Bad news rear end - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

 7Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
 
denrael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Cowley County, Kansas
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Bad news rear end

The photos below show what I found when I opened up the diff on the '67 that I took delivery of just last week. After hearing a "CLANK" emanating from the rear for about the 3rd time in the 50 or so miles I've driven the car, I thought it might be prudent to do some investigation. Oh man! Between this and the disintegrated RF brake shoe (sticking wheel cylinder), I think it's time I had a talk with the seller... I'm wondering what other disasters are waiting to happen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Diff 01.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	109954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Diff 02.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	306.7 KB
ID:	109962   Click image for larger version

Name:	Diff 03.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	272.7 KB
ID:	109970  
denrael is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 04:21 PM
 
GTOJUNIOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: VIRGINIA
Posts: 612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Garage
Holly crap you better check every fastener on the car after finding that mess.
Best of luck.

Cheers

GTO Jr. - A.K.A. SPRINT 6
GTOJUNIOR is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 04:30 PM
Former Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Lake Arrowhead, Ca.
Posts: 1,499
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Ouch!
I moved your thread and added a descriptor so the rear end guys will see your post.
Good luck, my parts matching turnkey '67 GTO was actually turnkey 3 years after I bought it.
JNYBOY and denrael like this.
Goat Roper is offline  
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 06:55 PM
 
PontiacJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Posts: 3,712
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Garage
A little scary. Right brake worn? I can't tell from the pics if you have posi or not, but if you don't, I would suspect that the previous owner was having a little fun and locking the brakes to keep one side from spinning and smoking the heck out of the other tire.............not that I would ever do something like that.

Hopefully nothing was damaged or gears chipped and it'll be a simple fix and it'll be on the road.
PontiacJim is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
 
denrael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Cowley County, Kansas
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOJUNIOR View Post
Holly crap you better check every fastener on the car after finding that mess.
Best of luck.

Cheers
You're absolutely correct... hard at it as we speak.
denrael is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
 
denrael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Cowley County, Kansas
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Roper View Post
Ouch!
I moved your thread and added a descriptor so the rear end guys will see your post.
Good luck, my parts matching turnkey '67 GTO was actually turnkey 3 years after I bought it.
Thanks... I totally missed this sub-forum when I took a quick look. I'll get better as we go along.

I hear ya on the 3 year thing. If only this car was half as good mechanically as it is cosmetically...
denrael is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
 
denrael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Cowley County, Kansas
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim View Post
A little scary. Right brake worn? I can't tell from the pics if you have posi or not, but if you don't, I would suspect that the previous owner was having a little fun and locking the brakes to keep one side from spinning and smoking the heck out of the other tire.............not that I would ever do something like that.

Hopefully nothing was damaged or gears chipped and it'll be a simple fix and it'll be on the road.
Naah... the brake was a completely unrelated failure. Either the wheel cylinder was sticking or the flex hose was collapsed and trapping pressure. In either case, the RF was intermittently dragging heavily enough that it cooked big chunks of lining off the shoe. I suspect the shoes weren't exactly top notch pieces to start with.

Glad you brought up the posi... yes, it does. But I don't know what type, I'm not that familiar with all the various types of limited-slip units. Here's a photo that shows the cage... anyone care to hazard a guess as to type? I need to know what the recommended lubricant is, before I put it back together. (I'm satisfied I've found all the errant pieces and there is no real damage to the gearset, so it's just clean up the mess and put in new bolts - properly TORQUED!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	diff 04.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	250.0 KB
ID:	110034   Click image for larger version

Name:	brake 1.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	110042  
denrael is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 07:53 PM
Former Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Lake Arrowhead, Ca.
Posts: 1,499
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
That was my goat paint and livery done and the good thing was mechanically it was all original and untouched the bad thing was it was all original and untouched.


Make sure you flush that rear end out well and use brake clean on the threads before installing the new bolts and torque them to spec.
1968gto421 likes this.
Goat Roper is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 07:53 PM
 
PontiacJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Posts: 3,712
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by denrael View Post
Naah... the brake was a completely unrelated failure. Either the wheel cylinder was sticking or the flex hose was collapsed and trapping pressure. In either case, the RF was intermittently dragging heavily enough that it cooked big chunks of lining off the shoe. I suspect the shoes weren't exactly top notch pieces to start with.

Glad you brought up the posi... yes, it does. But I don't know what type, I'm not that familiar with all the various types of limited-slip units. Here's a photo that shows the cage... anyone care to hazard a guess as to type? I need to know what the recommended lubricant is, before I put it back together. (I'm satisfied I've found all the errant pieces and there is no real damage to the gearset, so it's just clean up the mess and put in new bolts - properly TORQUED!)
Ah, ok on the known wheel problem, and not "burning outs."

I strongly suggest you either send a Personal Message to member Pinion head or just wait a bit for him to read your post as he is the expert/rebuilder of Pontiac & other GM rear-end assemblies. He will tell you what to use for oils and ID that posi for you and what to look for.
denrael likes this.
PontiacJim is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
 
denrael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Cowley County, Kansas
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim View Post
Ah, ok on the known wheel problem, and not "burning outs."

I strongly suggest you either send a Personal Message to member Pinion head or just wait a bit for him to read your post as he is the expert/rebuilder of Pontiac & other GM rear-end assemblies. He will tell you what to use for oils and ID that posi for you and what to look for.
Unfortunately, his message box is full, won't accept any new correspondence.

denrael is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Undercarriage, Frame, Transmission and Differential Discussions.

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bad news.... rextheracer 2004-2006 GTO General Discussion 10 06-15-2009 05:10 PM
Good News, bad news... PwrGTOGuy 2004-2006 GTO General Discussion 0 03-03-2007 10:01 PM
Really bad news kanibal Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes. 5 02-01-2007 10:32 PM
good news and bad news dustyminpin 2004-2006 GTO General Discussion 1 10-25-2006 08:21 PM
Good News, Bad News. GTO Gone Again gtotgo 2004-2006 GTO General Discussion 4 03-22-2006 05:15 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome