LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
sim

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
64 rear axle

hello

rebuilding a 1964 pontiac gto 10bolt rear axle.
i am not sure what color the axle was when it came from the factory. i've seen some complete black, some complete natural and some partially natural and partially black colored
can anyone help me?

simon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 10:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Here are some pictures of an original survivor 64 GTO with 8000 miles. Note: Exhaust has been replaced.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0135.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	47306   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0133.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	47314  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
sim

what i can see on the pictures i would say the axle shaft housings are black and the middle section is natural. am i right?

thanks
simon

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 01:04 PM

Some more pictures. To me it looks like there was black paint on everything and some of the paint came off early or did not stick very well. The last picture shows black paint in certain areas that seemed to survive.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0224.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	47370   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0226.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	47378   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0227.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	47386  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 01:06 PM

Some more pics showing paint runs on the 3.90 axle.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0215.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	47394   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0218.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	47402  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 01:09 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
As Roger knows first hand, the paint on the underside of these cars was originally very hap-hazard and sloppy. Some have more paint than others. Pretty much all of them have thin spots and runs. I even thought that the frames weren't actually painted black, until someone on this forum corrected me. I found the proof when I replaced the rear bumper on my non-restored '65 about 2 years ago.....perfect semi-gloss black paint on the rear frame rails. Virtually all the cars you see restored are grossly over-restored!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ESCALON 176.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	47426   Click image for larger version

Name:	ESCALON 179.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	47434  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
sim

ok, thanks
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 08:58 AM

It is also a 1 year only rear as the pressed in bushings are smaller than the others 6 used on the 4 link set-up from 64 - 72 . I have some new if needed .
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 10:10 PM

clarification please, so from this thread and others I am getting conflicting info. Some say that the axle was unpainted and any paint is over spray from coating the underside of the car. This thread seems like the axle was intentionally, albeit poorly, painted black. Was there any variation from plant to plant? I would like mine to be correct and I am at the point where doing it correctly would require the same effort as muffing it. The above pictures would indicate that the fully assembled axle was painted as there appears to be paint even on the brake lines.

If it were your RESTORATION would you paint it? before or after the axle is assembled? hastily like the above photos indicate or with care to coat it completely?

Sorry I am able to answer most of my own questions with a good internet search but this one is all over the place on the search results
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 08:42 AM

While many are indeed over restored it's easy to understand why. 1 person is deciding the quality of fit and finish on every component. Each gets that person's full attention either by direction to the shop/techs doing the work or from their own hand. Who would intentionally slop the finish on in select places? I have to be honest here, I would when the time comes. 10 yrs ago I did some intentional "quicky" work under a 68 GT 350 conv. I had red oxide underneath on the floors and subrails, when it was time to paint I purposely held the gun in a fashion to get uneven color here and there. As a finish, just as it was when new, I hastily sprayed semi-flat black on the rocker panel pinch welds letting just enough get on the red below as well. In all fairness the car was so intact and unmolested it was just short of a privilege to restore it.

Having worked at a GM gear and axle plant, the black paint was really a short term stop-gap measure. Most of the full housings were stored outdoors and got a healthy amount of surface rust when bare. I never did get to go to the plant where they got painted as I was in the gear manufacturing bldg. So what should you do? 1st, whatever YOU want to see or would direct your workers to do. 2nd, go ahead and paint the whole thing but don't worry about getting it as nice as a fender. That does look fake, overdone. Get a run or 2 where it can be seen if one were to look for it, but perhaps not too evident. If you do go in for high point OEM grade judging they can't knock you for excess quality as long as a run or 2 or 6 are evident, even if you must point it out to the judges.

I agree with the concept that most exponentially exceed OEM standards, but in a sense they almost have to. Would you spend the full value of a car in restoration, only to have it rust and deteriorate just as soon as they did in their heydays? Balance can be achieved during the process, flat clears go a long way, but priming and blocking of frames and mechanical parts should be tempered with an eye toward REAL. I also feel sad for owners of some of the 30s heavy cars with cut and polished frames. They were robbed of their $$$$ in shop rate to do what was never done. Not even on the mighty Duesenberg. Perspective and restraint goes a long way. Embrace the challenge.
Bobbyg likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Undercarriage, Frame, Transmission and Differential Discussions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in