Would you negotiate price over the phone? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Would you negotiate price over the phone?

I was looking at this 1970 LeMans convertible for $10900. However, all I can afford to pay for this car is 8k. I asked the guy how firm was he on the price. He said that he is willing to negotiate. I was thinking should i call him back and tell him all I got is 8k and if he is not willing to take 8k for it then there is no reason to waste my time nor his time looking at it? I know I would have to look at 1st but if he won't take 8k then there is no reason to look. If you were me or the seller would you be ok with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 10:51 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If it's relatively close by, I would go look at it first before wheeling and dealing. That way you're showing more interest in the car and the seller knows you're serious. I guess if I was selling it, I wouldn't do any dealing over the phone except to say I may be willing to negotiate...JMO

SOLD.....
462ci, 4spd
Performer Intake, Mild Cam
Pertronix Ignitor III
Accel Super Coil, Accel 8.8mm Wires
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 10:51 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
You say you were looking at this car. So you've already seen it? If so, you can negotiate on the phone, though in person is always best. If you've not seen the car, in NO WAY should you be even thinking of buying it and negotiating over the phone unless you are a hardened car trader/dealer. Ten-nine is more than I would pay for any '70 Lemans ragtop, unless it was in show condition.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

I haven't seen it yet, but I will wait to negotiate price in person. Here is a link.
1970 Pontiac LeMans GTO convertible
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by psilentchild View Post
I haven't seen it yet, but I will wait to negotiate price in person. Here is a link.
1970 Pontiac LeMans GTO convertible

Go see the car and make your offer. Then shut up. The next person who talks usually loses the discussion.

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
x2 what Geetee said, GTO tags don't increase the value of a LeMans. Go look at the car if you are serious about buying, inspect it thoroughly. If you are not mechanically inclined take a friend who is. Cash talks in negotiations, when i am prepared to buy something i will always take the cash i am willing to spend (along with my buddies Smith & Wesson) and unless i am overly impressed by the inspection i will not go above the value i have set which means counter offering lower than my number for some room for him to think he did not get low balled. You will know immediately if your offer insulted him, if so walk away, he places to much value on what he thinks he has. Key is to do your homework before you go,whats a mint Lemans worth (comparables "sold" within the last few months not bluebook, reserves or asking prices)? What would need to be done to the car to get it to that standard ("i will need to do this, this and this to the car to make it worth what your asking".) His asking less what you will need to do to it should justify your reasonable offer.

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would

I would cause thats what i did to get my 71.
I seen a car (71 GTO ) on craigslist same as you.
there was only 2 pics of the car so I called the guy and talked about the car.
after 3 days of talking and him emailing me numerous pictures.
i made a offer and we agreed to meet.
the car was better looking than he described and he had told me the whole history of the car and everything he had done to it.
I seen the car you are looking at also on craigslist, i would not go over $8,000 for a lemans.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 01:12 PM

First of all no matter what kind of car it is, I never would pay the asking price. Go see the car and take anybody that can provide any expertise you don't have. Make an offer it you want the car. If the seller turns you down, give him your name and number incase he changes his mind. Sometimes a seller may not get any other offers and will accept yours. If not keep looking.

67 Post Coupe,
69 RA III Judge
06 BOM, M6, 18's
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

I was thinking I would start out with $7000 or $7500. Then once he rejects that offer him 8 as a final offer. I was going to carry my cousin with me who knows a lot about cars and love guns and my grandfather who use to restore cars for a living.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 02:31 PM

don't know if I'd go 7k when he's asking 11k ..how long has this been for sale ?? ..has he had any offers ??..maybe ask his bottom line just to judge where your at compared to him ..and his bottom line PROBABLY isn't in stone ..don't offer 8k if thats your max ..maybe 7600 ..bought and sold many cars.. its a dance and you want to be sitting in the car when the music stops ..listen to what he has to say ..let him talk you can learn a lot from his demeanor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in