Can a rear axle be as far as 2 inches off to one side? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can a rear axle be as far as 2 inches off to one side?

I have a 1966 Tempest, very bare bones car. There is absolutely no indication of any accident damage or any evidence the axle has been altered.

I was doing the old school alignment trick of a string along the side from the rear tires to the front tires and i noticed a 1 1/2 inch to 2 inch difference.

The passenger side string ran parallel with the front tires and barely touched the front sidewalls

The string on the driver's side sat out almost 2 inches from the sidewall of the tire.

I noticed the clearance is a lot closer on the drivers side rear tire to the fender than it is to the passenger. Was GMs quality control off that bad back then that a 1 to 2 inch deviation would have been okayed by quality control?

I'm stumped, hate to have to have axle rewelded..........insert head scratching hereconfused:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 08:37 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Garage
Should be even. First thought, control arm bushings as they do wear out and get sloppy. Control arm could be bent, like when someone hits a curb real hard. Check to make sure the coils appear straight, might have one that is a bit sideways and perhaps not correctly seated in the frame pocket.

To make it easy, I would bring the car to an alignment shop and let them put it up on the lift. Might be able to spot the problem right off the bat.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 04:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim View Post
Should be even. First thought, control arm bushings as they do wear out and get sloppy. Control arm could be bent, like when someone hits a curb real hard. Check to make sure the coils appear straight, might have one that is a bit sideways and perhaps not correctly seated in the frame pocket.

To make it easy, I would bring the car to an alignment shop and let them put it up on the lift. Might be able to spot the problem right off the bat.
Thanks Jim.....maybe they can find it .....save me some headache

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 07:32 AM

Not trying to create extra worry, but look at the rocker panel to frame relationship too. It's probably a bent arm or 2 as Jim said but looking there is free. Worn bushings can "take a seat" in an off position and seem tight as well. Last but not least, push the whole car sideways and look at the distance to the rear tires as you do. Like from he bumper, bounce it pretty hard and see how much slop there is. You might be surprised at how far it moves.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666bbl View Post
Not trying to create extra worry, but look at the rocker panel to frame relationship too. It's probably a bent arm or 2 as Jim said but looking there is free. Worn bushings can "take a seat" in an off position and seem tight as well. Last but not least, push the whole car sideways and look at the distance to the rear tires as you do. Like from he bumper, bounce it pretty hard and see how much slop there is. You might be surprised at how far it moves.
Will do......I know it needs new bushings on both front and rear it's just the rear axle being off to the side that kind of baffles me.

I had a set of 235/60/15s on the rear and the one on the driver side rubbed on the fender well edge. The passenger side had more room and didn't rub.

This is a low buck build and I was trying to save a few bucks from alignment until I got the bushings done myself. I thought I could do the old skool drag race alignment just to buy some time. Looks like the bushings have moved up the ladder now on priorities.

Thanks for the suggestions........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Undercarriage, Frame, Transmission and Differential Discussions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in