch or so then no more. I've tried just about everything I can think of... lifting up/pushing down/jack a little under frame in different spots. outside and inside handles both function ok. It seems the lock mechanism won't let go the striker entirely. The door panel looks like it will not come off while the door is closed so I'm unable right now to figure out a way to try and solve this. The panels are new Legendary's and I don't want to have to cut it up to access the lock if I can avoid it. Any body guys have any ideas about what I can try to get the door open? Or interior guys who know a trick to get the panel off? Right now I have to clamber in through the pass' side door, kind of embarrassing when your buddies are laughing. I wonder if the hoist may have tweaked the frame enough to cause this or is it more likely the locking mech' has just died on me. I'd appreciate any ideas you might have. Thanks, Jim.

I'm not sure what section of the board this topic should go into, I couldn't see a "door" section. Admin' could move if it should be elsewhere. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 11:10 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
I don't think putting it up on a lift did anything. Sounds like the lock is simply not releasing all the way.

Call a locksmith. They have tools that he may be able to drop in the door and catch the lever that opens the door latch jaws.

Otherwise, use a plasma cutter and open a 1' x 1' window in the door panel skin and then reach right in there and snap the locking jaws open. The get a large piece of sheet metal, couple of pop rivets, bondo, and a rattle can of matching paint and you'd be good to go. You won't see it from the inside of the car anyway, so out of site, out of mind.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 05:04 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Garage
I know you seen this, but thought I would bring it over for anyone else who runs into this issue.
It's a common problem with old latch mechanisms;
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...=1#post6059501
integrity6987 likes this.

GTO Jr. - A.K.A. SPRINT 6

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
It’s a bit of a pain but if you remove the drivers seat, it will give you access to the door panel. You may have to remove the passenger side seat first (assuming they are bucket seats) so you may get to and remove the drivers side seat. It’s just four bolts holding the seats in. Now you can access the arm rest screws and remove the window crank and interior door handle. There will be 3 to 5 Phillip head screws on the bottom carpeted section of the door panel. Use care and after removing g the screws pull the bottom of the panel towards the inside of the car to release the door clips then slide it down to release from the chrome strip. It will be a tight working condition but take your time and soon you will have access to the door lock mechanism. Spray it with some oil and you should be able to get to to release with manually operating the door lever. It’s cheaper too than cutting a hole in the door!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wait, WHAT?! Cut a 1' x 1' HOLE in the DOOR?!!!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I think Pontiac Jim's idea of cutting a hole in the door was a joke... right Jim?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 11:47 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyF View Post
I think Pontiac Jim's idea of cutting a hole in the door was a joke... right Jim?

Really, does anyone on this board think cutting a 1' x 1' hole in a door skin, pop-riveting a patch over the door, and spray bombing a color match isn't a joke? If you, or a loved one, would ever even consider this.................give me the keys to your GTO NOW!!

On the other hand, removing the front fender, cutting off the door hinges, and getting 2 strong helpers yank the door up and down hard enough to break the door post locking mechanism off, might have been a better way of getting the door open - you would not have to cut the 1' x 1' hole in the door skin.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just ran into this on my 67 Tempest a few months back. Passenger side. It would pop about a 1/4 inch like you say then no more. It was not as simple as just getting into the latch area and releasing it. We were able to get the door panel off without pulling the seat but it was tight. Once in, we tries every which way we could think off to release it as well as all suggestions from on line, nothing worked. Finally fighting with it for about two months, my son got in there with a small di-grinder and destroyed the latch mechanism. Fortunately I had a back up latch mechanism to reinstall. Once I had it in I adjusted the door to make sure everything aligned and all is well now.

Jim
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Door open! Why didn't I think to try this simple solution first before even posting about the problem?-- got a big can of WD40 and squirted a lot of it down the between the window opening and all over the latch, waited a couple of minutes, tried a few times and it flew open! Occam's razor had this figured out long before me. Thanks to all who helped with ideas, I appreciate it.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 09:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyF View Post
Door open! Why didn't I think to try this simple solution first before even posting about the problem?-- got a big can of WD40 and squirted a lot of it down the between the window opening and all over the latch, waited a couple of minutes, tried a few times and it flew open! Occam's razor had this figured out long before me. Thanks to all who helped with ideas, I appreciate it.

Excellent! As you can see, you are not the first car owner to experience this problem. So your dilemma/question was a good one as several of the solutions, including yours, may help the next guy. That's what this forum is all about.
integrity6987 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in