LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Josh.AZ.GTO
Body off frame Question (Jack Height)

I am planning on removing the body from the frame by lifting the car up (most jacks I have found reach 18" to 20") and then lowering the frame.

For all of you who have done it this way. If I raise the car up 20" and then brace the body with jack stands and remove all the wheels and lower the drum brakes down to rest on wheel dollies (for movement ease) if the motor and trans are removed will I have enough clearance to roll the frame out?

I have been using a smaller floor jack and to do this I am going to buy a newer one for security and height reach. What height is needed to do a body/frame seperation from a floor jack.

JOSHUA
1970 GTO 455HO Cardinal Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First off, I took everything off of the frame and body before I split em up. So, all I had left was a empty body shell and bare frame. I did this so it would be as light as possible. I borrowed four jackstands from my bro-in-law who builds big Jeeps and 4x4's to hold the body up, they were over three feet tall when extended and heavy duty. I dropped the frame straight down to repair the body mount areas, then stripped the crap off with a wire wheel and some sanding discs on a DA. I undercoated the body and painted the frame with POR-15, then bolted the frame and body back together. The frame never left the shadow of the body.

1969 GTO
NUMBERS MATCHING
PAWN SHOP FIND
1947 MGTC
GRANDFATHER STARTED
RESTORATION IN 1980...

"You can have it all, my emipre of dirt. I will let you down, I will make you hurt"
NIN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Undercarriage, Frame, Transmission and Differential Discussions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in