User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Value question from new member

Hey all,
Just joined but been a huge fan of the 1964 GTO since it came out in 1964 when I was 16 !!! Been a while ! Anyway, currently have a 1956 Austin Healey 100M so one of those British car nuts but always wanted to get a 64 GTO.

Found a pretty nice one but does not have the original engine, has a newer 400 Pontiac engine with a 4 speed. It's a post coupe, navy with black interior. Know the value takes a pretty big hit if not the original engine and trans but any thoughts on how much of a hit ? Thanks in advance for the help.
Regards
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 04:38 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Too many factors to take in that have not been included and with no photo, not even a guess would be logical.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
So I have a 64 GTO and want to tell you if the car is missing parts or has stuff you want to change and have to go hunting for parts, they are hard to find.

I have had a hard time finding the heads for mine and when I did find them they cast me 800 dollars and they were rough.

I routinely look for spare parts to the dismay of my wife and have accumilated some spares. My advice, unless you have to have a 64. I would buy a 65. The 64 parts are just too hard to find.
That being said if you want a 4 barrel man trans correct engine for that thing let me know. I have an extra

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys - believe this one turned out to be a clone as asked about PHS docs or any paper work and none available. Even if it has the mfg vin tag with all the info on the firewall I would now be suspect !
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

BTW - if anyone watches Wheeler Dealers on Velocity Channel, one of the new shows with their Southern Cal based shop versus the UK one features a nice 65 GTO bought in midwest that they take back to resell.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
If the car appears sound, isn't missing anything, and is otherwise "talking to you" it's probably worth the expense of you ordering the PHS doc yourself. Also consider this: unless you're buying the car to sell, as an investment, instead of for your own personal enjoyment -- how important is resale value to you, really?

All in, to build my '69 I probably spent triple what it would ever sell for to any reasonably sane person and that fact is not even a passing concern to me. I built it for me. Not someone else.

Just food for thought.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 12:29 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Some PHS docs were lost for some cars. If PHS doesn't have the docs for your car, it doesn't mean it's a clone. It just means the docs were destroyed/lost. If the car has the Protect-o-Plate, you don't need the PHS to verify it as a GTO. As for value, the difference seems to be about 5-10k on garden variety cars, and much more for later ram air cars when the original engine is gone. FWIW, I've owned 9 GTO's over the years, I think 6 4 speeds and 3 automatics, and ALL the 4 speed cars had replacement engines (and this was when these cars were 12 years old or so), but ALL the auto cars had their born with engines still in place. There is nothing wrong with a clean '64 that has a later engine, IMO. They are neat cars, and you only live once. Take your time, decide what you want (a collector investment or a car you can drive all the time) and go from there. About 95% of us here on this forum drive our cars as they were meant to be driven, and we wouldn't have it any other way. Good luck.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
So look. I prefer this type of car.

Pontiac GTO GTO | eBay

Reason is I get to do it the way I want. I know it is rough but at 2,750 the hood, glass and fenders are worth that. Plus it is a real 64 tripower. I think there is an easy 30K of work in this one. But at the end you would have one of the rarest GTO's around. Year 1 tripower 2 door coupe.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 04:53 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Where I am, 30k wouldn't scratch the surface on this car....it truly needs everything. More like 60k plus, if you do all the labor. That said, the buy it now price is reasonable for what it is. It could be parted out for more. I hope it gets restored. That said, you would have 60-80k tied up in a car worth about 50k. Even if you went totally non-numbers on the car, the sheer amount of parts needed everywhere would make this a money pit. It would have to be labor of love.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in