Update: Back from Cali as new owner of 67 GTO! - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Update: Back from Cali as new owner of 67 GTO!

Hi guys! Well, after flying down to San Diego on the spur of the moment, I am now the owner of a 1967 GTO! Thanks to all who helped me along the way including 05GTO who let me call him with questions. It was much appreciated.
The car is definitely a GTO! It needs much cosmetic work and interior parts, but the drivetrain is correct. Luckily I bought it from a guy who took it to a friend that was an excellent mechanic. He let me put it up on the rack and check the numbers as well as the frame, rust areas (there were none), and was helpful in locating all the engine numbers. While down there, the PHS was faxed at home and I found that the transmission numbers match as well as the engine numbers. The billing history shows YS plus four numbers that matches the numbers on the motor. So, the only thing changed on the motor was the intake manifold and carburetor. Now I have to find a dependable shipper. Can anyone recomment one?
Thanks
Linda
PS will post pics as soon as I get them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie67 View Post
Hi guys! Well, after flying down to San Diego on the spur of the moment, I am now the owner of a 1967 GTO! Thanks to all who helped me along the way including 05GTO who let me call him with questions. It was much appreciated.
The car is definitely a GTO! It needs much cosmetic work and interior parts, but the drivetrain is correct. Luckily I bought it from a guy who took it to a friend that was an excellent mechanic. He let me put it up on the rack and check the numbers as well as the frame, rust areas (there were none), and was helpful in locating all the engine numbers. While down there, the PHS was faxed at home and I found that the transmission numbers match as well as the engine numbers. The billing history shows YS plus four numbers that matches the numbers on the motor. So, the only thing changed on the motor was the intake manifold and carburetor. Now I have to find a dependable shipper. Can anyone recomment one?
Thanks
Linda
way to go Linda! Congrats!

Can't wait to see the pics.

Russ

21st Century Muscle, The Soul of a Legend!

70 Palladium Silver HT 400/AT *SOLD* Elvis has left the building.
2004 YJ M6
2008 IOM G8 GT
Secretary, Newsletter Editor, Webmaster, Susquehanna Valley GTO Tigers
http://svgto.com
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 12:28 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Congrats! Where is her new home? (where do you need the car shipped to?)

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie67 View Post
Thanks
Linda
Congratulations and welcome to the herd!

post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 01:03 PM

congratulations- worth the trip.
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 01:14 PM

Congratulations! I'm sure you'll love it. Unfortunately, i can't help you on the transport problem.

1966 GTO bored 389 Tri-Power, Powerglide(#'s Match)

{GTO, Lariat, Galaxie, Glastron, & Yamaha} -Tyler-
PURDUE AUTOMOTIVE PERFORMANCE ASSOCIATION PRESIDENT
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Glad that you made it home ok, Any pictures?

Randy

Last edited by 05GTO; 02-05-2008 at 04:09 PM.
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

New Home

Boy! What a response! Thanks! 05GTO, you've got some work ahead of you...hah! Very rewarding though right? I could use you when I get my car shipped. Rukee, I need it shipped from Le Mesa, CA to Bellingham, WA. Do you have any references? Pics coming soon. Can't wait to get it home...at least I can drive it until I get the work done.
Linda
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 09:12 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Hi Linda. Sounds like you did excellent! I shipped a car to Michigan from California back in 2000, and it was 1600 dollars at the time. Have you thought about having the car serviced (oil change/fluid changes/check brakes/wheel bearings/cooling system) and DRIVING it back to Washington? You need to do that stuff anyway to drive it, and you'd save a TON of money doing it off the bat and driving it home. It's a two day run, and would be an adventure (if nothing went wrong!). 2 years ago, I flew up to Washington, bought a basket case Model T Ford, rented a Ryder 24 foot truck (Told them I was transporting a farm wagon), and drove back to CA. Truck rental was only 93 bucks for 5 days, ONE WAY! (Turns out they needed the truck brought back to CA). Or, you could rent a car dolly and tow the thing (Risky if you're not experienced.) I forgot the name of the guys I used in 2000, but they were ok if not expensive. Again, excellent buy!!!
Jeff
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Blondie.... Congrats on the purchase. I bought a 67 GTO in Boston MA last week. I was thinking of driving it home to Long Island. Since the car hadn't really been driven lately, and I didn't want to chance a breakdown on the road, I decided to truck it home. I used a local towing service,experianced with classic cars. We drove to Boston, loaded up, and drove home (about 500 miles round trip). The driver used a Ford F-550 flat bed, and the trip went very well.......This kind of truck is more than sufficent, and more cost effective than an enclosed tractor/trailer service. Good Luck with the car, and post those pictures.. Eric

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in