whats it worth - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
whats it worth

1971 GTO Convertible, been sitting in a large garage for the last 10 or 15 years. Motor & auto trans (probably the right ones but don't know) out of the car sitting on the floor, probably rebulit but don't know for sure. Needs a top. Body in good shape, probably original paint. Owner deceased, wife selling the car. Son is a mechanic & a hellova nice guy. Knows his cars.
This guy didn't collect junk and has several other cars in various states of restoration sitting in the garage. I have first shot at the GTO & would like to make a reasonable offer.
I'll be going to look at it in a couple of days.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 08:21 PM

Hey lazlo,
The fact that there were only 661 GTO Convertables built in 71, makes it a rare find.
If it is in good shape and has the original drivetrain, but needs to be put together and restrored, I'd say you'd probably be safe to offer abut $10k. If he balks at that, then your could probably go as high as $12k-13k.

That's just my opinion.

Russ

21st Century Muscle, The Soul of a Legend!

70 Palladium Silver HT 400/AT *SOLD* Elvis has left the building.
2004 YJ M6
2008 IOM G8 GT
Secretary, Newsletter Editor, Webmaster, Susquehanna Valley GTO Tigers
http://svgto.com
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanx... I'm anxious to see it. gotta wait until sunday..

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 08:45 PM

in order to give you the most accurate appraisal I will need to know EXACTLY where the car is located!!!
LOL just kidding .............but seriously you should investigate the drive train because if it is indeed a numbers matching car that will make a big difference in the value good luck I hope you get it!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 09:54 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
With the engine and tranny sitting on the floor I would assume they are both shot or needing an overhaul. Even if they were rebuilt 10+ years ago the gaskets would need to be replaced and the pistons could be seized. If you were able to hear the car run an offer of $10,000 to $15,000 would not be out of line. If the numbers were correct and the car is in original condition, not butchered or rusted and in driving condition an offer of $20,000 would probably be fair.

I would offer a price taking into consideration the block may be cracked and you may be buying a car with no engine, a frame off restoration can easily pass $20,000 with you doing the majority of the work.

Look at the frame verts were common for severe rust. Refer to http://www.gtoalley.com/sevenone.html and http://www.teufert.net/ for your codes.

Randy

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

is there a particular area of the frame that should be inspected? I know the area under the battery box and usually under the master cyclinder..
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazlo View Post
is there a particular area of the frame that should be inspected? I know the area under the battery box and usually under the master cyclinder..
I have always made a point to closely inspect the rear section of the frame since that is generally the area where the frame rails are smaller and more easily eaten away.
Being that this car is a convertable, it has the stronger frame on it, but you may want to look close at the areas under the back seat. I would think that area in a convertable would be susceptable to corrosion if the top had leaking issues.

Russ

21st Century Muscle, The Soul of a Legend!

70 Palladium Silver HT 400/AT *SOLD* Elvis has left the building.
2004 YJ M6
2008 IOM G8 GT
Secretary, Newsletter Editor, Webmaster, Susquehanna Valley GTO Tigers
http://svgto.com
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgto7004 View Post
I have always made a point to closely inspect the rear section of the frame since that is generally the area where the frame rails are smaller and more easily eaten away.
Being that this car is a convertable, it has the stronger frame on it, but you may want to look close at the areas under the back seat. I would think that area in a convertable would be susceptable to corrosion if the top had leaking issues.

Russ

Since the frame was boxed under the passenger compartment they held water, get under the car with a flashlight. Usually the lower part of the frame where the rails were welded together is the first to show problems.

Randy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in