post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wire shielding

Howdy
Im repairing my wireing harnesses.
particularily the one on the drivers side, going to the starter and such, that feels all the heat.
Is there something y'all wrap around the wire bundle for max. heat protection?
thanks as always
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 09:30 PM

Originaly that came with a asbestos tube that the wires all three wires whent through and worked great. The stuff they have now does not work worth a dam. In 20 years time I have tried everything to keep my wires from getting crispy. For the 2 small wires I went to a electronics store a got oven wire the same gauge multi strand good for 1200 deg. I spliced that into the original wires right behind the altenator, but that is still not enough. They sell at the electronics store high heat cloth tubes in various diameters. I got one real tight to go on to each of the oven wires separately. Then I got one that was large enough for the two small ones and battery cable to go through. I also put the battery cable through a small diameter heat tube cloth before the large one with the two oven wires. The large final heat shield is made out of mylar. It has a reflective coating on the out side.

Most Pontiac owners complain about hot starting issues. They spend a ton of money on starters and it still is a problem. Most hot start problems are because the Battery cable and the 2 starter selenoid wires are getting way to hot. There is nothing on this planet that works as well as asbestos.

A friend of mine in his 67 GTO had a terrible engine fire because after a few years driving the car with a aftermarket non asbestos heat tube, the cloth heat tube broke down and the battery insulation got hard and cracked. It grounded out on the inside of the exhaust steel tube.

Last edited by dimitri; 02-20-2011 at 09:54 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 10:46 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Dimitri pretty much called it. The tube is steel, but asbestos is used inside of it. I've used the following: wood from clothespins (had the B+ cable burn thru and short and was 100 miles from home), cloth friction tape, and heat shrink tubing on the wires with heat tape (header wrap type) over it, and then jammed in the tube. I have stock and old starters on my cars, and don't have hot start issues (anymore) because I fixed the WIRING. (took me over 25 years to finally pull the dash on the '67 and fix the bad wire at my ignition switch, which fixed my problem!!!) The Ford starter solenoid trick, heat shields, etc. are bandaids. If the wiring is in good shape, properly routed and kept from frying, you'll be fine. These cars did not have hot start problems when they were new....they wouldn't have been able to sell them!!!!! Good luck.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)

I just mounted the starter for the 1st time since putting on the ex manifolds.
double yikes!!!!
The sucker sure is mounted in the midst of hell. lol
It seems that I could bend the large lug at a 90 and bring the cable straight out below the ex. or maybe better yet come down and under the motor mount and up to the battery.
What I do not see is where you guys mount the tube the wires go thru.
(It amazes the heck out of me how few people even has heard the term "teflon wire" even at NAPA lol}
ps. never heard of such a thing, but being a elect/electronic type, shouldn't there be a fusable link in the main battery cable if over heating is such and issue?
thanks as always
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2677.JPG
Views:	420
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	10384  

Last edited by Topkat; 02-21-2011 at 04:38 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 05:13 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Top, if you're running the HO manifolds like I think you are, the tube goes at the front of the manifold instead of the rear, like on conventional GTO's. You'll need a diagram or to go onto the other forum PY forums online to get a picture/instructions. I think OldGoat67 posted a picture or two of his own car, with that set up. He posts here too, just not regularly. The batt cable and starter wires come from the front of the engine and go thru the tube and back to the starter, instead of straight down between #5 and #7 cylinders at the exhaust, like a base GTO.....
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
Top, if you're running the HO manifolds like I think you are, the tube goes at the front of the manifold instead of the rear, like on conventional GTO's. You'll need a diagram or to go onto the other forum PY forums online to get a picture/instructions. I think OldGoat67 posted a picture or two of his own car, with that set up. He posts here too, just not regularly. The batt cable and starter wires come from the front of the engine and go thru the tube and back to the starter, instead of straight down between #5 and #7 cylinders at the exhaust, like a base GTO.....
Geeteeohguy I have a question on placement? On my 68 with a 400 factory ram air mainifolds the steel tube is bolted to the bottom of the left side motor mount with a steel tube. It is a ram air exhaust steel tube different part number. Check out Ames

https://secure.amesperf.com/qilan/De...art_num=N179EK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in