Where is my old Judge? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where is my old Judge?

I sold my Judge in the summer of 1982/3? to a guy that lived in Northboro, MA. It was unique at the time - original Orbit Orange paint but due to complaints from my parents the back half of the car was painted with black Rustoleum primer. Yes, it was quite a sight. But I got it running and had some fun before letting it go cheap. Just curious if anyone on here may know the rest of this story. Of a handful of very special muscle cars I owned around that time this was the one I regret selling the most.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys,

I don't visit this site often as I have not been that focused on finding the old GTO, but I have found a close replacement and would like some guidance on how to authenticate and value before I go check it out.

The car I'm viewing is listed as an original Orbit Orange GTO with RAIII 4 sp. with very few options. It's in the process of being restored and would be taken as a project. Let's say the paint is done and it has an engine (original engine & carb. comes with but not restored). Interior is removed except for dash.

I've been through this with Corvettes and Mustangs but never with GTO. This Judge is the only GTO I would be interested in. No pics at this time, but it is a solid car, with the frame already gone through.

How do I confirm the documentation (PHS) and also originality of sheet metal, engine block, carb, and the major value add original parts? I don't even know them all at this point.

My interest is to put it together for a driver while maintaining the value of being a factory Judge. I don't want trailer queen quality but I value it being authentic and not a "tribute" or "clone".
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by original orbit View Post
Hey guys,

I don't visit this site often as I have not been that focused on finding the old GTO, but I have found a close replacement and would like some guidance on how to authenticate and value before I go check it out.

The car I'm viewing is listed as an original Orbit Orange GTO with RAIII 4 sp. with very few options. It's in the process of being restored and would be taken as a project. Let's say the paint is done and it has an engine (original engine & carb. comes with but not restored). Interior is removed except for dash.

I've been through this with Corvettes and Mustangs but never with GTO. This Judge is the only GTO I would be interested in. No pics at this time, but it is a solid car, with the frame already gone through.

How do I confirm the documentation (PHS) and also originality of sheet metal, engine block, carb, and the major value add original parts? I don't even know them all at this point.

My interest is to put it together for a driver while maintaining the value of being a factory Judge. I don't want trailer queen quality but I value it being authentic and not a "tribute" or "clone".
If you have the VIN #, you can order the PHS documentation yourself for $65. The originality of sheetmetal is trickier. There is a lot that can lurk behind primer and/or fresh paint. Pictures of the car stripped or lots of in progress pics of the bodywork always make me feel better. As far as the engine, ultimategto.com and others has lot of engine info. The block casting #, date code, and stamped # will all have to match to confirm that it is original. Pretty much the same with head and carb #'s. Pretty much all you need to know in that regard is out there on the net for free.

Good luck with it, and I hope it ends up being what it is supposed to be. A black '67 GTO 4 speed car has been my dream car a long time, and after years of looking, I finally have one.

'67 GTO 400 H.O. - 4 speed - 3.55 posi

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Is the original body color also painted on the interior floor panels? The car is stripped down now and being painted. The floors look to be in original orbit orange.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by original orbit View Post
Is the original body color also painted on the interior floor panels? The car is stripped down now and being painted. The floors look to be in original orbit orange.
Yes, the floors under carpet are body color, at least for several inches onto the floor. I've seen some GM cars where the whole floor is body color, and others that were painted just 6 - 8 inches in that was overspray when the rockers were painted.

'67 GTO 400 H.O. - 4 speed - 3.55 posi
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67GTO4SPD View Post
Yes, the floors under carpet are body color, at least for several inches onto the floor. I've seen some GM cars where the whole floor is body color, and others that were painted just 6 - 8 inches in that was overspray when the rockers were painted.
Great. That helps a lot. This car has orbit orange throughout the floor pans and is the original finish. It's got to be legit.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

I think I found a suitable replacement. My Judge had one option, the judge package. This one is also a real Orbit Orange project but has a few options like rear defroster, PS, PB, console and 8 track. Otherwise it matches my original car form the 80s.

The body work is mostly done, original block is gone but a RAIII block with correct carb will be included. Interior is aged and in boxes, Everything is disassembled. It is going through its second restoration. Suspension and brakes have been put back in place, so it seems mostly assembly work is required along with some cleaning and detailing.

Thinking I could arrange for the body work to be finished before the sale (and touched up after drive train is back in place), doing all the assembly myself, I'm awaiting a price from the seller.

Surely there will be missing pieces, but he claims to have everything. What would you value this as a project?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Revising this post - may have found my old Judge. I was told this one was purchased from the guy I sold mine to. I am trying to verify that. It's been restored to driver condition and offered for $45k. NOM and added options that did not come from the factory (disc brakes, tilt wheel, PS, PB), Mine was bare bones manual everything and drum brakes.

It has new paint, carpet, interior is complete and nice except for headliner (not terrible but should be replaced). It looks to be complete, nice chrome, very presentable. I have not gotten a very close look underneath so far. But it is a very presentable driver restoration. If it is indeed my old car my interest is peaked. Being an original Orbit Orange 1970 Judge I am excited to have the opportunity to consider purchasing it.

They did not do a frame restoration, but lifted the body enough to replace the bushings. Does that even make sense? Major shortcut?

Fit and finish of some of the seals and hardware was a little off but certainly can be corrected over time. Glass was ok, a little sanding damage so would want to replace over time.

Are we in the right ballpark on price?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in