User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
70 GTO Transmission damaged and leak

Hello everyone,

First I wanna start and say when I got the car from my uncle it wasn't running. I had to change couple of stuff for the car is running. Also I found out that oem transmission filler tube is bend and leaking bad. There are two types of seals, o-ring and a rubber sleeve type seal depend on your filler tube style I guess. My TH350 filler tube had the rubber sleeve . I ordered the rubber sleeve online and bought Mr. Gasket. Filler tube Found out it has the o-ring. The Mr. Gasket tube tip is thicker then oem that's why it has O-ring and oem skinny and have rubber sleeve. To make the story short I installed the Mr.gasket with O-ring. Filed the transmission fluid car ran once I turned it off and let it set fluid started leaking I think from the dipstick. Is it because it's cheap brand and O-ring isn't sealing well? Should I switch to the rubber sleeve kind? Should I keep it and add ultra grey gasket maker and let it dry over night?

Or should I buy this dipstick?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tci-743860/overview/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	49690  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Picture of the leak and also the link a video of it :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t1xiay17lx...%20PM.mov?dl=0
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	52
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	49698  
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 04:24 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Could be you might have damaged the o-ring during the install?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukee View Post
Could be you might have damaged the o-ring during the install?
So should I just use the ultra grey gasket maker around the end of the dipstick around the o-ring?
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	47
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	49706  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 07:19 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Stallion View Post
So should I just use the ultra grey gasket maker around the end of the dipstick around the o-ring?
Get a new rubber O-ring at your local parts store like NAPA, they should have no problem matching it up. Could also go to a trans shop as they should be able to help with an O-ring as well. You can get O-rings in differing sizes/thicknesses so if the one you had was actually too small, you can get a larger one. Sometimes you can purchase an O-ring kit in a box that has assorted sizes if worse comes to worse.

You don't want to use any sealant as you don't want any of it floating around in your trans should some of it get below the O-ring and flake off.

Always put some trans fluid on the O-ring to act as a lubricant prior to installation. Also make sure it gets pushed in deep enough to seat it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Undercarriage, Frame, Transmission and Differential Discussions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in