• 1 Post By johny
  • 1 Post By NOS Only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Winter-Izeing... The Plan...

Well, I searched for this, and while there are some discussions on fuel additives and winter driving, I couldn't find it all in one place, so here goes....

I live in Michigan - and the clock is ticking.... Here is my plan; anyone that can help would be appreciated.....

1) I need a car cover. It will be locked in my garage all winter, any recommendations?
2) I think my tank leaks slightly when full, so need to limit gas to about a half tank. Suggestions on stabilizers, and run through?
3) What about the battery? Should I disconnect it, or leave it connected? Maybe a trickle charger on it plugged in through the winter?
4) Should I get the whole car up on 4 jack stands to keep it off the tires?
5) Should I start it every month or so?
6) Anything else?

So you can see I have a pretty detailed plan, just wanted to share it to help others!

Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 01:54 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
I would avoid a car cover entirely. Simply inspect the car every other week for rodent activity. Some use bounce dryer sheets or Irish Spring soap sitting inside the car to discourage rodents. A car cover traps moisture and will give rodents more privacy to do their damage.
Gas is your call. I would fill it as much as possible and maybe add a couple of ounces of ATF or Marvel Mystery oil to prevent rust.
No on the jack stands. Let it sit on the tires. Modern tires won't flat spot, and the car is better off sitting on the suspension as intended.
Do NOT start every month or so unless you will be driving it 10-20 miles each time. Starting an engine and running it a few minutes without driving the car does more harm than good. It generates moisture which turns to corrosive acids in the crankcase and tailpipes if it's not burned off by actually driving the car long enough.
I would simply disconnect the battery. You can give it an overnight 2 amp trickle charge right before you're ready to use the car again.
Fresh engine oil BEFORE you store the car is always a good idea. Not necessary if your current fill is not black and used up.
curtis.smith68 and Ebartone like this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebartone View Post
Well, I searched for this, and while there are some discussions on fuel additives and winter driving, I couldn't find it all in one place, so here goes....

I live in Michigan - and the clock is ticking.... Here is my plan; anyone that can help would be appreciated.....

1) I need a car cover. It will be locked in my garage all winter, any recommendations?
2) I think my tank leaks slightly when full, so need to limit gas to about a half tank. Suggestions on stabilizers, and run through?
3) What about the battery? Should I disconnect it, or leave it connected? Maybe a trickle charger on it plugged in through the winter?
4) Should I get the whole car up on 4 jack stands to keep it off the tires?
5) Should I start it every month or so?
6) Anything else?

So you can see I have a pretty detailed plan, just wanted to share it to help others!

Ed
https://www.gtoforum.com/f12/fuel-ta...ization-35300/

https://www.gtoforum.com/f12/car-cover-132707/

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Sadly, it's that time of year again. We're going to put our GTO away next week.
Our storage plan is simple
1. Pour a bottle of Sta-bil in a full tank of gas
2. Remove the battery
3. Put the cover on
4. Put the car on jacks. Our car has Polyglas GT tires so we put the car on jack stands. We set the jacks under the front and rear suspension so the car is properly supported.
5. Put trays and Pig Mats under the engine and transmission. The goat does like to mark its territory. I bought the Pig Mats at Autozone. They're good for absorbing the drips.

Car Cover: We use a cover because several years ago we stored a different car in a different garage and the owners had a cat and we found paw prints on the car once. No harm to the car and the owners were very apologetic.
You can find good covers at any local auto parts store for not a lot of money. We bought one at Autozone.
The car is stored in a garage near our house so we check on it regularly.
We don't start the engine during the winter. I was told that's a bad thing to do.

In the spring we put the battery on the charger for a little while, put it back in the car and it starts right up.

I hope this helps
John
Ebartone likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebartone View Post

1) I need a car cover. It will be locked in my garage all winter, any recommendations? Budge Car Covers work just fine - About $25.00 at WalMart. I use them on everything from a black car to a factory Prototype.
2) I think my tank leaks slightly when full, so need to limit gas to about a half tank. Suggestions on stabilizers, and run through? I prefer to leave as little fuel in as possible with some Sta-Bil
3) What about the battery? Should I disconnect it, or leave it connected? Maybe a trickle charger on it plugged in through the winter? Absolutely disconnect it. I do not use any chargers or maintainers and 1 of my batteries is 15 years old.
4) Should I get the whole car up on 4 jack stands to keep it off the tires? You can, I used to but found no significant difference even after decades of storage.
5) Should I start it every month or so? Again, no real need to for the short time it is down but no harm, no foul if you do.
6) Anything else? If you plan on periodically starting the car don't back it in. Pull it straight in so that the exhaust is facing the garage door and open the door for ventilation.

Ed
Ebartone likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in