3 Speed Manual vs 4 Speed Manual - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
3 Speed Manual vs 4 Speed Manual

I would appreciate hearing any opinions and insight from anyone on the topic of the three speed manual vs the four speed. I have been searching for the right GTO for quite awhile and occasionally (not commonly) I see one equipped with the three speed. I guess I had always thought I would find a car with a four speed, but upon seeing some really nice GTO's with the three speeds, I am wondering if I should be open to checking them out further. I know "back in the day" there was a cost consideration to going with the four speed option, but maybe there were other reasons cars would have been ordered with the three speed other than just cost?? What say you? Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 05:37 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayvee53 View Post
I would appreciate hearing any opinions and insight from anyone on the topic of the three speed manual vs the four speed. I have been searching for the right GTO for quite awhile and occasionally (not commonly) I see one equipped with the three speed. I guess I had always thought I would find a car with a four speed, but upon seeing some really nice GTO's with the three speeds, I am wondering if I should be open to checking them out further. I know "back in the day" there was a cost consideration to going with the four speed option, but maybe there were other reasons cars would have been ordered with the three speed other than just cost?? What say you? Thanks in advance!!
The 3-speed manual was the base transmission on a GTO. The 4-speed & auto were extra cost options.

The HD 3-speed used for a number of years is the Ford Dearborn 3-speed fitted for GM application. It is pretty rugged and will take a lot of abuse. Difference is in the spread of the gears. 4-speed has its advantages and was the manual transmission of choice offering the M-20, M-21, & later the M-22.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I have a 72 with the Heavy Duty Muncie 3 speed.
After having a few cars with 4, 5 and 6 speeds is took some getting used to. Its like driving a 4 speed with first gear missing.

After putting 1000 miles on my current GTO, I kind of like it. I am not racing around and itís a very clean shifting transmission if its adjusted correctly. (Shifter linkage)
There are 2 different 3 speeds, one has a 2.42 first gear and the other has 3.03. the GTOs got the B model with the 2.42. I am starting to like it as I can often just start in second gear or shift from first to third. Even with my low compression 400 its very easy to drive in traffic with a minimum of shifting. If I do want to run through the gears it still has that visceral feeling, all I miss is the gear whine from a M22.

I wouldnít be deterred from buying a car with a 3 speed manual.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your comments! Much appreciated.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Garage
I also have a 400 and a original 3 speed with 3:55 gears. never disappoints in get up in go in any gear.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMTZ67 View Post
I also have a 400 and a original 3 speed with 3:55 gears. never disappoints in get up in go in any gear.
Thanks for your reply as well!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 04:30 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Another thing I'll add: while the 4 speed is preferable to most, the 3 speed Dearborn transmission that came in these cars standard is actually stronger than the 4 speed. And, most, but not all 3 speed cars were not flogged as hard as the 4 speed cars, so they tend to be in better overall condition with their original engines still intact. I have never owned an original engine 4 speed GTO, and I've had a bunch! I have seen many original engine 3 speed cars, however. If I saw a nice 3 speed GTO, I would have no issues with buying it instead of a 4 speed car. Still a lot of fun to drive, and still way cool.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have owned both and the three speed and the four speed both are an identical 1:1 ratio in high gear, so no difference once you get there. The four speed has more jump off the line than the three because of the lower gear ratio. But the main difference for me that is solidly in the four speed's corner is the three speed (on my 64) was not synchro-mesh between 2nd and 1st, which meant I had to come to a nearly complete stop to downshift the car into first gear. With the Muncie four speed there is complete synchro throughout and no gear crunching going back into first gear when rolling up to a red light.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 05:07 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
By '65 the 3 speed was synchonized on every gear, so not an issue in this case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Undercarriage, Frame, Transmission and Differential Discussions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in