what oil to use - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
what oil to use

Hi Folks. Getting ready to change the break in oil on a 67 but I read recently that a lot of the blends out there now have some of the addatives removed that these old engines need. Does anyone have a suggested brand? thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6tee7 View Post
Hi Folks. Getting ready to change the break in oil on a 67 but I read recently that a lot of the blends out there now have some of the addatives removed that these old engines need. Does anyone have a suggested brand? thanks for your help.
There are a few oils out there that have the ZDD in it. Brad Penn, Shell Rotela that many recommend to name 2. I had used Valvoline 50 weight racing oil in the past which has it in it as well when I had an oil leaking issue.

I have a few years worth of ZDD+ additive on my shelf here I will add to the 30 weight oil I am now using but plan on using Brad Penn once my stock runs out.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 02:57 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Factory fill was SAE 20 or 10w-30. That was then. When oil protected your engine, not the catalytic converter. I use Rotella diesel spec with an additional ZDDP additive. The viscosity is 15w-40. Brad Penn would be a fine choice, and no need for the additive in that case. Stay away from the so-called "racing" oils, and the 20/50 grades....JMHO.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
Stay away from the so-called "racing" oils, and the 20/50 grades....JMHO.
i run 10/40 in my race car.

Shane Doss

66 tempest
64 el camino
02 mullis dragster
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Stay away from the so-called "racing" oils, and the 20/50 grades....JMHO.
Any reason you would recommend against them? Pickings are slim north of the border for oils with higher ZDD in them (at least around here), but I was able to order Valvoline VR1 20W50 racing oil from a local parts store, which is what I used when I did the first oil change on my new goat just before spring.

When reading about it last fall, it seemed to be split 50/50 on diesel oils. Brad Penn oil wasn't available anywhere locally (not sure if it's even available in Canada) and I don't want to get into something I have to mail order. I'm also interested in hearing what commercially/readily available ZDD oils are out there that may come recommeded. I'd really like to avoid having to use an additive.

Kevin's Homepage

1970 Pontiac GTO
Orbit Orange Judge Re-creation / YZ RAIII 400 / M21 4-Speed
1985 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS
5.7 LITRE / TES Headers / SShaker Hood / WCT5 5-Speed
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 01:01 AM

I like to use Valvoline Racing VR1 10W30 non synthetic. You can get it at Napa or O'Rily's auto parts stores.

Valvoline.com > Products > Racing > Racing Motor Oil Racing > VR1 Racing Oil (VR1)

Check out their web site.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 11:00 AM

Had the engine removed for a rear seal job and valvetrain noise. Ended up with new lifters (some were faulty), new valves (tips were mushroomed) new pushrods, and on breakin had cam failure (had left in the prior cam, which many I find would advise against (me too, now). The failure occurred with Shell Rotella T 15W-40, which supposedly has sufficient ZDDP, an issue I was aware of before the 1st try. Most don't suspect the oil as the culprit in cam wipeout, so it's still a candidate IMO.

Nonetheless, on restart with a new cam and new lifters, I went with Joe Gibbs breakin oil BR1. After about another 1 hour of driving, I changed to the Joe Gibbs HR1 10W30 synsthetic (there's also a non-synthetic). The HR oils are for street cars w/o catalytic converters, include correct mount of ZDDP for flat tappets, and are not the same as his oils designed for full bore racing. I presume form looking around that both are very good for each application. Lots of info on his site.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 02:01 PM
64-67 Expert

The valvoline VR-1 that Napa and O'Reilly has in stock in California has minimal if any ZDDP in it. It is inadequate for flat tappet engines. The only VR-1 that qualifies is the stuff that says "FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY" on the bottle, and I can't get that over the counter in California. If you're using the "off road" stuff, fine. The regular VR-1...forget it.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
The valvoline VR-1 that Napa and O'Reilly has in stock in California has minimal if any ZDDP in it. It is inadequate for flat tappet engines. The only VR-1 that qualifies is the stuff that says "FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY" on the bottle, and I can't get that over the counter in California. If you're using the "off road" stuff, fine. The regular VR-1...forget it.
The oil they sell at Napa here in Novato, CA has 1400 ppm zinc and
1300 ppm phosporus which is more than enough for a flat tappet cam. They do not make a special blend for CA.

Call Valvoline tech at (800) 832-6825
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 04:50 PM
64-67 Expert

dimitri, that is more than enough. The stuff in Fresno is under 800ppm for both. Not enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in