User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Upgrading Speakers in 1966

Hey all

Just got myself a 1966 and have a question about upgrading the speakers. Previous owner bought some kickpanels from Classic Car Audio and the emergency break wouldnt allow enough room for installation. Question is - for those of you who have done this, what speakers did you use and how did you go about installing - if you cut into original kick panel, is there enough room behind there to mount a speaker?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 07:36 PM
64-67 Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
I did this on both my '65 and '67 GTO's with the original panels. Required no cutting at all. Was able to remove the panel, and attach a decent size speaker. The air grilles even snapped back in place. Totally invisible, totally stock looking. You can no longer use the vents, though. I've since removed the speakers from the '67 to restore the vent feature,and installed a dual stereo speaker from AMES in the stock dash position. Doesn't sound as good, but I have fresh air. The '65 still has the vent speaker conversion from 1987, and still working fine. No need for the fancy kick panels at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in