User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1967 GTO Post coupe 3 speed

First off my name is Joseph and I've an inactive member for quite a while now. I've owned my 1967 GTO since 2007 and I have been playing with it ever since. It was a factory 3 speed (FoMoCo unit) and also a post car. I'm really curious to how many of them were built that way. I know its not one of the weezy 255hp cars as they never came with the 3 speed from what I under stand, Also its not a ram air car so the 335 horse engine is what it would have had? Unfortunately it had a NOM 1965 389 in it when I bought it but still had the factory transmission and bell housing. Could any one point me in the right direction to find more out about my car? Or does anyone have an estimated idea as to actual production numbers of 3 speed post cars. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by hurstmotox67; 11-28-2014 at 09:02 PM. Reason: forgot information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Hi. Coupes rule. I've had my current '67 coupe for over 20 years now. Had one brand new in '67. In all my years of looking around, I don't think there are any stats beyond the body style, auto vs standard, and engine type. In other words, of all the 67's produced with 335 hp (or any hp for that matter), all you'll get is those 3 breakdowns. It would be a Herculean task for PHS to go through the build sheets to tally up the options. I have p/s, p/b, a/c, M20 and no console. I saw a coupe many years ago in New Orleans that was a Ram Air, but you can add on those parts. For fun you should get your build sheet from PHS. That will confirm if your car started life as a 335 hp. When I show people the '67 stats in The Legend, and point to the heavy duty 3 sp being made by Ford, they kinda don't believe it. I've also heard people whisper that my coupe must be a clone since they've never seen a post car before.
So enjoy your rare tranny and no need to tell anyone that is a '65 motor unless an aficionado asks. Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever seen a 3 sp '67 in person, much less one with a Dearborn tranny. And I've never seen another '67 without a console either.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for taking the time to reply! Mine is a manual steering, 4 wheel manual drum brakes and from what I can decide so far by the data plate is that it was a factory mariner turquoise car with a white vinyl top ( still the right blue but no top) I'm having a hard time deciphering the rest of the tag though. Its a 4:10 posi car also. Has a 10 bolt in it and the bel housing is vehicle and 3 speed specific because it's drilled and tapped for the ford 3 speed and a Muncie 4 speed as I currently have an m21 in it while I source down new bushings for the ford 3 speed. The ford 3 speed has hurst linkage and shifter on it also, I have no idea if it's factory that way or not. I'll list the fender tag the best I can and maybe you can help figure it out with me! It's also a non console car as there are no holes drilled in the floor for it to mount to.

General Motors corporation
03E1
ST 67-24207 PON 1968 BODY
TR 223-B K-c. PAINT
0 2L 3B

Body by Fisher 3-1

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 10:35 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
If the rear end is in fact a BOP 4:11 that makes the car even more rare, the 4:11 was a dealer installed option and the car was ordered and delivered with a 3:90 from the factory.

With the painted top you probably have a 1 of 1 car,

Randy

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

Wow! I never would have thought it would have been a 1 of 1 car! Before I had the car running I purchased a gear set of 4:10 for it and an installation kit and when I pulled the axles and the rear cover (it is a BOP 10 bolt) I counted the teeth on the ring and pinion and it came back as a 4:10 (or 4:11) ratio. I sent the Richmond gears back haha. It does have rear defrost and as far as I can tell besides the GTO option and roof, that's the only option I can find on it. I keep trying to upload pictures of it but it's not working. It was in barn storage for 23 years so it's not in the greatest condition and it's been an ohio car since atleast 1976. It was built in the michigan plant as well.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 09:05 AM

1 of 1 might not be something to get real excited about. It may be only 1 because it's so odd and no other GTO buyer was interested in such utilitarian offerings. It could have been a parent trying to "slow down" their kid's new car too, and in thinking the gear would limit top speed gave no thought to the beloved stop light grand prix that most GTOs could rule. I recall a 68 3spd no option car, bought new for his son, and dad didn't want him to have a "hot rod" GTO.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Your cowl tag of 2L is a 4 speed floor shift. You said your car came with a 3 speed maunal.

O is two tone paint chrome separator strip. K in your paint section is Gulf Turquoise metallic. C is the top color of Cameo Ivory paint. If you had a vinyl top like you said it has, it would have a number and not a letter for that code.

3B is rear window defogger.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 11:50 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
And the plot thickens.....The Dearborn 3 speed was the standard transmission in these cars. It's what you got if you didn't pay extra for a 4 speed or a 2 speed automatic...both about $160-$180 additional. All the 3 speed cars, like the 4 speed cars, got Hurst shifters Pontiac was the first make to do this, and Olds followed suit. The Dearborn 3 speed is usually swapped for a 4 speed, because it sounds better to say "I have a 4 speed". In fact, the Dearborn unit is stronger than the Muncie 4 speed and will take more abuse. It's just not as 'cool'. The PHS will tell you exactly what your car came with.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the information guys! I'm just surprised it was ordered the way it was. To me that's an odd color combination but who knows. I really have done very little research about the options of the GTO or any Pontiac for that matter. I didn't figure they had painted roofs, just vinyl tops. Thanks for clearing that up! It's surprising that according to the options tag it was a 4 speed car from the factory because i would imagine someone would have to either A.) want a 3 speed and track one down with the bell housing. Or B.) Have a donor car and used it for the flywheel back. Who knows what the actual reason is but it's nice to know! does anyone know what the "3-1" after the "body by fisher" means? it does still have the rear defrost installed, unfortunately non working. I'm assuming that the car had only two options then? the 4 speed and the rear defrost? Thanks again guys, I appreciate the time every one is taking to help me figure everything out!
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 07:51 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
My bet is that the original motor/trans was blown up early on, and an earlier GTO gave up its 389 and 3 speed for your car. Happened all the time. Whatever worked, on limited funds, got the nod. About why folks bought 3 speeds instead of 4 speeds, my boss (an older gent) filled me in. When he bought his brand new '69 Nova SS, a 4 speed was $180 more. That was a lot of $$$ in '69, over $1000 in today's dollars. He opted for a standard 3 speed because it was all he could afford, putting himself through college at the time. Money was tight for a lot of young folks just starting out, and the extra cost of another gear was simply not affordable. Plus, if you drive a 4 speed car vs a 3 speed, the difference on the street, performance-wise, is very, very slight. Post some pics of your '67!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Undercarriage, Frame, Transmission and Differential Discussions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in