User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Upgrade/Mod for '67 GTO...

Greetings All,

Just purchased a numbers matching '67 GTO...

I'd like some feedback on balancing keeping the car a true example of an original, but possibly upgrading to Disc Brakes, freshening up the motor (maybe a bit more cam), and maybe swapping in a different rear gear....

What crosses that line between helping or hurting value vs. improving performance?

Regards,
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
You can do all the above, just KEEP the original stuff so IF you sell it you can change it back.......be careful messing around inside a motor with an older rebuild!!!!!! I might skip the cam job if I were you. IMHO Eric

post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Eric,

Thanks for the feedback...tracks my thinking exactly.

As to the motor...I've built a couple of 400's, nothing radical. My thoughts for this one is to pull the motor so I can clean/detail the engine compartment, and rebuild the motor from the bottom up. Probably upgrade to a bit larger hyd. lifter cam...

Not sure what the downside is...

Paul

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fxnjetz View Post
What crosses that line between helping or hurting value vs. improving performance?
Hi Paul, I can say unequivocally, without any doubt whatsoever, that the answer to your question is.... "it depends".

If you're talking about a super rare combination that's one of a handful ever built, then anything that strays from original is going to hurt resale value. If it's one of the "mass" combinations that were made in high numbers, a few judiciously chosen enhancements might also increase resale value. Better brakes and suspension make the car safer and more fun to drive, and if you really are going to drive it then either you'll have to run avgas/racing fuel, or you'll need to build that motor so that compression is compatible with the fuel you can get. If "go fast" is your thing then depending on how much you want to spend, you can fairly easily turn that 400 into a 550+ horsepower torque monster using readily available parts and services, still using the original numbers-matching block. (For the 3rd year in a row, the car that has won the title as the fastest street car in the state of Arizona is a 1974 Pontiac Trans Am. It runs low 8-second quarter miles and is likely to be in the 7's next year. In race tune he's in the vicinity of 1000 HP - and it's a Pontiac.)

The first question you have to answer though, is what matters to you most? Do you care most about preserving resale value (i.e. making the car valuable to someone else) or do you care most about enjoying it? (i.e. making the car valuable to yourself.) If it's the first, then generally you'll want to keep things original. Otherwise, build whatever you want and make no apologies.

For example, I myself have a numbers-matching 69 GTO hardtop, TH400 automatic, YS code 400 that I've had since college. I'm within 4-6 months of having it done at my present pace, if things go well. I needed to replace a quarter panel and also repair some other rust, so I had the car media blasted. The car was originally Palladium Silver with black interior, black vinyl top. When I got the metal work done and was ready to move on to surfacing/blocking, I had a decision to make. Do I keep the vinyl top and original color (even though I don't like vinyl tops and wasn't wild about the color) or do I nuke the top and paint the car whatever color I like? I quite literally agonized over this decision for a couple of weeks, even though I'd already upgraded the brakes, the rear axle, and especially the engine.

It was the "who am I doing this for?" question that finally got me going. (HINT: the vinyl top is a distant memory and this car is going to be mile-deep-need-a-safety-belt-do-I-don't-fall-in black.)

You'll get a bazillion opinions, but the only one that matters is yours. It's your car and you're the one spending the money on it. Do it however suits you.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Bear, I do like a silver car, and am not too fond of vinyl tops......MILE DEEP BLACK is what I am going with on my 67. It was originally red with a black vinyl top and black interior.....I lost the top, am doing a red interior, and a black paint, looks like a black hole don't fall in paint job! Eric

post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
do they make that mile deep paint in a Bahama Blue Metallic???.....lol, love black cars and that red interior will pop Eric.
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 01:56 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
How many miles on the car? If low original miles, I'd just reseal the engine and pretty much leave it alone. As for other upgrades, bolt-on improvements are reversable and won't hurt value. As stated above, it's really up to you. You could pull the original #'s engine, mothball it, and build a 400 or 455 or whatever to your liking that runs strong on today's fuel. That won't hurt the value, either. My first car was a Platinum Silver '66 GTO....I love that color on these cars, and you don't see it often. Black's great too, though!!! Good luck.
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Bear, Geeteeoh,

Thanks for the feedback....

Ultimately, the budget will dictate. I'm in no hurry right now...We're just going to drive and enjoy the car for awhile, and then make the improvements over time that make sense.

How do the YS code motors (10.75 cr) deal with today's pump gas?

Regards,
Paul
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
+3 for silver. 10.7:1 is too high for pump gas, need to get it to 9.5 or lower to avoid detonation on todays gas, if you will be driving it a lot you will have to have reliable source for high octane in the 106 range, if you want to keep block get new set of heads with a larger chamber to tailor the CR, and save your matching ones, again this is a bolt on to make the car streetable and as long as you save the originals it won't effect value. Another option would be get your pistons dished to bring it in line, all depends on how original you want it to appear from the outside.
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 08:55 PM

I would definitely put some disk brakes on the front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in