Can someone help me ID this Transmission - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Can someone help me ID this Transmission

I am having a really hard time figuring out what this transmission is.

It come off a 64 Bonneville.

I think it is a Hydra-Matic 315 transmission. But Someone told me it is a GM Roto Hydramatic transmission.

I know I know, The bell housing is smashed. The guy I got it from could not separate it. So he smashed it with a hammer. He still did not separate it. I got it like this.

Anyway if anyone knows what it is I would appreciate it. He told me it was a heavy duty transmission and people liked them for ls2 conversions because they handled torque real well. But 3 of the 4 things he told me were a lie so I duno
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4398.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	621.3 KB
ID:	102305   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4416.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	869.3 KB
ID:	102313   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4417.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	879.3 KB
ID:	102321   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4418.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	856.5 KB
ID:	102329   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4396.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	807.1 KB
ID:	102337  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Oh the tag on it is not legible. and there are no cast numbers on it that I can see.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 09:43 AM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyskala View Post
I am having a really hard time figuring out what this transmission is.

It come off a 64 Bonneville.

I think it is a Hydra-Matic 315 transmission. But Someone told me it is a GM Roto Hydramatic transmission.

I know I know, The bell housing is smashed. The guy I got it from could not separate it. So he smashed it with a hammer. He still did not separate it. I got it like this.

Anyway if anyone knows what it is I would appreciate it. He told me it was a heavy duty transmission and people liked them for ls2 conversions because they handled torque real well. But 3 of the 4 things he told me were a lie so I duno
Yep, looks like the older 1964 and under Hydramatic. Has the 2-piece torque converter/ring gear. They were the common trans in GM cars. My first car, '56 Pontiac, had the Dual-Range Hydramatic and these were 4-speeds with a 1:1 4th gear. Made the cars very fast even though smaller cubic inch engines (316CI for the '56 Pontiac). Very heavy as they were cast iron. Pulled mine out to install a factory 3-speed/column shift from a donor car. It was fun but the trans was weak and started to give problems and then the clutch linkage finally gave up one day. So back in went the Hydramatic. Then it developed a leak/crack in the torque converter shell and a trans shop welded it up for me and I was good to go.

The Hydramatic was a popular trans with drag racers and B&M was one of the name brands who built them them for the drags. I had one, but never got to use it.

Check out this website as you can click on the transmission types and then take a look at the exploded parts as well. The Hydramatic, Jetaway 315, and the Roto-Hydramatic (known as the "Slim Jim"). The "Slim Jim" from all accounts I have heard was junk and did not hold up well to hi-horsepower or abuse. The pan is kinda odd looking and is different from yours, so it does not appear to be the Roto-Hydramatic. Click on this link: Early GM Transmissions

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

That was extremely helpful. A million thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Undercarriage, Frame, Transmission and Differential Discussions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in