What is it about your classic Pontiac GTO as an owner that you like the best - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is it about your classic Pontiac GTO as an owner that you like the best

As an owner of the best muscle car to come out of Detroit back in the sixties, to me I like the feeling I get everytime I'm in the driver seat. I like when people give me the thumbs up and say "Wow what a beautiful car" I also get great pleasure when we are at one of many car shows, and people asking all kinds of questions. It seems that the Pontiac GTO always takes the spot light over other muscle cars of that time frame.

I would like to hear from you on this topic Big John NYC

[SIGPIC][SIZE="2"]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 06:39 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Everything, lol. I love the look, the sound, the smell and the feel. I like the fact that it has full manual brakes with drums on all corners, full manual steering and crap loads of power, it's like a 60's time machine. You have to man up to drive the beast. I love the fact that it is soooo easy to work on too, no shrouds, covers, pollution control, just raw machine. Cars don't have that "feel" anymore, just a overly cautious modes of transportation, no style, no fun, frickin boring and a p.i.t.a. to work on.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I love the sound of my fresh 463 rattling the windows of the house w/open headers. i love the look of the front end, a classis Pontiac looks like nothing else coming at you head on, and the 66-67' have the meanest looking snarls ever. I love the simplicity of the car, no frills, all fun. i like the recessed rear window and fastback fins (think the 69' charger stole the lines?) I look at the classics as works of mechanical art, from the locomotive infuences of he old Cheiftans to the art deco of the 64-67' GTO's/LeMans/Tempest and the Inovative (at the time) design of the 68 + cars. Cannot wait to hit the local shows and cruises this summer and mingle...have a feeling i will be hearing "what's a Tempest" alot, and i plan to show them.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 08:11 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
I've always loved the GTO. My very first car was a well worn silver/black 4 speed '66 GTO with a 3.55 posi. I traded my Yamaha RD350 for it at an after high school party. The guy liked my bike, but I said cars were too slow, I wasn't interested. He took me for a ride, and the goat was much faster than my bike. When he banged second gear, I thought my head would get torn off. It had a neat walnut knob with the lucite insert and the chrome ribbed console. The interior was like new, but the paint was faded. We traded on the spot. I've never been without a goat since. The two I have now ('65 4speed tripower posi hardtop and '67 auto convertible) I've had for about 30 years now, and they just get classier and better with age, like a fine wine. They used to be good looking, good performing older cars, back in the '80's.... Now, they really stand out in a sea of 4 cylinder jellybeans. I feel like I'm 18 years old every time I get behind the wheel, and I really enjoy how teenagers actually have the good taste to really appreciate them, too. Hands down the handsomest musclecars to come out of detroit in the '60's, bar none. I've driven GTO's 100's of thousands of miles, and I'm not done yet!!!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I love everything about my 66. I keep trying to write something else, but then I come back to my first sentence.

1966 GTO 428ci/4spd - spun bearing
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 08:30 PM

The GTO always takes the spotlight as JGEETO states. People who are not real enthusiast's like us know what a GTO is . Ask them what a Coronet R/T is and I doubt they would know.What I like best is the experience of driving and learning about these cars and the best feeling I get is when I start the motor. Friends and family often say" Hey Fitz saw a GTO the other day and thought of you." To me that is the ultimate compliment....to be associated with the GTO.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 08:48 PM

I love everything about it. As mentioned above, it's like stepping back in time driving a classic muscle car - to a time when the car, music and times in general were so much better and simpler. This is a time before mine, but a time I look back at with great envy. I think the constant thumbs up, honks and attention at gas stations I got while driving the car home from Indiana may get old at times, but you have to be ready for that when driving cars like these, and at the end of the day it is of course a positive thing

Kevin's Homepage

1970 Pontiac GTO
Orbit Orange Judge Re-creation / YZ RAIII 400 / M21 4-Speed
1985 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS
5.7 LITRE / TES Headers / SShaker Hood / WCT5 5-Speed
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 09:13 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_SS View Post
I love everything about it. As mentioned above, it's like stepping back in time driving a classic muscle car - to a time when the car, music and times in general were so much better and simpler. This is a time before mine, but a time I look back at with great envy. I think the constant thumbs up, honks and attention at gas stations I got while driving the car home from Indiana may get old at times, but you have to be ready for that when driving cars like these, and at the end of the day it is of course a positive thing
This ^--

I'm too young to really know how the 60's/70's were but I look at the cars and things of the time with envy like 85_ss said.

My cars not quite a GTO, but people sure like it and I get lots of attention.

I've owned nothing but Pontiac's and this is my 1st all out Pontiac(before they started using chevy/buick stuff) So far its been 100% fun.

I never got much attention in my 3/4th gen firebirds. It's quite overwhelming.
I'M HOOKED.

Jarred "Hot Rod" |1970 Pontiac LeMans Sport | Just a 350...
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 12:57 AM

For me, hands down, it's the lines of the car. Square, yet curvy depending on the angle. Big, comfortable car, with enough meanness to make it stand out. I've just gotten it, but so far it always attracts attention. Isn't that what it's really all about? To have something that others desire.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 04:51 AM

I was actually looking for a 64 chevelle when I found my 67 GTO...it was love at first sight lol....I like the way it looks...even my chevy buddies were "man, your car will be awsome when its done." I cant wait to get it running so I can love it even more!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in