Vintage Air SureFit System - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Vintage Air SureFit System

I've been researching options to get A/C reinstalled in my 67 Lemans (previous owner removed most of the under the hood parts).

I talked to a local shop that is listed a distributor/installer with vintage air and they said it would take them approximately 30 hours (give or take) to install the kit. Does this seem reasonable? I looked at the installation manuals and it doesn't seem that difficult but I'm notorious for underestimating projects.

Driving around in 90-110 degree weather isn't fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 01:49 AM

Rex,

30 hours sounds high; however, I paid around $800 to have mine installed 6 or 7 years ago. You might call Vintage Air to get their thoughts on the average installation.

Rick

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

I ended up doing some googling last night and found a few forum threads about the install times. A couple shops have installed them in 10-12 hours and a few people did it themselves over a week working in the evenings.

I'll definitely be calling around now.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Vintage Air SureFit System

Installed mine myself in my '66. Really not that complicated if you have the bracket for the compressor. Hardest part for me was that mine wasn't a factory air car and I didn't really care for the bar style duct/vent that comes with the kit. I bought stock dash vents separately and cut out holes for them in the dash to make it it look stock. Crimping the coolant lines isn't bad either, but again you have to have the tools to do it. Otherwise a local ac shop will do it for you once everything else is complete and it just needs the hoses connected and the system charged. I'm not a fan of others touching my girl though 😏 so I definitely prefer to do everything I can myself. Did it in a weekend.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 12:18 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
This is a ten to 20 hour job max. 10 hours or less for an auto tech, and 20 for a neophyte with a book in his hand going one step at a time. The local guy you talked to is padding his invoice pretty heavily....30 hours is almost a full 40 hour work week. NUTS. I would run away from that guy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in