What's this 1972 Lemans worth? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What's this 1972 Lemans worth?

Hello everyone! New guy here, but very interested in a 1972 Lemans. Figured I'd check with the experts to gather a little info.

What would you approximate a good purchase price would be on the following:

"1972 PONTIAC LEMANS, 350 AT, this is a 7 year old restoration. Rust free body!! Less than 2500 miles since restored.

- New paint
- Rebuilt 350 big block ( original ) bored .040 over
- Rebuilt turbo 350
- All new interior ( buckets )
- Fresh Centerlines
- 6X racing heads
- Dual Exhaust
- Electric fans

All the best stuff under the hood.. Cam Dynamics, Edelbrock, Crane, Moly, Mallory, Roller Rockers, Double roller chain Kit...etc."

I know this isn't a ton to go on and not original like many of the nice builds I see here, just thought it would be a sweet daily driver if I can get it for a reasonable price. Thanks in advance, please let me know your thoughts, and very much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 02:46 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
That's the kind of Pontiac, I've seen it so many times, some insecure guy, wanting to relive his past through his kid, buys it for his HS'er. Usually the car doesn't survive a year.

The LeMans' body may have been fairly solid, but you can bet the body work and paint are avg at best. The interior and cheap speed parts under the hood, add next to no value. the dash asm is cracked badly and bowed up. The console, most likely from PepBoys. The buckets do appear to be standard buckets out of a 1st Gen Camaro or Firebird, and have some value to an early F body restorer. Pricing, no more than 5-6K, though I d bet the seller is wanting close to 10K.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 07:18 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Garage
Pontiac did not have a "big block" nor a "small block." One block fits all and was modified over the years. So it is a Pontiac 350 which is typically not a big dollar resale engine when compared to a 400 CI or 455CI, so no big plus, although they will perform well.

It is hard to provide a price as differing parts of the country yield higher or lower prices. Here in the Carolina's, the car would fetch anywhere from 10K on the low side to 18K if it were perfect. A rough Lemans builder here will set you back $2,500 minimum and on up and they get it.

I guess I need to go to Texas to get one rebuilt and that nice for 5K.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Depending on what they are asking, it may be worth getting an independent appraisal before you pull the trigger. A good appraiser will have an instrument that measures paint depth. This will give a very good idea of how much body work has been done over the years and to what quality level. They will also be able to give you a ball park value both local and nationally for you would expect to pay for this car (or another for that matter). If the body is clean and the price is right, go for it. It doesn't look like anything has been done to this car that cannot be undone to bring it back closer to original.

I would also price it at $9,000 on the low side and higher if it is as clean as they say it is.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback both positive and scrutinizing. Taking a look at it this week.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Took a look, was not what I was hoping for!

It was in good shape, but not excellent as advertised. Unfortunately there were many aspects that I knew would need to be fixed....and by the time those WERE fixed, I'd no longer be comfortable with the price necessary to make it the way I'd want it. I do appreciate all of your help, the search continues!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 12:22 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDune View Post
Took a look, was not what I was hoping for!

It was in good shape, but not excellent as advertised. Unfortunately there were many aspects that I knew would need to be fixed....and by the time those WERE fixed, I'd no longer be comfortable with the price necessary to make it the way I'd want it. I do appreciate all of your help, the search continues!

Thanks for the follow up to complete your story. Sadly, this seems to happen more often than not as many of us have gone to look at cars of interest only to be disappointed because the seller really did not represent the vehicle as it truly was. Then they seem to feel that "their car" is worth X amount of dollars based on other examples they have researched.

All to often they want to make the statement of how much they have invested into it or what the "potential" end value will be worth once it is restored. Often times you will indeed have a chunk of dollars invested into your ride only to find that you will never get your money back out of it -but it is hard to acknowledge that and take such a loss of your money & time. This is why many here often suggest to look for something that is turn key or in a condition you can live with and afford. If you do buy a real fixer upper, then know that it will most likely take more of your dollars & time than you will get back in return should you sell it. But, if you plan on keeping it for a lifetime or to pass down to a child, then it really doesn't matter so much as you are building because you want to and it is not going anywhere.

It is better to look at any car you want to purchase as one you like and see it as fun, rather than its potential resale value that you are going to find yourself trying to explain to your wife or girlfriend as to why you are dumping so much money into that "stupid car" and not "other things" which they feel are more important to them in the overall scheme of family finances, a "real car," home remodeling, furniture, bling, the kids, entertainment, vacation trips, 401K, and retirement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in