What to offer on a 1968 GTO - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What to offer on a 1968 GTO

So one of my neighbors has a 1968 Pontiac gto that I am wanting to buy. I can tell that it has rust on the quarter panels, maybe a few dents, and a rusted roof. It is also probably rusted on the floor pans, and may need a new interior. No clue what engine, But I know it runs. Any idea on what to offer? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 12:29 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Josh.AZ.GTO
Depending on what you want to do with the car I would price out the things you know you would want to fix. Calculate that into the overall cost of the car. I'd look online and see what you can get for a completed car with decent interior and work backwards deducting the items you would spend on this 68. Just remember there is always more rust than you can see.

JOSHUA
1970 GTO 455HO Cardinal Red
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

To be honest, This would be my first car . Yeah, yeah, I haven't Fixed up a car before, but I come from a engineering family, so gotta continue the tradition. I am WANTING to try and just do everything on my own, no sending it to a shop or restoration. Gonna take a few years, but it will be worth it! I Gotta start somewhere!

Last edited by hackrtanman; 08-08-2011 at 12:56 AM.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
post some pics
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 07:03 AM

is it a running car or sitting in some back yard in a heap? big diff.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackrtanman View Post
To be honest, This would be my first car . Yeah, yeah, I haven't Fixed up a car before, but I come from a engineering family, so gotta continue the tradition. I am WANTING to try and just do everything on my own, no sending it to a shop or restoration. Gonna take a few years, but it will be worth it! I Gotta start somewhere!
"Gonna take a few years", he said...

Just be aware of what you're getting into. In about 1985, I decided to do a frame off restoration on my 69 GTO. Now mind you, this car was running just fine and up until then had been my daily driver. It had some rust on one quarter panel, both front fenders down low behind the wheels, and at the base of the windshield. It had been a Texas car all it's life and was even built in the Arlington TX GM plant, so the rust really wasn't very bad. Like you, I wanted to do everything myself and completely rebuild the car from the ground up. I'd worked on cars "all my life" at the time, had rebuilt engines, and was pretty confident that I was going to get the job done. Like I said, I started on it in 1985. With a lot of luck, I'll finish it by the end of the year. By the time it's finished, I probably will have spent more than twice as much money on it as it will ever be worth, and no telling how many thousands of hours.

I'm not sorry, I'm pretty excited that after all these years it's finally looking like I'm going to get it done, and I'm more than a little proud to be able to say that I've done 100% of the work, every bolt, every weld, every square inch of body and paint work - myself.

Like I said, just be aware of what you're getting into There are thousands of cars out there that have died the horrible death of becoming "disassembled projects" that never got completed. It'd be a real shame if that were to happen to yet another classic GTO.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 08:56 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yep, my brother was going to do a frame off on a '50 Chev pickup 20 years ago. He sold it in pieces.....

SOLD.....
462ci, 4spd
Performer Intake, Mild Cam
Pertronix Ignitor III
Accel Super Coil, Accel 8.8mm Wires
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 09:09 AM

once people figure out that you can go down to the dealer and buy a brand new performance car with warranty, ac and with all the safety built into cars today that will be faster than that restored gto they begin to question if its worth all the time and expense. this is coming from someone who has done 2 gto restorations in 2 years. i dont think i will ever do another one unless i run across an ultra rare car cheap.
unless its something special in todays market in most cases if you pay to have it done you can get the car for free and still lose money on restorations.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Not sure I agree on the "faster" part, not with the motor I built ... But I definitely agree on the cost. I've got no delusions that this car will ever be worth what I've spent on it, even if you count all my time as free and just add up parts, supplies, and machining. However cost vs. resale value was never a consideration: it's not for sale and isn't going to be. I'm building it for me to enjoy, and perhaps for my son(s) after me.

Folks who are into these cars as investments very rarely build them or have them built because that's usually not the way to make money on them.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearGFR View Post
"Gonna take a few years", he said...

Just be aware of what you're getting into. In about 1985, I decided to do a frame off restoration on my 69 GTO. Now mind you, this car was running just fine and up until then had been my daily driver. It had some rust on one quarter panel, both front fenders down low behind the wheels, and at the base of the windshield. It had been a Texas car all it's life and was even built in the Arlington TX GM plant, so the rust really wasn't very bad. Like you, I wanted to do everything myself and completely rebuild the car from the ground up. I'd worked on cars "all my life" at the time, had rebuilt engines, and was pretty confident that I was going to get the job done. Like I said, I started on it in 1985. With a lot of luck, I'll finish it by the end of the year. By the time it's finished, I probably will have spent more than twice as much money on it as it will ever be worth, and no telling how many thousands of hours.

I'm not sorry, I'm pretty excited that after all these years it's finally looking like I'm going to get it done, and I'm more than a little proud to be able to say that I've done 100% of the work, every bolt, every weld, every square inch of body and paint work - myself.

Like I said, just be aware of what you're getting into There are thousands of cars out there that have died the horrible death of becoming "disassembled projects" that never got completed. It'd be a real shame if that were to happen to yet another classic GTO.

Bear
Like Bear says1000's of hours, my car was all original only needing smoothing out of the original body panels (200 hrs minimum sanding before i would even consider spraying 1200 dollars worth of paint on it) Me and Bears builds have paralleled each others and he has been a great help motivating and tutoring me on the finer points. Like him i took on all the work myself and sometimes i walk in the shop and cannot even believe i did it all. I received the car on Sept 10th last year and took it to it's first show this weekend, so it can be done "in a few years"with perseverance and commitment (and a ton of money). Heres a before and after, if i had needed patch panels and such it would have been another year to complete. Get some pics of the bad spots and we can give you an idea of what to offer him.

and a direct link to 650 photos of the whole build

1966 Tempest pictures by instg8ter - Photobucket

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in