why stock? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
why stock?

lets here the pros and cons on resto versus street performance modifications,,car guy neighbors are all voicing their opinions as to why i should do this or shouldn't do that on reassembling my non original pile of parts i call a 67gto,heck!,i'm going to drive the car when i get the motor back in,that's a ~period~it will get driven weekly,i feel the cars are undervalued myself,mine has sat for 3 years inside it's time to get out!,in other words i've already `collected' it ,if the car is worth way less than 25 large then it's just a driver,every piece of brightwork has gravel chips,it's all original!,people talk `values'like any old used car is worth top dollar if it's got shiny paint and i look at a car and see=total teardown, rotisserie the body and reassemble with all new trim and chrome glass yadayada and so go ahead and build it to the ninth degree ,and then what?,,,let it sit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
lets here the pros and cons on resto versus street performance modifications,,car guy neighbors are all voicing their opinions as to why i should do this or shouldn't do that on reassembling my non original pile of parts i call a 67gto,heck!,i'm going to drive the car when i get the motor back in,that's a ~period~it will get driven weekly,i feel the cars are undervalued myself,mine has sat for 3 years inside it's time to get out!,in other words i've already `collected' it ,if the car is worth way less than 25 large then it's just a driver,every piece of brightwork has gravel chips,it's all original!,people talk `values'like any old used car is worth top dollar if it's got shiny paint and i look at a car and see=total teardown, rotisserie the body and reassemble with all new trim and chrome glass yadayada and so go ahead and build it to the ninth degree ,and then what?,,,let it sit?
Do what you want.

If it's a pile of parts without the original motor/trans, it'll never be a collectors car. Matter of fact, you could probably finance the rebuild by selling some of the date coded parts to people who really DO need them and replacing those parts with modern parts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

parts is parts

at this point in the year i'm just attempting to catch the tiger's tail as he heads into living out of doors instead of trapped in the corner of my shop waiting to be rescued like an old dog,,thank you! i needed that ,,,nice to state your case once in awhile

somewhere in oregon praying for some good gas,cool weather and a two car length jump on ya!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 09:48 AM

Hey Hammer,
I'm with Jackalope on this one.
When I bought my 70, I never intended to make it an original resto, mainly because it did not have the original drivetrain.
The 400 is an XH coded block from a 70 B body Pontiac. It is rated the same 350hp as the original 400 that came in the car. The Turbo 400 AT has the correct number code on the case, so it is possible that it is the original. The rear in my car has been replaced with a 12 bolt, probably a Chevelle rear.
The car had only 56k when I bought it 12 years ago, and the body was pretty straight with little rust.
That being the case, it was never my intention to spend all my days trying to search out the original engine, I just want a cool car to drive.
When I picked it up, the previous owner had painted it Orange. So, I decided that I wanted to make it look original, but was not going to obsess about making it a show winning restoration. i had not the time, money or inclination to do that.
So, what I have now, is an original color, original looking 70 GTO Hardtop, that I can drive and mod internally, to my hearts content and not have to worry about some anal retentive judge nit-picking because my radiator hose is not the right date, or my master cylinder is not anodized in the right color. That's not what I'm all about.
I want to be able to stomp on it out of my driveway and leave 50 ft of rubber stripes down the road! (don't tell anyone, but she'll do it too!)

If you can't drive your GTO, then put it in a museum!

Russ

21st Century Muscle, The Soul of a Legend!

70 Palladium Silver HT 400/AT *SOLD* Elvis has left the building.
2004 YJ M6
2008 IOM G8 GT
Secretary, Newsletter Editor, Webmaster, Susquehanna Valley GTO Tigers
http://svgto.com
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgto7004 View Post
Hey Hammer,
I'm with Jackalope on this one.
When I bought my 70, I never intended to make it an original resto, mainly because it did not have the original drivetrain.
The 400 is an XH coded block from a 70 B body Pontiac. It is rated the same 350hp as the original 400 that came in the car. The Turbo 400 AT has the correct number code on the case, so it is possible that it is the original. The rear in my car has been replaced with a 12 bolt, probably a Chevelle rear.
The car had only 56k when I bought it 12 years ago, and the body was pretty straight with little rust.
That being the case, it was never my intention to spend all my days trying to search out the original engine, I just want a cool car to drive.
When I picked it up, the previous owner had painted it Orange. So, I decided that I wanted to make it look original, but was not going to obsess about making it a show winning restoration. i had not the time, money or inclination to do that.
So, what I have now, is an original color, original looking 70 GTO Hardtop, that I can drive and mod internally, to my hearts content and not have to worry about some anal retentive judge nit-picking because my radiator hose is not the right date, or my master cylinder is not anodized in the right color. That's not what I'm all about.
I want to be able to stomp on it out of my driveway and leave 50 ft of rubber stripes down the road! (don't tell anyone, but she'll do it too!)

If you can't drive your GTO, then put it in a museum!

Russ

Only 50'??? Sounds like you may need a tune-up ... (or possibly cheaper tires )
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 12:58 AM

Heh-heh-heh!

When I first got my 64 GTO back in 1967, my dad owned a service station. Well, that used goat needed some new tires bad so he stuck a set of 775x14 recaps on it.

Two days later I came back for my THIRD set of them and that almost cost me the car.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Hahaha!

YEAH! this thread is goin' places!,,in about th 9th grade my pals older brother had a `fastback' gto(`8 or`9) and hahaha man! even with 4 people in it it would smoke the tires clear out of site and the interior wouldn't clear out for a mile,,,,WOW! i'm having a FLASHBACK! yeah the car was maroon with a BVTop black interior and a console wit da 4spd,,,,,,,,uh-uoh,,here's one= years later when i had MINE! a buddy said light em up! so,i did fricken about an 8th of a mile we were both shocked and he had an SS 454 of course to put it into perspective they resurfaced the roads by `chipsealing' tar then gravel or visa versa so the surface was quite porous,now they've recovered most of the roadways with mega inches of blacktop including interstate 5,and of course the old tires had something to contribute the area here has grown up you'd proly get handcuffed in short order for being uncivilised

somewhere in oregon praying for some good gas,cool weather and a two car length jump on ya!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 06:01 PM

It's really funny.

That old 64 goat had the two-speed powerglide transmission. I know it probably would have been lucky to break into the 15's on a quarter. But I've never owned anything before or since that could melt down a tire like that thing could.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

mine originally had

3.55 limited slip and the 4 spd with the high a-- first gear (M-18=?) and with phillips 66 H-78's it was dump the clutch=?=feels like something broke? then notice everything's working , grab second,VROOOM you'd leap out there!,then i got the L-60's on the back and things changed quite a bit when you dumped it,,,,,,- i sort of iherited an old mid 60's cad with a bad quarter panel,abandoned at my shop,it also had rust,,,i used to jump in that between coats of bondo and do one H of a burnout in reverse,fry the concrete you could hear it popping looked cool on film,,,,,,sigh! the good old days 1980 when you could ask about a GTO body and they'd just give it to you ,,maybe i'll sand on an old tire this afternoon just for effect

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 09:40 PM

Hammer,

You just gotta get that thing put together and get out on the road with it. It's hard to get rubber from a pile of parts. Once you have it together, you can always keep an eye open for parts that come available at swap meets or eBay. 'lope makes a great point that if you have date-coded parts and don't plan to make the car an investement, trade them for what you need to make it run and look the way you want it. A guy on American Muscle Car from Butler said it best. He says that rather than spending a lot of money to get max HP out of an original engine, every piece is available in the aftermarket to build whatever you want. The originals are better preserved in a museum. Get yours together and drive it like you stole it. Enjoy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in