67 gto wants overdrive, gear vendor or modern transmission - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
 
fiesta62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: sydney, australia
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
67 gto wants overdrive, gear vendor or modern transmission

hi, i have a 67 gto with 3 speed t400 and 3.55 diff, all is fine but it does rev high when driving around town, and uses a fair bit of petrol too, petrol is not a big concern i dont drive it much, but when i do drive it would be much better if it cruised at lower revs, i have read about the gear vendor overdrive, and also a bit about more modern transmissions, i dont want to chop up the car to fit a trans, but if one can be fitted with minor mods that might be interesting, has anyone any ideas on trans or gear vendor overdrives, thanks
GoatSilver likes this.
fiesta62 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 07:42 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 4,703
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
a 200r4 will fit with only a minor movement of your transmission cross member....this would be the easiest solution for you!



Eric Animal is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 06:33 PM
64-67 Expert
 
geeteeohguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fresno, California
Posts: 8,558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
In spite of what's said, Gear Vendor's requires floorpan mods to fit. That, and it's kind of clunky/truck like in shifting in and out of OD. Very, very strong, though. I agree with Eric: a modified/upgraded modern OD trans....probably a 200R4, as it is basically a bolt in deal.
66 Giddie up Goat likes this.
geeteeohguy is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 10:31 AM
Former Moderator
 
ALKYGTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Wentzville, Mo.
Posts: 2,893
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Contact these guys for an overdrive. I believe a 4L60E will fit your needs and Monster tests all their transmissions for 100 miles and they come complete with the converter already installed. It uses a stand alone computer for control so you don't use a kickdown cable like a 200R4 or 700R4 and they are good to 600+ hp.

Welcome to Monster Transmission | We Build More Than Transmissions, We Build Relationships
ALKYGTO is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
 
fiesta62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: sydney, australia
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
In spite of what's said, Gear Vendor's requires floorpan mods to fit. That, and it's kind of clunky/truck like in shifting in and out of OD. Very, very strong, though. I agree with Eric: a modified/upgraded modern OD trans....probably a 200R4, as it is basically a bolt in deal.
hmmm not keen on messing with car so floorpan mod puts me off, i might look into the 4l60e some say its the go....probably end up leaving car as is but if i really could find a perfect solution without issues it would be tempting...
fiesta62 is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
 
fiesta62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: sydney, australia
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
after lots of reading today i am now really confused, so many different opinions, the 200r4 seems very popular if built strong by someone who knows the box.....but then the electronic ones like 4l60e might be the go as they can be controlled better, or 4l80e, bugger too many options, i was leaning towards the gearvendor but now more towards the 200r4, but like the electronic box if it fits correctly, i'm going to email a few sellers and see whats on offer...
fiesta62 is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator
 
BearGFR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Springtown, TX
Posts: 5,742
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Be careful of "marketing hype". Just about every OD solution is going to require at least some amount of modification to the floor pan and/or crossmember to fit, some more than others. The Gear Vendors unit is bullet-proof strong. You didn't mention anything about your engine combination, how much power/torque you're making, etc and that has a significant impact on what will "live" behind it. Yes, it's possible to build one of the "smaller" transmissions (700r4, 2004r) so it'll survive behind a strong Pontiac, but it's not easy/cheap --- and not everyone actually knows how to do it. Getting the job done right adds to the cost, of course. I'd recommend trying to find and talk with people who have cars similar to yours and who've actually added OD to their cars to find out what their real experience has been. That's a little more difficult and takes more time, but is worth the effort in the long run. Hitting all the "big" Pontiac forums and asking is a good start. Places like here, Pontiac Street Performance, Performance Years, Pontiac Zone... That approach can have its pitfalls too, on the larger forums you can run into folks who have "strong opinions" but little or no actual experience so you have to learn how to separate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak. No matter what anywone says, don't start down any particular road unless it makes logical sense to you.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
BearGFR is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 10:32 AM
64-67 Expert
 
geeteeohguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fresno, California
Posts: 8,558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
fiesta, seriously, the cheapest and easiest solution for you by far is to simply remove your rear end assembly (very easy job) and bolt in a rear end with a 3.08 or a 3.23 gear ratio. Entire, decent 3.08-3.23 8.2 ten bolt GTO rear ends can be had in the States for less than $500 if you shop around. Totally easy, totally reversible, NO mods. I pulled the original 3.36 rear end out of my '67 GTO 3-4 years ago and replaced it with a 2.56 rear end that was given to me. An afternoon job. I love it: the car now gets over 20MPG at 75-80mph, is quiet, and much more pleasurable to drive. So, if it were me, I'd mothball the 3.55 you have and find a 3.23-3.08 and bolt it in.
geeteeohguy is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
 
fiesta62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: sydney, australia
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearGFR View Post
Be careful of "marketing hype". Just about every OD solution is going to require at least some amount of modification to the floor pan and/or crossmember to fit, some more than others. The Gear Vendors unit is bullet-proof strong. You didn't mention anything about your engine combination, how much power/torque you're making, etc and that has a significant impact on what will "live" behind it. Yes, it's possible to build one of the "smaller" transmissions (700r4, 2004r) so it'll survive behind a strong Pontiac, but it's not easy/cheap --- and not everyone actually knows how to do it. Getting the job done right adds to the cost, of course. I'd recommend trying to find and talk with people who have cars similar to yours and who've actually added OD to their cars to find out what their real experience has been. That's a little more difficult and takes more time, but is worth the effort in the long run. Hitting all the "big" Pontiac forums and asking is a good start. Places like here, Pontiac Street Performance, Performance Years, Pontiac Zone... That approach can have its pitfalls too, on the larger forums you can run into folks who have "strong opinions" but little or no actual experience so you have to learn how to separate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak. No matter what anywone says, don't start down any particular road unless it makes logical sense to you.

Bear
hi bear....i have learnt with all the things i have done on car that many dont work out as advertized so i hear you, have not looked at pontiac street performance forum, overdrive would be nice but its not critical car is ok with 355, but i figure if i can overdrive it correctly with zero issues and it all works as expected then i would seriously consider it, also i dont want to mess with floor pan or any nasty mods, a beefed up 200r4 from possibly art carr sounds interesting he gave me all the info on parts needed for the tv cable, but still i'm not sure about it many have problems with the setup.....308 rear hmmm maybe ....
fiesta62 is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
 
fiesta62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: sydney, australia
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
fiesta, seriously, the cheapest and easiest solution for you by far is to simply remove your rear end assembly (very easy job) and bolt in a rear end with a 3.08 or a 3.23 gear ratio. Entire, decent 3.08-3.23 8.2 ten bolt GTO rear ends can be had in the States for less than $500 if you shop around. Totally easy, totally reversible, NO mods. I pulled the original 3.36 rear end out of my '67 GTO 3-4 years ago and replaced it with a 2.56 rear end that was given to me. An afternoon job. I love it: the car now gets over 20MPG at 75-80mph, is quiet, and much more pleasurable to drive. So, if it were me, I'd mothball the 3.55 you have and find a 3.23-3.08 and bolt it in.
gidday gt, yes my friend here who helps me thru the maze also suggested go a 308 chevy 12 bolt....i might just reconsider this option, really car is fine with 355 but now i have the pypes 2.5 inch system its a little louder in cabin, not bad but when car is cruising with revs up it just feel like i need another gear, really with the short drives i do i shouldnt worry but i'm the perfectionist so maybe a 308 rear, i will give it some more thought, obviously am concearned about off the line acceleration i'm not drag racing but i like a bit of fun now and then, do u think i would notice a big drop in acceleration from the 355 to 308 ....i already have 275/60/15 rear tires 28 inch tall i think, i didnt notiice any loss in acceleration when i put on taller tires, but 355 to 308 ?...thanks
fiesta62 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Undercarriage, Frame, Transmission and Differential Discussions.

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cheap overdrive swap? Orion88 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion 4 01-14-2014 09:59 PM
What would the modern tire size be for 70 gto? skapegoat 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Technical and Electrical Wiring 1 11-02-2010 09:17 AM
Cheapest way to get overdrive xconcepts 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Technical and Electrical Wiring 68 08-31-2010 04:19 PM
overdrive danthepontiacman 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Technical and Electrical Wiring 0 04-22-2010 02:50 PM
Automakers in overdrive 05GTO In the News 0 01-07-2005 05:56 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome