Yet another question-Repro 70 consoles - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yet another question-Repro 70 consoles

I think the one I have seen is on the OPGI site. It states that it is NOT for converting a car that didn't have a factory console.
I have also seen for sale, maybe even on the OPGI site, a floor bracket that the console mounts to.
If I get the bracket and install it in the proper location could I then use the console, or is there something else I am missing?

Thanks,
Russ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by russosborne View Post
I think the one I have seen is on the OPGI site. It states that it is NOT for converting a car that didn't have a factory console.
I have also seen for sale, maybe even on the OPGI site, a floor bracket that the console mounts to.
If I get the bracket and install it in the proper location could I then use the console, or is there something else I am missing?
As far as I know, Russ, that bracket would be all you'd need. I know on my 69 that has a factory console, there's a square bracket on the rear of the tunnel that the console mounts to. That's the only difference. As usual though I'll defer to anyone who's actually done it with a 70. Heck, if you're handy with metal you could probably make your own bracket/mount. It's under the console so no one's going to see it anyway.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
The bracket is only thing that holds it in place and is simply a piece of 1.5" x .040 bent like a "W" that bolts to the hump and the console screws to it, the shifter also holds and positions it so you will need a correct floor shifter, or modify one to fit, i used a B&M quicksilver ratchet similar to the his and hers, cut the cable hub off the stock one and slotted it to bracket on the new shifter so i could use the factory style cable, you will also need the wiring harness from console to under dash, and the neutral lock out switch.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 11:14 PM

Garage
I think they are refering to converting a column shift to a floor shifter. My 70 HAD linkage going from the tranny to the column with a factory floor shifter. I installed headers and the linkage bound, so I disconnected it. I think you lose the neutral safety shift in the conversion, but haven't tried it..

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 07:39 AM

my bad Jet, i am thinking 66' before they put the key in the column, i think in the 70's the neutral safety switch stayed in the column as you say and rotated the collar to activate switch...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks.
I will be converting from a column shift, but will get a shifter like the Quicksilver or similar that has the neutral switch ability if it is on the shifter and not the column. . Or who knows, maybe I will get a stock auto shifter. I don't even know what they look like.
If I ever get that far that is. :-)
Saw a floor shift column sitting on Craigslist forever, until I actually bought the car, and then of course it was gone.
Russ
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 03:48 PM

Russ, i would get the 70 rally auto shifter it came with stock, they have the shift lock built into them when you throw it forward to upshift to second if you push it toward the passenger fender it will lock in and not over shift, i had one in my 69' bird not quite a ratchet or his/hers but the do the trick when you want to shift it manually if driving aggressively.

heres a few...do you all ready have the console?

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_...506.m270.l1313

here is the quicksilver in stock console

Last edited by Instg8ter; 02-11-2011 at 04:00 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks.
Nope, don't have one yet. Funny thing is I just found a 70-72 one with the shifter up in Michigan, around Grand Rapids. Guy is selling a bunch of muscle car stuff on craigslist. I sent him an email to see if he is willing to ship, since there is no way I could talk my wife into THAT drive. :-)
He also has a 70 140MPH cluster for sale. I think that was all the GTO stuff listed. He is going to be at a swap meet in that area this Sunday. Wish it were closer. Although I am sure if I tell my wife about it she will be happy it is far away.

Just looked at the ones you linked to. Ouch!. Way out of my price range right now.

Russ
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 07:31 PM

shouild'nt be too hard to ship it, does not weigh that much just oversized...i have a buddy that lives in Grand Rapids, let me know if you have a problem with him shipping it, i may be able to help you out if he won't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in