Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
What frame will work for my 67 GTO?
I believe if you do a search in the forums, this has been asked and answered.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
What frame will work for my 67 GTO?
On a budget, any '64-67 Buick, '64-67 Olds, or '64-67 Pontiac A body frame can be used. If you want to replace the frame with the same exact style frame, along with same rear upper spring pockets, you'll want a frame out of a '67 Pontiac Abody or a '67 Buick A body.

Have pulled and sold many many frames, but am still trying to figure out the difference in the 4 door hardtop '66 & 67 A-body frames and the much more common style from 4 door sedans, 2 door posts, and 2 door hardtops. Both style frames are C channel in the middle. I crawled under a '67 LeMans 4 door hardtop partcar in buddies shop in MN two winters ago, trying to figure it out but but nothing stuck out as odd.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 02:14 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
He doesn't say which GTO he has, if it is a convertible the frame on a '67 is boxed.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 09:00 PM

Garage
Looking at a Motor's Crash book, the '66-'67 Tempest gives frame dimensions, but no differences between 4 DR or 2 DR models, so not a lot of help.

Now looking at the '68 Tempest, Lemans, GTO, & Safari frames as a comparison, here is what is found as different.

4Dr HT, 4 Dr Sedan, & Station wagon have longer side rails, 66.19" versus 62.19" for the Coupe, 2 DR HT, & Convertible.

All other dimensions between 4 DR HT, 4 DR Sedan, Coupe, & 2 DR HT are the same.

However, the convertible shares all the same dimensions as the Coupe & 2 DR HT except at the front frame horns. The overall outside width is 41.34" versus 41.30". The kick up just in front of the lower A-arm attachment shows 7.05" versus 7.03" for the others. Of course the conv. has the boxed side rails.

The Station Wagon also has a longer rear frame rail at the rear (as measured from the same body bushing point in my diagram), 74.38" while all other models are 68.18". It also has a slightly lower rear frame height at the bumper, 9.43" while all other models are 10.63".

So it may apply equally to the '66-'67 frames with the only differences between the 4 Dr models and 2 Dr models are the side rails. All other dimensions would be the same, so 4 DR HT & 4 DR Sedan should be the same. With this, it may be very possible to take a 4 DR frame and cut the side rails down to Coupe or 2 Dr HT length and use them. My book does give a side rail dimension of 65.19" for the '66-'67 frames which I assume is probably the Coupe, 2 Dr HT, and convertible.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 09:28 PM

Jim, '66 two door and '66 4 door Sedan frames are the same. There were revisions to all A body frames for '67, but again, two door unboxed frames for Pontiac A bodys are the same as ones used in 4 door Sedans.

My interest in the '66 and '67 4 door hardtop Buick and Pontiac A-body frame mainly stems from not having paid attention when parting one in the early 00's when pulling frames out of parted yard cars. Used to buy quite a few yard cars for solid frames, front lower arms, trinkets, and rearend cores.

Hollander gives the '66 and 67 4 door hardtop frame their own part numbers, and I knew the '66 & 67 4 door hardtop frames weren't boxed like a convert frame, but was assuming there was some form of reinforcement at some point in the center C channel, as the lack of B pillar along with no door frames on the body, should allow a certain amt of twist to the body. That has to be combatted some way. After examining the '67 LeMans 4 door hardtop at my MN buddy's shop and not figuring it out, it just makes me want to run across another 4 door hardtop down this way, part it to the ground, and take a bunch of pics of the frames center C channel. Have a frame stack and have a few early frames can pull out and compare. Nothing but curiosity.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 10:58 AM

Garage
PH: "Jim, '66 two door and '66 4 door Sedan frames are the same. There were revisions to all A body frames for '67, but again, two door unboxed frames for Pontiac A bodys are the same as ones used in 4 door Sedans.

OK, that would explain why my book only had the diagram and all the dimensions given. I kept looking for a missing page, but they were all there. The fullsize cars for '66 - '67 had a diagram with all the specific dimensions and their changes from model to model much like the '68 A-body I listed.

Maybe there really is no difference other than the source of the frame? My book lists 3 different manufacturers/suppliers with regards to front or rear sections of the frame rails.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim View Post
PH.....Maybe there really is no difference other than the source of the frame? My book lists 3 different manufacturers/suppliers with regards to front or rear sections of the frame rails.
No, the '66 and 67 Buick and Pontiac Abody 4 door hardtop used its own specific frame. I just have not been able to note the difference as have not had the opportunity to thoroughly examine the 4 door hardtop frames with body off the frame. Can only note so much laying on your back with a trouble light.

From the Hollander 41st edition

Frame interchange # 1204
Part # 9784511
Buick Special '66 4 Dr H.T.
Tempest '66 4 Dr H.T.

Frame interchange # 1309
part # 9786305
Buick Special '67 4 Dr H.T.
Tempest '67 4 Dr H.T.

A few points to ponder:

-would a '67 door H.T Buick/Pontiac A-body frame bolt up under a '67 GTO...sure it would.

-would a '67 GTO equipped with turbo 400, would its crossmember bolt up directly...no, there will have to be mods.
-ordering 3/8" reproduction fuel line and main brake line for said '67 GTO hardtop, will the repro 2 door hardtop/ Post lines fit perfectly with the 4 door hardtop frame....that's a good question and my major concern if have such a frame in my stack and I have an interested buyer.

All the above are concerns, and whether one sources a frame as an individual, or sources them as I do as a vendor/seller/restorer, need to know what am up against... have to get it right the first time with no surprises.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 06:11 PM

Garage
Here is another thought I had, not knowing the answer. Might the 4 DR HT have an additional frame mount OR rubber support somewhere near its middle like the convertible to provide added? Is it possibly a re-design that adds a frame-to-body support directly under the center door post to prevent sagging - maybe a lesson learned on the '66 frames?

I wonder if one of the Flat Rate books would shed any light. I have a couple that I believe covers those years and they have part numbers. I may have to dig them out and check.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 04:51 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion head View Post
No, the '66 and 67 Buick and Pontiac Abody 4 door hardtop used its own specific frame. I just have not been able to note the difference as have not had the opportunity to thoroughly examine the 4 door hardtop frames with body off the frame. Can only note so much laying on your back with a trouble light.

From the Hollander 41st edition

Frame interchange # 1204
Part # 9784511
Buick Special '66 4 Dr H.T.
Tempest '66 4 Dr H.T.

Frame interchange # 1309
part # 9786305
Buick Special '67 4 Dr H.T.
Tempest '67 4 Dr H.T.

A few points to ponder:

-would a '67 door H.T Buick/Pontiac A-body frame bolt up under a '67 GTO...sure it would.

-would a '67 GTO equipped with turbo 400, would its crossmember bolt up directly...no, there will have to be mods.
-ordering 3/8" reproduction fuel line and main brake line for said '67 GTO hardtop, will the repro 2 door hardtop/ Post lines fit perfectly with the 4 door hardtop frame....that's a good question and my major concern if have such a frame in my stack and I have an interested buyer.

All the above are concerns, and whether one sources a frame as an individual, or sources them as I do as a vendor/seller/restorer, need to know what am up against... have to get it right the first time with no surprises.
Hey Pinion head,

Are you anywhere near El Paso that you could look at a 1967 Skylark 4 door hardtop?

Thanks! boway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Undercarriage, Frame, Transmission and Differential Discussions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in