1965 GTO Axle Flange - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
1965 GTO Axle Flange

I am replacing my rear drum brakes with disc and had to remove the axles. The retaining plate on the axle was slightly bent and i did not want to reinstall it that way. So I bought a new part. The replacement part is a bit different than the original (see pic) so I'm hesitant to make the change. It appears that the new axle flange has an indentation designed on it so a full seal on the axle tube would not occur. I'm thinking of just reinstalling the lightly bent original axle flange and not replacing the bearing which appears to be in good shape. Any advice??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4859.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	821.0 KB
ID:	69682   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4860.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	69690  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 09:36 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Garage
Hmmm. Shouldn't be a problem in my opinion. The notch would assumingly be on the bottom, opening facing down.

You went through all that work to tear it apart, then you install the axle with the old bearing that looks good, only to have it fail and you are either laid up on the side of the road or pulling the whole thing apart for a redo as you kick yourself for not simply doing it right the first place.

Install a new seals. Buy new bearings. Buy new collars. Take the new bearing and new collar to a trans shop or other axle shop and have them press the old bearing off and the new one on. Get a cheapo seal installer from Harbor Freight and install the seal yourself.

You can buy a complete kit that includes seals, collars, and bearings.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 07:47 PM
64-67 Expert

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
What Jim said. That's a green bearing....original equipment. Sealed. There is an inner seal that will keep the gear oil in the diff. No worries using the new flange. I would highly recommend replacing both rear bearings at this time. Good to go for another 80K miles or more.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 10:40 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Running 45-50 year old sealed axle (green RW507C) bearings is like playing Russian Roulette. Anytime I get a '64-69 A body or '67-69 Firebird in here for maintainance with the original bolt-in axle rear in it, one of the first things I do is pull the drums, then the rear axles, and see if the rear axle bearings have been replaced. Unless there is paperwork with car showing they've been replaced recently, I press them off, ck the axles for wear, then press new bearings on, then ck the axle flange runout, then if axle is fine, press new new lock collars on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Undercarriage, Frame, Transmission and Differential Discussions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in