Why or why not the emblems on my car? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why or why not the emblems on my car?

I just purchased a 70 GTO and my car has the 400 emblems on the lower rocker panel behind the front wheels. I've been looking at a lot of pics of other GTOs of this year and they don't have the emblems. Can someone tell me why the difference? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmusclecar View Post
I just purchased a 70 GTO and my car has the 400 emblems on the lower rocker panel behind the front wheels. I've been looking at a lot of pics of other GTOs of this year and they don't have the emblems. Can someone tell me why the difference? Thanks
The GTO never came with the "400" or "455" emblems on the rocker trim. Those rocker trim panels would have been from a LeMans or Tempest, as they have the lettering on them.

The 70 GTO was the first GTO to use the decal badges instead of the cast ones.
On the 70 GTO, there are 4 GTO badges on the outside of the car. There is one in the left grille, which is a cast piece with the inside of the letters painted white.
There is one decal badge on each front fender and one on the right side of the trunk lid. No other badges are on outside of the car.

The decal badges came in three colors, white, black and red. The decal color was dictated by the exterior color of the car. I have not yet found a source that shows which color decal came with which color car.

On my 70, it does not even say Pontiac anywhere on the outside of the car. The only place it says Pontiac is on the filler plate on the instrument panel where the a/c vent would be if it was an a/c equipped car.

So, to sum everything up, you have rocker mouldings off a LeMans or Tempest, not a GTO.

Hope this helps.

Russ

21st Century Muscle, The Soul of a Legend!

70 Palladium Silver HT 400/AT *SOLD* Elvis has left the building.
2004 YJ M6
2008 IOM G8 GT
Secretary, Newsletter Editor, Webmaster, Susquehanna Valley GTO Tigers
http://svgto.com
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Yes Russ, that does help............I was wondering if someone had rebadged a GT37 as my GTO........but what you said makes a lot more sense since it would have been cheaper to put on the rocker panels than an Endura nose and all the other GTO appearance package. Thanks again Russ..good info you shared. Rob

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Yes Russ, that does help............I was wondering if someone had rebadged a GT37 as my GTO........but what you said makes a lot more sense since it would have been cheaper to put on the rocker panels than an Endura nose and all the other GTO appearance package. Thanks again Russ..good info you shared. Rob
Glad I could help Rob.
Just to be certain, take a peak at your VIN. Yours should start with:
24237XXXX
If so, you have a genuine GTO.

Russ

2004 YJ M6
2008 IOM G8 GT
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Here's my Vin# 24237XXXXXXX so it's a GTO.
My GTO and I will be relocating back to the central PA area so I'll have to look you and moderator GTO Judge from Lancaster up and maybe direct me on some ideas I have. I think my GTO engine has a Ram Air III cam in it and I'd like to bring some of the power and torque down in the rpm range where it's more usuable. My GTO will mostly be used for car shows and weekend cruising to the gas station. Thanks again for the info.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Here's my Vin# 24237XXXXXXX so it's a GTO.
My GTO and I will be relocating back to the central PA area so I'll have to look you and moderator GTO Judge from Lancaster up and maybe direct me on some ideas I have. I think my GTO engine has a Ram Air III cam in it and I'd like to bring some of the power and torque down in the rpm range where it's more usuable. My GTO will mostly be used for car shows and weekend cruising to the gas station. Thanks again for the info.
Certaily look us up when you get back here. Where in central pa will you be?
When will you be moving?

I hear what you're saying about the cam. When I bought mine, the guy told me it has a "mild" street cam in it. Unfortunately, you have to take it out to know for sure.
So, for now, it is what it is. Need to have the Qjet rebuilt so she'll really growl.
I mainly drive mine to local shows. That's why I have my 04. That one I can take anywhere and raise some hell! There is a spot near my house where the ricers hang out on Saturday nights. Well, I didn't have anything to do on Saturday night, so I drove by there a couple times and taunted them with a few smoky burnouts and some 2nd gear chirpping. Needless to say, none of them came out to play!

Look forward to you becoming a local!

Russ

2004 YJ M6
2008 IOM G8 GT
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgto7004 View Post
Certaily look us up when you get back here. Where in central pa will you be?
When will you be moving?

I hear what you're saying about the cam. When I bought mine, the guy told me it has a "mild" street cam in it. Unfortunately, you have to take it out to know for sure.

Russ
I'll be living in Mechanicsburg temporarily until I find a cabin. I have been trying to locate a cabin back in the central penna area and haven't had much luck. Hopefully something will become available soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in