What gets your "goat"? (dislikes) - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What gets your "goat"? (dislikes)

As much as we all love seeing GTOs being used and showing up at the local haunts there's usually something about certain ones that, well, "get my goat". One of the top 3 is the use of wheels in excess of 16". They visually disturb the profile regardless of their assumed performance advantage. 2 giant hoops become an unavoidable focal point and the eye sees them much closer together than proper rallys or period 15s. Another is cheap steering wheels. I get it, they might have a limited budget or the washer/dryer/fridge puked while parts were being picked, but why that thickazzed $80 wooden wannabe? OEM standard is better, isn't it? Only the gratuitous billet wheel that looks like the big hoops outside are worse than the bargain barn woody. Yet another is a pot luck version of engine dress. Old M/T valve covers with a billet air cleaner, slide on stainless over hoses, wires skewed so bad it looks like a bad plate of pasta. I never comment to those I see with such things as I always remember, "...at least it's out on the road..." or "...glad they're having fun..." but it doesn't make the mix any better on the eyes.

I didn't bother with mentioning LS conversions as there's nice long topic on that, but most take the whole farm, goats and all! So pony up kids, what gets your goat? I'm sure some of you might say "...guys who don't like my (insert any of the above)..." so I just saved you the trouble
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A chevy motor. I have seen a few and just walk away from the car no matter how nice the car looks.

67 Post Coupe,
69 RA III Judge
06 BOM, M6, 18's
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 09:19 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
You guys nailed it. For me, number one is Ghetto wheels (anything over 16") They are in poor taste, and do not complement the lines of these vehicles at all. Like putting a velvet Elvis painting on the living room wall. Clueless. Number two is the long knitting needle 'quick release' valve cover hold downs (looks incredibly stupid), along with the slip-on braided hoses, and number 3 is the Buick engine size call-out on 'restored cars'. An additional one is all the nicely restored '65 GTO's out there with high price tags, but the seat covers are installed with the pattern running backwards. And they're usually PUI covers. Terrible.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 11:29 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
100% agree about to ghetto wheels, I don't even like 16's on a muscle car. I hate the people that can't look at your car without putting their hands on the paint and chrome. I mean you spend hours cleaning and polishing the car, have some fricken respect. Mostly I hate people that use the term "numbers matching" wrong. If it's not the original drivetrain, it's period correct at best. Don't tell me the engine is out of a 76 trans am and then say it's numbers matching.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 01:03 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Aluminum heads, don't like to see them on classics.
Talk about people touching your car, at the drag strip one day had a bunch of Mexicans (not that that matters) with a ricer car in front of me. One of them while talking on the phone with one hand sets his soda on my car and cracks it open with the other hand sending pop all over the back of my GTO. I went the F*** off on him. About 20 of them come over and start giving me crap, it was awesome, within 30 seconds about 40 other racers came over to defend me and the GTO.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
You guys nailed it. For me, number one is Ghetto wheels (anything over 16") They are in poor taste, and do not complement the lines of these vehicles at all. Like putting a velvet Elvis painting on the living room wall. Clueless. Number two is the long knitting needle 'quick release' valve cover hold downs (looks incredibly stupid), along with the slip-on braided hoses, and number 3 is the Buick engine size call-out on 'restored cars'. An additional one is all the nicely restored '65 GTO's out there with high price tags, but the seat covers are installed with the "" pattern running backwards "" . And they're usually PUI covers. Terrible.
painted bumpers ..what are they thinking ..oh yeah my seat covers are backwards ........but there from Year One
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
LOL. I very much dislike seeing a gto motor or any classic car with "universal" radiator flex hoses. they look like crap on an engine and put unwanted stress on the radiator necks. you can buy the correct formed hose for damn near any engine ever made. and for a custom application, you can go to an auto parts store n find one that will work. you might have to cut off a section. as hideous as they are, I still see them on engines.ughhh.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
oh yeah, these "billet" engine pulley kits look like crap also. stock painted black like they are supposed to be is what I like to see on a poncho motor.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm View Post
LOL. I very much dislike seeing a gto motor or any classic car with "universal" radiator flex hoses. they look like crap on an engine and put unwanted stress on the radiator necks. you can buy the correct formed hose for damn near any engine ever made. and for a custom application, you can go to an auto parts store n find one that will work. you might have to cut off a section. as hideous as they are, I still see them on engines.ughhh.
THAT irks the $hit out of me! Flex hoses are temporary fixes at best and have no permanent place under the hood. I've seen this on more cars than just GTO's and I walk away. It tells me that someone doesn't care to "get it right". Worse... When I see these car restoration shows use them. They don't say they're using them, but the end up in the final build and you see them when they're showing off the finished product. Grrrrr!

When the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 06:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
A couple of times at open car shows I've heard people comment about my car that it's not a real GTO because it has a post....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in