What is best fire extinguisher? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
What is best fire extinguisher?

Despite winter's icy grip, cruising season will come, sooner than we think. That got me thinking that a good fire extinguisher would be a good idea for my Poncho, especially since it has some of the OEM wiring. Went to Lowes and got frustrated with the selection and staff.

What do you all carry for a fire extinguisher? There are so many types out there, most useful only for the house. Appreciate your recommendations, not only for what to carry in the GTO but to have readily available in the garage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
The best one to have is the one that's there when you need it.

I've got one of these mounted in the passenger side rear foot-well in my '69.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/htr-hg250r/overview/

In my shop, I've got a couple larger capacity dry chemical extinguishers.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
That looks like a good recommendation!

You definitely want to go with a good halon-based unit. In the event that you do have a fire, you'll do no more damage with halon. Dry chemical units may do more damage than the fire!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968gto421 View Post
Despite winter's icy grip, cruising season will come, sooner than we think. That got me thinking that a good fire extinguisher would be a good idea for my Poncho, especially since it has some of the OEM wiring. Went to Lowes and got frustrated with the selection and staff.

What do you all carry for a fire extinguisher? There are so many types out there, most useful only for the house. Appreciate your recommendations, not only for what to carry in the GTO but to have readily available in the garage.
it must be an A B C class extinguisher. wood n paper, liquids, n electrical equipment. the head must be metal, and NOT plastic. extinguishers with plastic heads are junk throw aways and usually cannot be re-charged. ones with plastic mounting brackets are junk also. Amerex corp. model B417 is one of the best for your car. more expensive, but who cares when it comes to safety n your car. made in U.S.A (205 655 3271). they offer it in chrome also.

Last edited by rickm; 03-08-2015 at 08:05 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Monte Slim View Post
...Dry chemical units may do more damage than the fire!
Ummm, beg to differ on that point. I -had- an engine fire driving my '69 (this was before I installed the extinguisher). I managed to limp/coast it home where I ran inside and grabbed all I had at the time, which was one of the big dry-chem units. Had it not been for that, the car would have burnt to the ground. In a situation like that it's really tough to accurately judge time, but I estimate that it burned for about 2 minutes before I got it put out. Yeah, it made a mess and I was very careful to wash off all the residue a few minutes after I got the fire out, but had it not been for that one I would have lost the car.

That's why I said, the best extinguisher is the one you have available when you need it.

True. Halon (or similar) is "kinder" to the rest of the car but it also requires more of it to get the job done than it would take with a similarly sized other type. Unless you can bring it to bear fast before the fire has a chance to get really going, pretty much anything is going to be a lost cause.

My fire happened 2 years ago and it still gives me the heebie-jeebies to remember it and realize how close I came to losing the car.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Having an ABC rated extinguisher for your home is important. For your car, a BC is adequate if not better. Halon is phenomenal, but no longer being produced. All halon extinguishers currently produced are using reclaimed halon. CO2 is a good option for a clean extinguisher and what I keep in my vehicles. In my time with the VFD, I have seen countless tragedies that could have been avoided if someone had had an extinguisher on hand. When seconds count the police are just minutes away applies to the fire department as well.

1965 Pontiac Tempest Custom - 326 bone stock
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Thanks everyone for some great info!!! A lot to think about, but not for long. Need to get going and order one.....thanks for the links and phone number....most appreciated!!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 06:50 PM
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
You may want to consider replacing those old brittle wiring looms, I replaced all of them under the hood and cleaned up the mess under the dash.
Get rid of butt connectors and other hackery performed over the last 50 years and solder and shrink tube those connections.
I have a couple of small Halon extinguishers under the front seat and I just ordered the unit Bear recommended from Summit to mount in the trunk.
Years ago I stopped and put a fire out on the freeway, a VW with an engine compartment fire.
A couple other guys stopped who also had extinguishers and it took two to get the job done.
Make sure to keep the engine compartment clean, old grease and oil will feed the flames!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in