68 GTO Clutch Return Spring Bracket - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
68 GTO Clutch Return Spring Bracket

I had to replace the bracket for the Z bar that bolts to the frame and in the process took the return spring out. After trying to put it back in I can't figure out where it was hooked on the other end, I know where it hooks on the Z bar.

The service manual shows a bracket that I can't seem to find. What I can find are a couple holes in the frame in the area that I think the bracket should be. I'm thinking there is no bracket and maybe they just hooked the spring into the bolt hole.

I'm trying to get this put back together the right way and was wondering if anyone had pictures of what this bracket looks like. OPGI shows one but it's not as I would imagine and I've also seen that same picture for 64-67 so maybe they're just using wrong picture.

Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 08:19 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Doing a search in our forums, it seems you are not alone -including myself on this one. Apparently there is supposed to be a frame bracket which the spring attaches to. Seems many don't have the bracket, but the holes in the frame are there. My '68 Lemans is a factory 3-speed manual and I presently have it torn down, frame out, and it did not have the bracket. As I recall, I think the spring was inserted into one of those holes as you mentioned, but I can't confirm it because it wasn't something I even took note of when I pulled all the clutch parts off. I am starting to think that some cars left the factory without them or they simply put the spring in the frame hole -which I vaguely recall was done with my car.

It would appear your options would be to form a piece of flat stock metal that would work. Make a cardboard template to get the shape & match the frame holes as you want it. Then use the template to create a metal tab that'll work. Otherwise, if one of the frame holes will work in a pinch.....
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 10:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Starting in 1969 the part the return spring attaches to is the backdrive's "Cross Drive Bracket." This bracket is available from Inline Tube (P/N: INL11099. @ $16.50). If you're somewhat desperate, you could use the '69 and up bracket...

From '64 to '67 GM's A-Bodies used a "Z Bar Spring Bracket" that was welded onto the frame (available from Inline Tube, P/N: INL12901. @ $12.00). It MIGHT be possible to drill the necessary mounting holes into the '64 through '67 Bracket and bolt it onto your '68 frame -- at least it would look "factory" ...

"Honest Honey, it just kinda followed me home, can I keep it?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Undercarriage, Frame, Transmission and Differential Discussions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in