Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1971 Frame ID help?

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  05GTO 
#1 ·
Is the frame ID number supposed to match the Vin? or part of the vin? or manufacturing dates? I found siome numbers stamped into the side of the lft rear rail. The shop manual states: "The manufacturer's identification number is stamped on the left rear side rail as illustrated...." the illustration shows the side of the frame(not the top). My numbers 3992388 S(with a circle around it) 362 then under that is a series 3 15 N1 CR. Just trying to match the frame to the vin and cowl tag. Thanks for any info.

See less See more
#2 ·
You should have the last 7 digits of your vin stamped on the frame, the first number should be the manufacture plant which should be A, B, G, P, R and Z. The next numbers 3 15 n1 cr may be a date of March 15 night shift.

Check your data plate for the build date and the manufactue plant, the 3 in the first group of numbers may be a "B" for the baltimore plant. The date code on the data plate for March 15 will be 03 C for the 3rd week in March.

#3 · (Edited)
thanks that helps, on TOP of the frame IS the last 8 of my vin. Starts with 1 P for 71, PONTIAC PLANT. I was initially confused becasue i was reading it upside down and backwards. (IN a Mirror) I should have been reading it right to left instead of left to right. They match!!! And YES 05GTO, you know your shiznit! my tag reads 03 C!!!! Thanks a ton

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.