User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Bad news rear end

The photos below show what I found when I opened up the diff on the '67 that I took delivery of just last week. After hearing a "CLANK" emanating from the rear for about the 3rd time in the 50 or so miles I've driven the car, I thought it might be prudent to do some investigation. Oh man! Between this and the disintegrated RF brake shoe (sticking wheel cylinder), I think it's time I had a talk with the seller... I'm wondering what other disasters are waiting to happen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Diff 01.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	109954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Diff 02.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	306.7 KB
ID:	109962   Click image for larger version

Name:	Diff 03.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	272.7 KB
ID:	109970  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Garage
Holly crap you better check every fastener on the car after finding that mess.
Best of luck.

Cheers

GTO Jr. - A.K.A. SPRINT 6
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 04:30 PM
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Ouch!
I moved your thread and added a descriptor so the rear end guys will see your post.
Good luck, my parts matching turnkey '67 GTO was actually turnkey 3 years after I bought it.
JNYBOY and denrael like this.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 06:55 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Garage
A little scary. Right brake worn? I can't tell from the pics if you have posi or not, but if you don't, I would suspect that the previous owner was having a little fun and locking the brakes to keep one side from spinning and smoking the heck out of the other tire.............not that I would ever do something like that.

Hopefully nothing was damaged or gears chipped and it'll be a simple fix and it'll be on the road.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOJUNIOR View Post
Holly crap you better check every fastener on the car after finding that mess.
Best of luck.

Cheers
You're absolutely correct... hard at it as we speak.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Roper View Post
Ouch!
I moved your thread and added a descriptor so the rear end guys will see your post.
Good luck, my parts matching turnkey '67 GTO was actually turnkey 3 years after I bought it.
Thanks... I totally missed this sub-forum when I took a quick look. I'll get better as we go along.

I hear ya on the 3 year thing. If only this car was half as good mechanically as it is cosmetically...
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim View Post
A little scary. Right brake worn? I can't tell from the pics if you have posi or not, but if you don't, I would suspect that the previous owner was having a little fun and locking the brakes to keep one side from spinning and smoking the heck out of the other tire.............not that I would ever do something like that.

Hopefully nothing was damaged or gears chipped and it'll be a simple fix and it'll be on the road.
Naah... the brake was a completely unrelated failure. Either the wheel cylinder was sticking or the flex hose was collapsed and trapping pressure. In either case, the RF was intermittently dragging heavily enough that it cooked big chunks of lining off the shoe. I suspect the shoes weren't exactly top notch pieces to start with.

Glad you brought up the posi... yes, it does. But I don't know what type, I'm not that familiar with all the various types of limited-slip units. Here's a photo that shows the cage... anyone care to hazard a guess as to type? I need to know what the recommended lubricant is, before I put it back together. (I'm satisfied I've found all the errant pieces and there is no real damage to the gearset, so it's just clean up the mess and put in new bolts - properly TORQUED!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	diff 04.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	250.0 KB
ID:	110034   Click image for larger version

Name:	brake 1.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	110042  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 07:53 PM
Former Moderator

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
That was my goat paint and livery done and the good thing was mechanically it was all original and untouched the bad thing was it was all original and untouched.

Make sure you flush that rear end out well and use brake clean on the threads before installing the new bolts and torque them to spec.
1968gto421 likes this.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 07:53 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by denrael View Post
Naah... the brake was a completely unrelated failure. Either the wheel cylinder was sticking or the flex hose was collapsed and trapping pressure. In either case, the RF was intermittently dragging heavily enough that it cooked big chunks of lining off the shoe. I suspect the shoes weren't exactly top notch pieces to start with.

Glad you brought up the posi... yes, it does. But I don't know what type, I'm not that familiar with all the various types of limited-slip units. Here's a photo that shows the cage... anyone care to hazard a guess as to type? I need to know what the recommended lubricant is, before I put it back together. (I'm satisfied I've found all the errant pieces and there is no real damage to the gearset, so it's just clean up the mess and put in new bolts - properly TORQUED!)
Ah, ok on the known wheel problem, and not "burning outs."

I strongly suggest you either send a Personal Message to member Pinion head or just wait a bit for him to read your post as he is the expert/rebuilder of Pontiac & other GM rear-end assemblies. He will tell you what to use for oils and ID that posi for you and what to look for.
denrael likes this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim View Post
Ah, ok on the known wheel problem, and not "burning outs."

I strongly suggest you either send a Personal Message to member Pinion head or just wait a bit for him to read your post as he is the expert/rebuilder of Pontiac & other GM rear-end assemblies. He will tell you what to use for oils and ID that posi for you and what to look for.
Unfortunately, his message box is full, won't accept any new correspondence.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Undercarriage, Frame, Transmission and Differential Discussions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in