2nd gear slipping. TH400 - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
2nd gear slipping. TH400

Rebuilt my motor and put everything back in.

Car runs great but I can't shift into 2nd manually. It just revs up. When driving and it shifts by itself, it will go into 2nd but I can feel it still slipping. I replaced oil and filter and module to see if it was that easy, but no luck.

You guys think it is the sprag? It was fine before i pulled the motor. But now just doesn't go into 2nd manually and just slips.

What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
I'm not that versed on TH400's, but something's amiss. Make sure the fluid level is correct, that you don't have any leaks in the vacuum line to the modulator, etc. You might also pull the modulator and examine the bit of fluid that will drain out to see if it looks brown or smells burnt. If that's the case it's a sign of internal problems.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

Fluid is good and new. Vacuum line and modulator are new as well.

If i am in 3rd gear driving and go WOT, it does kick down to 2nd gear and pulls like hell. No slipping. If i am cruising at light speed or coming to a stop and manually shift to 2nd, it does absolutely nothing. Almost goes into neutral.

I do have a squeal noise if i floor it real quick. It happens for a few seconds. Also happens if I am in park with the hood popped and snap the throttle from the carb. Sounds like a belt but can't tell.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
That's a strange one. So it acts like it's going into neutral on upshifts but works fine on downshifts? That makes me suspect a problem in the valve body, servo, piston, hyrdraulic passage, etc that doesn't fully apply the second gear clutch on upshifts. This is a problem for someone who knows way more than I do.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

The opposite of what you said

Up shifts fine, down shifts fine under WOT throttle with the kick down and 2nd gear pulls.

I just can't manually shift into 2nd without it feel like its just slipping. Also, slowing to a light i dont here it downshift into 2nd either.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
So it's only on manual shifts? Sorry for misunderstanding. In that case, if start with the cable adjustment. At the point where the cable connects to the transmission, there's a slotted adjustment point.

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

it will actually shift into that gear but the gear slips.

basically 2nd gear is slipping and not acting properly.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Ashby View Post
Fluid is good and new. Vacuum line and modulator are new as well.

If i am in 3rd gear driving and go WOT, it does kick down to 2nd gear and pulls like hell. No slipping. If i am cruising at light speed or coming to a stop and manually shift to 2nd, it does absolutely nothing. Almost goes into neutral.

I do have a squeal noise if i floor it real quick. It happens for a few seconds. Also happens if I am in park with the hood popped and snap the throttle from the carb. Sounds like a belt but can't tell.
Suggestion to check;

For grins, un-bolt the torque converter from the flex plate and see if it moves back away from the flex plate about 1/2". If it's tight to the flex plate it did not seat into the front pump. That will cause problems and can cause a squealing noise. Just figured since it was working before and now you have a problem, might be the torque converter did not get back in the right slot. Good luck.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Young View Post
Suggestion to check;

For grins, un-bolt the torque converter from the flex plate and see if it moves back away from the flex plate about 1/2". If it's tight to the flex plate it did not seat into the front pump. That will cause problems and can cause a squealing noise. Just figured since it was working before and now you have a problem, might be the torque converter did not get back in the right slot. Good luck.
Once I bolt it to the flex plate, wont it come right back forward again?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Yes, but the idea is that the slots in the torque converter align with the teeth in the pump. You can have the torque converter pushed on top of the gear and that won't turn the pump gear properly.
I'll post a picture of what the pump gear and slot in the torque converter look like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Undercarriage, Frame, Transmission and Differential Discussions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in