67 transmission cooler lines - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
67 transmission cooler lines

Hey all, first time posting here! So I have a 66 Tempest with a 68 400 and th400 tranny. I ordered new cooler lines for a 67 gto with a th400 but just wondering which line goes to which fittings on tranny and radiator? The lines that were in the car were cobbled so I just want to make sure I install these correctly. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Try these. These are from my 67 with a th400 and stock radiator. All pictures are taken from the passenger side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1661.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	107689   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1665.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	107697   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1664.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	107705   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1663.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	107713   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1662.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	107721  

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm replacing the transmission cooler lines in my '67 GTO with turbo 400 trans. I got the lower one off no problem. How in the heck do you get to the top one? I can get a shorter 1/2" wrench on it, with the backing wrench, but I can't get any swing to break the nut. I don't have any line wrenches or crow's feet wrenches. Can it be removed with the transmission in place? I may just cut it to get a socket on it, but I'm still not sure how I'm going to get the new one on snug enough. I'll keep researching. Any advice would be appreciated. Now my keyboard is all dirty!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 07:30 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilton8r View Post
I'm replacing the transmission cooler lines in my '67 GTO with turbo 400 trans. I got the lower one off no problem. How in the heck do you get to the top one? I can get a shorter 1/2" wrench on it, with the backing wrench, but I can't get any swing to break the nut. I don't have any line wrenches or crow's feet wrenches. Can it be removed with the transmission in place? I may just cut it to get a socket on it, but I'm still not sure how I'm going to get the new one on snug enough. I'll keep researching. Any advice would be appreciated. Now my keyboard is all dirty!

Maybe pull the dipstick tube? The bolt holds the bracket and there is an O-ring that fits around the tube and seals it as it is inserted into the trans.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
I use a crowfoot line wrench, a crowfoot flarenut wrench or a straight crowfoot....best one is the crowfoot line wrench, just use it with a ratchet and small extension, it will go on then. Do not overtighten those, you can easily crack the transmission case. Be a little lighter than normal, and it should be ok. Mine have mo leaks.

Probably a torque spec on it, I just donít recall it. With the crowfoot you can torque it....

Stay with it you will get it!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans guy View Post
I use a crowfoot line wrench, a crowfoot flarenut wrench or a straight crowfoot....best one is the crowfoot line wrench, just use it with a ratchet and small extension, it will go on then. Do not overtighten those, you can easily crack the transmission case. Be a little lighter than normal, and it should be ok. Mine have mo leaks.

Probably a torque spec on it, I just donít recall it. With the crowfoot you can torque it....

Stay with it you will get it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim View Post
Maybe pull the dipstick tube? The bolt holds the bracket and there is an O-ring that fits around the tube and seals it as it is inserted into the trans.
I thought about removing the dipstick tube. I wound up cutting the line, and removing with a socket. I was able to get the new line reattached using a much shorter wrench. I couldn't snug it up too tight if I wanted to with no room or swing... Hopefully mine won't leak either. If it does, I'll invest in some better wrenches for sure!

John
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
slide a 12 point box end wrench all the way down the line from the radiator end

workss great then hook it up to the radiator
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK69JUDGE View Post
slide a 12 point box end wrench all the way down the line from the radiator end

workss great then hook it up to the radiator
I did try that initially because the threaded end on the radiator side was missing from one of the lines. The wrench was too long for me to get it to where it needed to be. I'm sure that would have been perfect if I had tried it with a shorter wrench...

Last edited by hilton8r; 07-03-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Undercarriage, Frame, Transmission and Differential Discussions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in