User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Centering Body on Frame

I had 4 people in my 67 GTO the other day and the tire was rubbing on the passenger side rear.
I haven't taken a measurement but on the driver's side I can stick my hand between the fender and the tire up to my palm, on the passenger side I can barely get my fingers in there.
The car has no repairs or bondo in either fender is there a way to center the body so I have the same distance on each side?
I thought it was the trailing arms since the bushings were worn and one was slightly bent but after replacing them nothing changed.
Any ideas on how to fix this would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I'm not sure what you have for rims but are you sure both have the same offset?

As far as the "centered on the frame" question, you should be able to measure from the outside frame rail at the rear to the quarter panel and then at the cowl to the frame. A comparison of measurements side to side should tell you how the body is sitting.

Good luck.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Former Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al T View Post
I'm not sure what you have for rims but are you sure both have the same offset?

As far as the "centered on the frame" question, you should be able to measure from the outside frame rail at the rear to the quarter panel and then at the cowl to the frame. A comparison of measurements side to side should tell you how the body is sitting.

Good luck.
Thanks for the input, I will pull the wheels and check the offset but they appear to be a matching set.
I will also take the measurements you suggested and post the results.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Former Moderator

Well the measurement is 8 3/4 on the money both sides from frame to fender, the offset the same on the wheels and off of a level on the edge center of fender to the first body line on the top is 1 5/8 both sides so the fender isn't bowed in.
From the tire to inside fender is 5/16 ths on the passenger side, 13/16 ths on the driver side.
It appears that the rear end needs to be shifted over but the car tracks straight and looks good pulling a line down both sides.
Should I shave the inside of the fender?
Looks like 3/16ths should do it going by a straight edge off of the tire.
The tires are new 235 redlines and plane out perfect with a straight edge across both tires side by side.
Both rear springs are new and the measurement is 19 5/8ths on both sides at the top of the jack slots.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I have the exact same problem with my 68. Tires rubbed with passengers in back seat and same clearance difference between left and right side. I'm running 275 /60/15 on Crager 15x8 wheels. I'm considering shaving the lip on the wheel well also.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Former Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilkm68 View Post
I have the exact same problem with my 68. Tires rubbed with passengers in back seat and same clearance difference between left and right side. I'm running 275 /60/15 on Crager 15x8 wheels. I'm considering shaving the lip on the wheel well also.

Summit has an airbag kit that goes inside the springs on the 68 but it doesn't fit the 67.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ai.../gto/year/1968

It would be nice if I could raise it when I have extra weight in the car, I could also use 1" lift blocks but I seldom have 4 people in the car and don't want to change the way the car sits.
It looks like shaving the lip is what I will have to do.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Former Moderator

Well after doing a little more research the stock tire size is 225/70-15 and the tires on the car are 235/70-15.
I think this is why they are rubbing with 4 people in the car.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 09:18 PM

Could it be a salvage yard axle with the wrong off set.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Former Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyore View Post
Could it be a salvage yard axle with the wrong off set.
Maybe that is possible but I had to use kroil and my impact wrench to remove the bolts on the trailing arms, some vintage rust on them and I don't think they have ever been removed.
Does anyone know if there is a number on the rear end I could check to see if this is the original rear end?

Edit: Numbers are on the right rear axle tube near the carrier, I will check these in the AM.

Update: The rear end has code WD which is the 2:93 rear end for this car w/factory air so it is the original rear end that came with the car per the PHS report that came with the car.
The tire barely rubs on the fender and only with 4 people in the car so I will live with it until I need new tires then I will buy the proper 225 tires for the car.

Last edited by Goat Roper; 11-01-2014 at 09:57 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Roper View Post
trailing arms since the bushings were worn and one was slightly bent but after replacing them nothing changed.
If memory serves, it's a coil spring car with a 4 Link and No left to right track bar?
It could be a normal condition. These old cars have lots of history. Could have been slid sideways into a curb and slightly bent all the arms.

I would get it off the ground but with the weight on the wheels and do more eye balling and measuring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Undercarriage, Frame, Transmission and Differential Discussions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in